PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone have a Cameron micro drill press?

thistle
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I managed to find a nice little Cameron micro drill press,
looks unused as well.
(much more fun drilling tiny holes at high speed , with a small drill press).

My question is- do the spindle bearings heat up noticibly
when it is running?

I am using a light turbine oil in the bearings , it gets quite warm, pulled the spindle all looks ok, tried heavier hydraulic oil , same gets warm

is it the nature of the beast to heat up or do i have a problem here i wonder ?

ckelloug
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Why no,
I don't have a drill press. Only a bridgeport mill.

--Cameron

thistle
05-07-2009, 06:12 PM
so does that make it a Cameron mill?

ckelloug
05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Nope,

It's just a bridgeport and it's itching to try out it's new supply of Cubic Boron Nitride inserts for a client funded "crazy project".

I would assume that they are precision bearings with an astronomical preload and are thus likely to heat somewhat. I know that in some systems whether the bearings are preloaded enough is checked by ensuring there is a certain temperature rise in operation. If it isn't flesh searingly hot or making evil noise(tm) I'd assume it to be okay. Of course this paragraph is constructed from general information and from being named Cameron so your mileage may vary when actual Cameron drill presses are involved.

Good luck,

Cameron

J Tiers
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
My question is- do the spindle bearings heat up noticibly
when it is running?

I am using a light turbine oil in the bearings , it gets quite warm, pulled the spindle all looks ok, tried heavier hydraulic oil , same gets warm

is it the nature of the beast to heat up or do i have a problem here i wonder ?

A client has one that I have used. At the speeds near full that I used, the bearings didn't get what I would call very warm in the few minutes we used it. We had it on maybe 10 or 15 minutes as we were actually testing a speed sensor unit at a relatively high speed, like 15k. I understand they will go 25k.

I don't know what the lube is, but I DO know you don't put much of it in. Too much and it will definitely get hot.