PDA

View Full Version : looking at getting a Jet 321376 BD-920W lathe

hmcl281
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
my brother and i wants to get a lathe but he thinks that the quality of jet machines r better than those sold at enco.

this is the one he wants to get Jet 321376 BD-920W

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-321376.html

neither of us know much about a metal lathe and i was just wondering if any one has had an experience with the jet lathe? also what other tooling would i need? i'm mainly going to work with aluminum and plastic.

thanks

a link to a beginner guide would help.

Bill Pace
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
There was a thread -- cant remember where, here or one of the other forums -- anyhow guy was just like your bro, thought Jet was 'better' so he buys one and his buddy buys a Harbor frt 9x20 and they think "they sure do look alike". So they start a real up close & personal examination of them and --- guess what? they were identical! cept for paint----- And the HF was $799:eek:

And you might bide your time and catch one of HF's 15 or 20% of coupons....

hmcl281
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
There was a thread -- cant remember where, here or one of the other forums -- anyhow guy was just like your bro, thought Jet was 'better' so he buys one and his buddy buys a Harbor frt 9x20 and they think "they sure do look alike". So they start a real up close & personal examination of them and --- guess what? they were identical! cept for paint----- And the HF was $799:eek:

And you might bide your time and catch one of HF's 15 or 20% of coupons....

thanks

i notice that with milling machines. have to tell my brother about it. he's the one that want to spend the extra on the jet, i'm on the cheaper side.

lakeside53
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
You may think they are identical, but the Jet is better... they have their own QC guys on the line. Think of the HF as the Grizzly rejects, and the Grizzly as the Jet rejects;)

The problem is consistancy - some are decent, some are junk.. you get what you pay for.

Pherdie
05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, during researching my lathe purchase I also heard the story (from Jet HQ) how they have their own QC on the line. Well I'm here to tell you the extra money isn't worth it. The QC person must have been on vacation the day they made my unit. The unit (aka: "Leakin' Lena") still leaks oil like a sieve (every original o-ring was cut), one chuck was bad, the optional taper attachment put a horrendous amount of slop in the crossfeed and the D1-4 spindle taper was ground wrong, just to name a few issues. I did get a new chuck from Jet (at no charge) after a 2-3 month wait.

In all fairness (and with some repair) I can hold some good tolerances under power, but right after I win the lottery, I'm going for a new Hardinge.....:D

Fred

radkins
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
You may think they are identical, but the Jet is better... they have their own QC guys on the line. Think of the HF as the Grizzly rejects, and the Grizzly as the Jet rejects;)

The problem is consistancey - some are decent, some are junk.. you get what you pay for.

In all due respect to your opinion I know from first hand experience with both the HF and Jet lathe that they are indeed the same machine except for the color and price! In fact the HF lathe came with more accessories than the JET, live center, splash guard, etc and there was absolutely ZERO quality differences. They both have the same cheap soft fasteners, CRUDE castings that is filled with auto body filler to smooth them out and I when running it I was forever asking myself "now why the hell did they build this like this"? Both machines are usable but they are very crude, only power feed in one direction (no power cross feed) and the feed mechanism STAYS screwed up from chips falling into it, good luck preventing it I tried everything. The Jet is NOT any better built than the HF and I paid over $500 extra for the privilege of finding this out for myself.

Now after having said all that I do notice that the newer Jet lathe has a different head stock cover and controls (mine however was IDENTICAL to the HF, Grizzly, Enco, etc) but this appears to be cosmetic and is probably nothing but an attempt to distance them from the other brands. The bed and everything else is still the same crappy design.