PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Everybody

motorcyclemac
05-08-2009, 12:14 AM
It has been a while since I posted. I have been laying about at home reading everything I can to keep from losing my mind. I took a really bad fall on my arse in January of this year and ruptured my L5 disk. I am not doing all that well and am stoned most the time. That being said...I want to thank everyone here for keeping my mind active and thinking about machining. I wander out to the shop and make sure the machines don't get lonely. I want in the worst way to do things and make some chips but I resist with everything I have. I am utterly scared to try anything that requires power tools. Under the influence of Oxycodone I feel too dumb to play with power equipment. I keep thinking about that photo of the guy who got eaten by a big lathe.

Anyway....good to have you folks on the other side of the screen. HSM has been years of great reading...and still gets even better now that I spend so much time at home. I read when I am sitting up in my chair...but I lay down often.. and the laptop doesn't work well in a reclined position.

Make an extra chip or two for this crippled (hopefully temporarily)ol' booger.

Cheers
Mac.

speedy
05-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I keep thinking about that photo of the guy who got eaten by a big lathe.

We dont want another of those images Bill.

I have been stuffing about with some old Raleigh 20's and Healing bicycles that I have in the shed. I have got to make some space ( get rid of important items:D ) so I can more easily negotiate the obstacles with my chair.

Look after yourself.

tony ennis
05-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Your tools are lonely but you're being smart about it. Good for you.

rockrat
05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Hang in there. Let your body heal and keep focused. You'll get back out there soon.

Keep moving around and get better soon.

rock~

Bill Pace
05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Boy o boy, I got just a taste of what youre going thru, and I didnt like it ONE bit:eek:

I been messin with this KOLee grinder and last Thurs I 'tweaked' the ole back -- Fri and Sat were wipe outs, eating Ibuprofin like candy, -- Sun the lure was to strong so wandered out there but pretty quickly found was too soon, so ate some more Ibu and thankfully Tues was back to being able to get around OK...

Im dreading the day when Im not gonna be able to 'spring' back...and at 69 yrs, that is probably not too far off:(

Evan
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
CNC is a good answer to these issues. Load the part, set everything up with all power off and then step back and push the buttons. If it goes haywire press the stop button and turn it all off before approaching.

I have power everything on my tools. The nice thing about electrically powered feeds is that they can be disengaged by flipping a switch. I can't stand in one place for very long, especially to do something like slowly turning the handwheel to do a long cut on the lathe or mill. With electric leadscrew and cross feed on my South Bend I can sit to the end and adjust the feed by turning a knob or disengage it entirely by turning off the electric feed clutch.

Dawai
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
My experience with back injury? well the drugs were harder to quit than to get used to the pain.
They had me taking seven medications a day. I was so addicted to the depression meds and pain meds, and knock out pills to sleep? well.. it took months to get away from them. I don't like pills, or the way they make me feel, useless.. self made moron? NOW they keep trying to put me on Zoloft and other crap.. I like the world and don't want to escape into a mindless life.

Inversion table, like a cot on hinges.. you clamp your ankles in, raise your arms, it inverts.. set the linkages to do it slowly.. your body is in traction. Measure your height before and after a session with one, the discs expand decompressing.

A chinese girl IN colorado springs showed me how to pop my own back like a chiropractor, Mine rusts behind the house. I started to toss it.. but it relieved the pain and I can't part with it.

I have three bad discs, stress making muscles clamp down, making spasms, making it all much worse than it is for me.

age 30-40, the discs go through a softening process, it is very easy to damage them, then they harden more than they were before, if your back is out of alignment when they harden up? OMG.. I can only imagine.. the spine is a stack of bones held together by muscle in alignment.. Funny nobody teaches this to people before they hurt themselves.

Take care.. mind yourself, throw them drugs away as soon as possible. May god bless and relieve your pain.

