PDA

View Full Version : New shop floor and chip scrubber

Your Old Dog
05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Finally got a nice floor for the woodshop. Even got a chip scrubber (driveway) to clean the shoes off before I get to the house. Here's some before and after shots.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/45541/2854144570102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/27865/2657485400102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

This is shot of new woodshop floor taken from the loft storage area. This floor is as smooth as tile. It should be very easy to keep clean.

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/45232/2160915090102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/44384/2392605360102651310S600x600Q85.jpg

Now to get it insulated, new overhead thermal door and some storage cabinets and material racks incorporated into it.

Note in the middle picture, the area left of the tower. That's going to be an outside shop for messy jobs like welding, grinding and for working on the bike, atv and lawnmower. Going to pick up one of the hydraulic motorcycle (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94121) lifts that Harbor Freight has and plant it in the middle of that portion of the pad. Plan to mount an outside workbench to the side of the barn wall that will be on hinges so I can fold it down when more room is needed on the pad. I may put a shade/snow roof over that area. The tree is a white Mulberry tree and just rains down ripend mulberrys that make a mess of everything. Too nice a shade tree to cut down. The grade is level from the machine shop to anywere else on the concrete. I can wheel my tool chest into the garage if I choose. The weldors can be moved outside with little or no effort. I think it's going to work out great since I can't horse anything with the bad ankles.

Oh yea, happy mutha's day you muthas!

kc5ezc
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
YOD: You need to get some antennas on that tower. With the stuff they have now you could wear a bluetooth something and talk to everybody while you are filling up that spiffy new shed.

rockrat
05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
No kidding, that tower could hold up a rig or two.

Nice job on the floor. Did you pour it yourself or hire it out?

rock~

Alguy
05-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Nice job I like the buildings with lofts . I see many yards of concrete, Rockrat seems to get excited when he see bare concrete, it gets him to thinking about the possibilities. :D

Your Old Dog
05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
...........Nice job on the floor. Did you pour it yourself or hire it out?

rock~

I poured a 25 foot section of sidewalk and a 5x8 stoop on the hottest day in August a few years ago, thought I'd die. Lucky for me I had asked a friend come by just in case I got into trouble but didn't think he'd have to get dirty! Told him he could drink beer while I did all the work. It didn't quite work out like I had it planned, it was a nightmare! No I hired this out and they have a crew of 8 or 9 guys that have been together for a while and know what they are doing. I couldn't be a water boy on this crews team :D Supposedly if the weather cooperates they will finish it out to the road today.

bollie7
05-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Good stuff, you certainly won't regret doing it.
I reckon thats the best type of pavers you can lay. Grey concrete, never goes out of fashion, If its done properly it won't move about under the car wheels. weeds won't grow up through it and its hard for someone to pick it up and chuck it through a window.
Can you tell I like concrete?

regards

bollie7

Your Old Dog
05-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks Bollie! Well I was going to have it done in asphalt originally but then the concrete guy who poured my tower base showed up to see how the base was holding up. I mentioned I was going have asphalt drive put in and he asked if he could give me an estimate. The asphalt was $8,000 and the concrete was $11,300. It was a no brainer for me. Now I don't have to worry about car tire dimples from parking in the same spot. Asphalt prices rise and fall with fuel prices but right now they are high. Our kitchen porch that we use is right beside it and blacktop would have added to the heat where concrete won't. I don't normally get this lucky to have the economy working in my favor :D

Dawai
05-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Where's the Handy lift motorcycle lift? you keep your bike parked on it.. to keep it clean.

Ok.. nice change of cleanliness. I gotta clean my fab shop to spray some primer on my pivic and the 71 camaro. I blew a air hose in there yesterday and could not see for the cloud. Still got crap in left eye from that.

Deja Vu
05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
"quote Your Old Dog:
Plan to mount an outside workbench to the side of the barn wall that will be on hinges so I can fold it down when more room is needed on the pad."
==================
This I'd like to see.
Don't leave the bench up too long at a stretch....you'll be spending a day just to clean it off to enable lowering. :D

nice expansion!

Your Old Dog
05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
"quote Your Old Dog:
Plan to mount an outside workbench to the side of the barn wall that will be on hinges so I can fold it down when more room is needed on the pad."
==================
This I'd like to see.
Don't leave the bench up too long at a stretch....you'll be spending a day just to clean it off to enable lowering. :D

nice expansion!

I know what you're saying as I have two benchs in the machine shop. One for working on and one for piling crap on! It's been a weakness of mine since I was born. The outside bench will be left down most of the time as it will shed rain better. Leaving it up would just cost me great bench top in short order.

bollie7
05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I know what you're saying as I have two benchs in the machine shop. One for working on and one for piling crap on! It's been a weakness of mine since I was born.
Ha Ha, You are not on your own thats for sure. It's been my experience that it doesn't matter how big the work bench is, after a couple of weeks you end up with an area about 24" X 12" thats clear enough to work on.

bollie7

andy_b
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
oh, wait that is supposed to be "mulberry trees suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)
we have a few of them. as you say, if it wasn't for the shade, the dang things would already be cut down.
that pad came out NICE!!!!! someday i need to get my garage cleaned out again and start over (with piling junk up in it). i really need one more building. just a small one, about 20'x60' with a loft on one end. and a concrete floor. and two roll up garage doors. and insulated.

andy b.

madman
05-11-2009, 09:51 PM
antennas? Well cables nicer? But how about a crows nest? You could sit up there with the .22 and pot some dinner and have a few beers and noone would even think of looking up to find you. Perfect hiding spot? Whenever i climb up my anteaaa my wife says the reception gets bad, (it really wiggles a lot cause im about 250 pounds) LOL

Robin R
05-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Looking good, I think pouring the slab for the additions at the same time was a good idea.

rockrat
05-12-2009, 08:40 AM
I had my shop floor poured and was pleased until it cracked on one side of the shop. The pour on that side came in hot and the guys working it knew it. They should have sent the load back but....

Anyhow, I planned to add a stoop out the man door and a pad (5'x5') around back for outside stuff. Off to the side and away from the building, will be a sand "pad" for casting projects.

Now I poured the stoop and it looks good but it was a bit of work. I borrowed a mixer and that made all the difference. I now wish I had laid out the pad around back and let them pour it as well. Pouring your own, while not impossible, can be a hassle.

rock~

Deja Vu
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
The tree is a white Mulberry tree and just rains down ripend mulberrys that make a mess of everything.

huh? We've got a big Mulberry in our yard that gets loaded with white mulberries....but it's cleaned before the berries even hit the ground.
With the robins and the squirrels(they entertain with their acrobatics out on the limbs), and other critters, the berries just disappear right off the tree....no mess at all.

..About that outdoor pad.... are you considering adding a sort of "lean-to" roof for those rainy days? Then it would make sense to keep the bench up to accomodate stuff looking for space. :rolleyes: