PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to IE 8

loose nut
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Since we all need computers to exist on this forum this topic really isn't OT. I recently downloaded IE 8 during a update and found that it is a real pig.

It takes a long time to load and load times for web sites is horrible. It also "broke" my IE Spell, it still give the proper words but doesn't high lite them in the text. There are some text window issue too.

Update at your own risk, I switched to Firefox at least until it's fixed, but it won't import my bookmarks properly, it only gives you a text file without any organizing functions. IE spell is also better then the Firefox built in spell checker.

It seems like IE and Firefox don't like each other.

Why can't they all just get along.

Evan
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I installed it a couple of weeks ago on my new system. It has real problems with some types of content. If it doesn't have the right plugin it will crash. I was getting several crashes a day until I installed the various helper apps. On the good side of that is that each tab is running as a new instance so if it crashes it doesn't take all the tabs with it. I found it necessary to carefully customize the settings to get rid of the various background crap it is trying to run such as updating "web slices", RSS feeds and other assorted bandwidth consumers.

ligito
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
My wife udated hers to IE 8 because she thought she had to.
I don't like the looks and can't find my usual icons, like back and forward.
Autofill must be in there somewhere, maybe you have to go to Tools-Internet Options and dig around.
Once you've upgraded (what a deceptions that word can be) to version 8, you can't go back, so I understand.

I don't let her, or the grandkids touch my PC, she has her own.:(

kendall
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Try downloading the 64 bit version of windows 7 rc, I don't use IE as a rule but was surprised at how fast it seemed. The RC version is good for just over a year

Didn't try the 32 bit version of IE or win7, so can't compare.

Ken.

tony ennis
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I avoid bleeding edge software, especially from Microsoft.

ahidley
05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I've installed IE8 on a pc and have uninstalled it easily. Its in "ad/remove programs" I liked it. It has worked perfectly for me and it actually speeded up both PCs that I installed it on.

Deja Vu
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I went ahead with the IE8 install update. It works just dandy here!

Evan
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I just finished downloading Windows 7- 32 bit. Took me three nights over my satellite connection. When I have time I will be installing it on my Core Duo laptop to see how it works. I will report when I find the time.

kendall
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I avoid bleeding edge software, especially from Microsoft.

Same here for the most part! I normally stay way behind on MS. I used different versions of DOS (Dr-dos etc) well into the XP years, then stuck wth 2K till two years ago.
Tried them all, just didn't care for them enough to switch over.
W7-64 is a winner, haven't tried the 32 bit version yet, have to install another drive, but the only things I can't run on 64 are games that use punkbuster, and that is because of punkbuster itself, they simply WON"T support W7 till it goes RTM. W7 even happily runs XP drivers for some old hardware I'm using.

Evan:
I think you'll like it, very good OS, if MS haven't hit it out of the feild, they've at least reached the fence. Can easily see that it is based on Vista, but vastly improved.

Reminds me of the first time I downloaded Linux, took well over 80 hours on dial-up using getright and a 28.8 modem,(hey that WAS fast!) would turn it on at night before bed, off in the morning for work related calls, then back on before I left for work, then off when I got home, two weeks later they came out with 56k modems.

Ken.

Carld
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
If you don't like IE-8 or any program, etc. you add just to to restore and back the 'puter up to the day before you made the change.