PDA

View Full Version : Wireless laptop adapter problems.

DICKEYBIRD
05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Trying to speed up the wireless connection on the laptop I got a couple mos. ago. It has XP SP3 and works fine with the older Linksys adapter I installed when I reformatted and reinstalled XP originally.

I have a Microsoft MN-720 802.11g adapter from my older Toshiba laptop which should speed things up somewhat. I downloaded & installed MS's MSBBN software which has a wizard for installing the MN-720. The software runs fine until it says "Plug in your MS wireless adapter" and it instantly freezes. The cursor locks up and everything stops...remove the adapter and cursor moves again...plug in the adapter, cursor freezes. If I restart with the adapter plugged in, XP won't load past the 1st screen, unplug the adapter, XP loads. It's like the adapter is shorted or something but it works fine in the Toshiba. Wierd, I thought this PCMCIA stuff should be pretty generic.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

TxBaylea
05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Haven't been posting here but thought I could help in this problem.

This is a shot in the dark but do you have a firewall running? If you do turn it off and try again. If everything works then you may need to open certain specific ports. On-line research to determine which.

Vernon

Rustybolt
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Do you have the disc for the adapter? Sounds like a driver conflict.

DICKEYBIRD
05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Thx R/B & Vernon. I don't have a firewall running and yes I do have the disc but it tells me there's a compatability issue with S/Pack 3. The manual says it's compatable with W98, W2000, ME and XP but something changed I guess in SP3. I just downloaded the latest version of the software from MS's support site but it does the same thing.

It was just on my list of rainy day things to do and is not a critical issue. The LinkSys adapter works fine and I don't notice the lack of speed until I start downloading a good-sized file.

So now I'm going back to beating my head against the wall with TurboCAD Pro trying to get my head around 3D Workplanes & such. I MUST be a masochist. My brain is too old for this stuff.:)

kendall
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
completely uninstall any existing drivers, along with any references to the old adapter in the hardware tab in control panel, make sure none of the adapters are installed, then restart, re-install the adapter and it should start fresh.

My son keeps dealing with the same issue, one adapter works better at his friends house, and the other works better here, every swap causes some issue.

For him, I finally set it up dual boot, each install has drivers for one of the adapters.

Ken.