Bob Ford
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I too did this. Very painful and frustrating. A back brace will help. It is like a girdle and takes some of the strain off your back. Light stretching exercises without straining stressing your back ( Canadian Air force back exercises pamphlet ) had a great routine. Drop the pain meds as soon as you can. Learn that the heavy or awkward things can just stay there until you have a mechanical means of moving them. People do not understand until their back craps out. Take care of yourself so you can make chips again.

Bob

motorcyclemac
05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the kind thoughts everybody.

I have had 1 steroid injection in my spine. I am scheduled for another. They don't seem to work...much if at all. I probably need surgery to fix it. At this point I honestly don't care...I just want the pain gone...and the ability to work again. It is an L&I issue and they are treating this like a joke. They approve a little at a time..not wanting to fix it.

At this point I am constantly stuck with a lean to the right to get away from the pain. I also lean forward like the hunchback. It is a helluva way to live. I cannot lean left or back.

I am not sure where this is heading. I don't really seem to have much say in it. They are totally willing to let me sit and suffer while they decide what to pay for ...and what not. Doesn't seem right....but that is bureaucracy for ya.

Cheers
Mac.

Dawai
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
BE very careful with spinal injections.. THE company doctor I was seeing? well he had a special cocktail.. it was novacaine, steroids, and "saline solution".. what that saline solution does is harden the soft disc..

This makes you near pain free for a while, ten years later it creeps back up on you. Saline causes calcium deposits and other things to impose upon the nerves in there. Lil sharp things that look like stalactites and mites.. Grind on the nerves each time you move. Making your feet go numb and you stumble. Old people shuffle their feet for a reason.

THE pain free part? it lets the company if you were hurt on the job get off much cheaper.. they don't care.. if you are hurt you are no further use to them..

BadDog
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Ouch, back pain is rough, and I know how you feel. My legs are junk, arms not that much better, and the leg problems make me walk off-kilter which in turn causes severe lower back muscle spasms. For this I take both Hydrocodone and muscle relaxers.

Problem is, I hate them both. I just can't understand why people "like" these things. I do "like" them because they make the pain bearable, and are often the only way I can get some sleep, but they make me feel rotten. Still, it's awfully hard to resist taking them when "moderate" pain is starting to wear at me. So I find that having something to look forward to helps keep me from sinking into a narcotic induced haze where the pain is less intrusive. The two primary things I use to motivate myself is my motorcycle and the large machine tools in my shop. I will not operate either if I've had anything stronger than aspirin in the last 3-4 hours (usually longer). I also will not drive a vehicle of any kind after taking anything (even after a single beer), but I do not generally consider the potential for driving a 4 wheeled vehicle to be very motivational. :D In any case, I find that these types of goals help me limit/control the potential for addiction and (hopefully) keep me in control of my life in spite of the pain/drugs. Most days, when these goals/rewards are on my mind, I take half or less the normal daily dosage (and that usually at/near bedtime) and don't feel all that worse for it. But if it's a dreary day, or when I just know I'm not going to be able to do either, the full daily dosage seems very inadequate...

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you find things improving...

DICKEYBIRD
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem. I think all of us in the "trades" have to deal with back problems and they're all different. I've been up & down with mine since the 70's but have been lucky enough to avoid surgery. I got very close to a vicious addiction to hydrocodones. Great stuff until you realize each relief period gets shorter & shorter & shorter and then your inflamed nerves start ignoring it...not to mention what it does to your brain.

During one of the "good" cycles in 2004 I started walking EVERY day for 20-30 minutes, rain or shine. The back pain is still there somewhat but is VASTLY better and easlily tolerable.

I also had to make myself a 4" high foot rest to go under my desk at work to rest my feet on and correct the angle of my legs. Unfortunately, my job requires long hours of sitting which is terrible on your back. Between the daily walking and the foot rest, I haven't had a pain pill or an anti-inflammatory pill for 2 years now. (knock on wood!)

Evan
05-08-2009, 05:58 PM
You guys that complain about the effects of pain relievers should consider this. I have 24/7 pain in every joint of my body and also other places wherever tendons attach to bone. Because of the way that FMS causes ordinary sensations of pressure to be interpreted as pain, pain relievers have no effect, not even very strong ones. The signals are coming through the non-pain part of the nervous system and the only way to stop that is general anesthetic. I would give my left nut for a day without pain. I haven't had such a day in over twenty years except when I used to drink myself stupid. I gave that up as a low quality hobby not worth pursuing.

If you want to look at the down side then basically life sucks and as a reward you get to die. Or, you make the best of it while you can.

motorcyclemac
05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
David, you are right on the money. The injection is a simple "cure" meant to buy time to get back to work...and thus OFF L&I. My Neurosurgeon is fully aware of this..and he hates it. Here in Washington, I have been told that there are escalation levels that surgeons must obey. These are such that he cannot dive in to fix the problem without exhausting all cheap alternatives. He in as much said that I needed to be cut to fix it properly..and he wished that I didn't have to endure all the crap to get there. He really seemed genuinely sorry it had to go like that. I don't like the idea of the fact that I got hurt on the job and L&I is only offering a bandaid to make me think I am fixed. I was 100% prior to the accident...and sheesh...I would like to be at least 95% or better after it is fixed. I know that these things are likely to never be right but is it too much to ask that we get close?

BadDog, I totally understand the motorcycle motivation. I have a 2006 bike in the shop that I haven't been on since winter of 08. Now the weather is here and I am damned tempted to ride. But just like the machine shop equipment I am a little cautious. I fear that I might lean to the left and get a good stab in the back that would distract me mid corner. That and the aspect of leg weakness makes me fear a tip over at a stop sign. I have trained myself to stop at stop signs left foot down..right foot on the brake. I really would hate to have my leg go weak..and drop the scooter. So as long as I have stabbing pain and or using drugs...no bike for now.

I too hate the damn drugs. I try like hell to keep them down to no more than 2 per day. I will grit my teeth and tough it as long as I can thru the day till I HAVE to take another. The help me sleep and that is the only benefit. Without them I wake a lot and sleep deprivation kicks in....making everything much worse.

Dickeybird, I hope someday to be able to go without chemical pain relief. At this point there isn't really a light at the end of the tunnel. The injections don't hold a lot of hope for me. They actually scare me from the stand point that David pointed out. I don't need a relapse in a few years.

Evan, You are very much right. I have had that little "make the most of it" conversation with myself. I figure that if I am stuck sitting on my arse or laying down...I may as well do something. I have been reading a LOT and trying to learn new things. If my glass is half full...it may as well be half full of something worth while.

I have known another person who had FMS. I understand it is crap. Not a good thing. I am sure you would rather have to deal with poor gas mileage or uneven tire wear! I know I would.

But for now...I'll wait and see what happens. It gives me plenty of time to think and that is a good thing. People don't often take time to ponder things as they should. I do know one thing. If I am blessed enough to have my mobility back fully..I will be taking advantage of it. I have a LONG list of things to do in the shop. I have made lists of things to make, equipment to buy, and gun stuff to build. Tomorrow is another day and that gets me closer to a time when I can tinker again...I hope.

I really don't worry about myself. This will either be ok...or not. I don't have a heck of a lot to say about it. The person who I worry about is my dear wife. Hell, I think this has been harder on her than me! She is a good woman and worries too much. I can often tell that she is concerned as she has NEVER seen me out of the game this long ....EVER. I have always gotten hurt..or burned...or cut...and kept working...but this time is different. I think that bugs her more than anything.

Cheers
Mac.

Dawai
05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
One more lil thing... IF you must have surgery to trim a disc? Orthoscopic, you get a half inch incision and don't need some "junkie" blood from being opened up like field dressing a deer..

THOSE wide open surgeries are nearly 60% success rate of recovery.. That alone will make you live with doing without one as long as possible.

They make a bone bondo, if you must have stabilization of a thin disc, rods & bone bondo, kinda rough to heal up on that too.

Had a buddy in Fla who had to have rods put in.. a cargo loader crushed him into a container, picked him up with the load and carried him to the crane offloader.. During his recoup, he had spasms during his nieces wedding at his place.. I carried him, "hairy lil fella in his boxers" through the house full of guests and deposited him in his hot tub.. Talk about some broads in silk & high heels with big eyes??

My back injury is why I don't have that kick start panhead anymore, well one reason.. Other was a much younger redhead.. and baby.

tmarks11
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
been there (still am there after 3 years).

Doctor got me off oxycodone after a year with an epilepsy drug called Lyrica. It blocks nerological pain, so is frequently used in back pain cases. It works better then oxycodone or hyrdocodone for me.

speedy
05-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, IMO, a lot of medical professionals profit well from medical insurance; there are more dollars to be made by treating the symptoms and not the cause.
Painkillers are fine as long as they are not masking the messages; you know, the ones that are telling you that further severe damage is occurring.

Teenage_Machinist
05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Just a second..

Very small machines (such as Sherline) may be a good idea if you want to keep machining. (or Sherline CNC? Combination time!)

FatWheels
05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Guys,

While I am not suffering as acutely as you are, I've been in chronic pain for 23 years with a spinal chord injury. I am paralyzed from the waist down and often from the neck up.:D :D My hats off to TM though, as he's hit on a lifesaver for me.

It doesn't seem to matter what area of endeavor we discuss on this board, someone in this forum is nigh onto a professional or at least highly skilled amateur. People here paint, needlepoint, cook, astrophysics, write cartoon strips, debate, program, etc., with equal aplomb. Sometimes even machine work!! The common thread is having a creative outlet in my estimation. I can't physically do much of what the rest of you do, but smaller and less expensive hobby class tools have opened up this fantastic outlet for me.

I have homier 7X12, a cheap drill press, a port-a-band I made into a stationary cutoff saw, and all the rest which I adapt to my uses. I made a new base for my 14" wood bandsaw so it's low enough to use, a lower tablesaw stand, planer stand, radial arm saw stand and all the rest. Who cares if I make a nickel, I'm tickled tooling up and drooling over all of YOUR projects.

Anybody else ever get a flat tire from swarf? That's the kind of frustration that can ruin your day, or just make you laugh. Thanks TM for an outstanding insight, ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT.

my rant is over now,

God bless and I hope and pray you heal soon,

regards,

Jim

p.s. by God's grace alone, I have all ten fingers too.

motorcyclemac
05-10-2009, 07:37 PM
David says: One more lil thing... IF you must have surgery to trim a disc? Orthoscopic, you get a half inch incision and don't need some "junkie" blood from being opened up like field dressing a deer..

David, That is what my neurosurgeon is suggesting. He doesn't want to extend my arse crack to the back of my ears. Thank God for that. I cannot imagine the PT after being "opened" like that.

Tmarks11 says: Doctor got me off oxycodone after a year with an epilepsy drug called Lyrica. It blocks nerological pain, so is frequently used in back pain cases. It works better then oxycodone or hyrdocodone for me.

Tmarks...thanks for the heads up on that drug. Is there a whole host of side effects on that one?

Speedy says: Painkillers are fine as long as they are not masking the messages; you know, the ones that are telling you that further severe damage is occurring.

Speedy, I know exactly what you are talking about. The Percocets are sort of like putting out a forest fire with a thimble full of urine. Even though I take them I can still feel the sharp stabs when I "get on" the nerves. I TRY like hell to not do that..as it just inflames them something awful. I have to take them 2 at time to get doped enough to make it go away. I never do that as I fear of hurting my spinal cord seriously.

Teenage machinist says: Very small machines (such as Sherline) may be a good idea if you want to keep machining. (or Sherline CNC? Combination time!)

I hope it doesn't come to a point where I would have to machine from a wheel chair. Those are really cute machines. I am a pretty big guy 6'04" and about 290...not a lot of flab.. Maybe I could keep a Sherline...in my pocket?

Cheers
Mac.

Michael Edwards
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Make an extra chip or two for this crippled (hopefully temporarily)ol' booger.

Cheers
Mac.

Sorry to here about your back. I made a couple of knobs for a machine guard out of 303 SS today, hope that qualifies. I see you live "down south" pretty nice weather this weekend. I'm "up north" here in Custer. My free advise ( you get what you pay for) is to try and resist the urge to do something that might prolong your recovery. A few years back I broke my femur while riding my CR500. Took a long time to heal, so I know how hard it is to be patinet while you heal. I just kept thinking how much it would suck if I reinjured it being foolish.

ME

motorcyclemac
05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry to here about your back. I made a couple of knobs for a machine guard out of 303 SS today, hope that qualifies. I see you live "down south" pretty nice weather this weekend. I'm "up north" here in Custer. My free advise ( you get what you pay for) is to try and resist the urge to do something that might prolong your recovery. A few years back I broke my femur while riding my CR500. Took a long time to heal, so I know how hard it is to be patinet while you heal. I just kept thinking how much it would suck if I reinjured it being foolish.

ME

I actually live closer than you think. I am out off Hannagen road...near Smith.

That is the truth about resisting re-injury. I am being VERY careful at the moment. I am damn scared about another fall...while I have nerves pinched.
I am not working at all...for fear of wrecking stuff..... me or the equipment. Neither needs to get wrecked.

I wrecked an early 80's Yamaha 400 two stroker many years back. I trashed my right knee in the tumble. IT is still not right....the knee or the bike.

Cheers
Mac.

Evan
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Is there a whole host of side effects on that one?

I tried that since it apparently does have some effect against FMS pain. So does booze and I could function a lot better drunk than on Lyrica. No thanks.

Get a sample and try it for a day or two. Don't spend a bunch on a prescription at first.

rkepler
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I think you're being wise to avoid machinery in this condition. A few years ago I went though back surgery (my second, first removed 1 disc, second removed 3 in a laminectomy) and was feeling pretty danged good when I got home. Considering just how miserable I was before surgery most anything would have been an improvement. I'd been out of the shop for 3 months since I had been on narcotic painkillers. Since I felt so good I was in the shop 3 days after surgery - and managed to pull my left thumb though an endmill. Brand new one and mighty sharp if I may say so myself. I remember looking at the thumb and thinking that I was lucky that I still had plenty of painkillers. It wasn't the damage (light, really, considering what *could* have happened, 4-5 divots through the nail and back of the thumb) but the sheer stupidity of the accident just days after being under general anesthetic and morphine. Before the surgery I was so careful to stay out of the shop that I bought several "pre-machined" kits of parts and put them together while laying face down on the carpet. I think anymore I'd give it at least a week after surgery or stopping painkillers before I'd go into the shop.

BadDog
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I agree with Evan, get your doc to give you a sample first.

My doc thinks that a significant part of my pain is due to nerve damage and/or entrapment within scar tissue, mostly in my re-attached left leg (severed at the knee). The balance is due to poor circulation and an over-due artificial knee replacement. Based on symptoms, I agree, and as such, I've been through numerous "nerve pain" related medicines and therapies. Many do have very undesirable side-effects, and I've experienced some of them. However, he recently gave me several weeks of Lyrica, and so far, it has been a huge improvement with no noticeable side-effects (yet). The stinging/shooting/zingers that used to keep me up at night, make it miserable just setting around trying to relax, or all too often nearly put me on the ground have subsided by (roughly) 75% in quantity with the remaining seeming to loose 25-50% of the previously experienced pain level. I now get through even boring days (which were usually my most intolerable days) with less medication, and have more "good days" where I feel like doing things. I recently picked up my first paid prescription after 2 (incremental dosage) rounds of "samples". Something like $60 for 30 days AFTER insurance. If it keeps working this well, that's fine by me...

But more so with this type of medicine than most, it seems like what works for one often does not work at all for another, or may bring side-effects not worth the benefit. So talk to your doctor and try the samples first. A sample bottle contains about 2 weeks of medication, and it took a few days to a week or so for me to notice the initial improvements.