PDA

View Full Version : (hate when they do this) Machine Price Ballpark

Liger Zero
05-12-2009, 07:28 AM
http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/1165244232.html

Says best offer.

Assuming that it's in "good" condition what should I offer for it?

Its an Clausing 8520 with some accessories.

Doozer
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I think offering $800 is a good starting point to dicker.
It is worth more than that, but starting there starts off negotiations on the right foot. I paid over two grand for my 8520, and it was in excellent shape. I like my mill very much. Worth every penny I paid.
--Doozer

JCHannum
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
That looks like a nice clean machine. The vise is way too big though.

Clausings and Rockwells usually sell in the $1500-$2500 range with little trouble assuming decent condition.

Doozer
05-12-2009, 07:54 AM
My vise is a 5" Kurt. It is mounted in the front T-slot, and I milled off the back coolant trough lip. The Y-axis travel on this machine is 4.90" The vise open to just over 5", so for me, the 5" Kurt is a good fit for my machine.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/Machines%20and%20Stuff/IMG_0110.jpg

--Doozer

sansbury
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Be sure to tell him you will show up tomorrow with cash and a truck to take it away. Selling things on CL you get a lot of time-wasting tire kickers. The guy who offers $800 and means it is worth ten guys who say $1200 and don't follow through.

lazlo
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I've seen Clausing 8520's go for $1,000 - $1,5000, depending on condition, and that would looks like it's in really good condition.

By the way, the Heisenberg principle of posting Ebay ads on a machinist forum also applies to Craigslist ads :)

interrupted_cut
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I passed on a fully tooled R8 8520 in great shape for $2200 last year here in SoCal. It quickly sold at that price, though. In retrospect, it wasn't a bad deal. It just seemed a little small. Came with both 3 phase and single phase motors. Perfect for a small or basement shop.

Waterlogged
05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Be prepared to pay up to $2000. It appears to be in great shape basis the pictures and the little tooling shelf says something about the owner and how he maintained it. Assuming it's actually in good condition, get ready to pay top dollar if necessary. $1000 or less might be a steal.

Liger Zero
05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
No reply as of yet to my offer of $1000.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

kendall
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
No reply as of yet to my offer of $1000.

I'll keep ya'll posted.
Another CL irritant, many people have their spam filters set so high that you can't get a message to them.

I got a response from someone three weeks after emailing about the thing, said it was in his spam folder. Asked if I was still interested and I told him that since I hadn't heard from him, I'd bought a different one. He offered me his at 1/3rd the price I was willing to pay, so I bought it. Which is good, because I really didn't buy one, just worked around not having it.

Things that get me are people who state 'accepting bids', or taking offers, or have a dozen different items photographed at one time so they can use the same photo for each thing they sell.

The clausing is good, looks like a well cared for machine, I got mine cheap, but it was a poorly maintained machine, good operatingcondition but it just looked like the owner didn't really care about it, even so when I got rid of it, I tripled what I had into it.

Ken.

Mcgyver
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Another CL irritant, many people have their spam filters set so high that you can't get a message to them.

spam filters are a bigger problem than spam, makes one mental.....

what makes me mental though, the biggest dumbass move on these internet classifieds are the "serious offer" ones, you know, make me a serious offer. gets me because its just such a time waster chasing them down, having a look, only find out the guys an idjit and has no clue on value

what i want to say is ....Well you stupid m$%#% $%er, a serious offer is any offer I'm prepared to go through with. Thats what a serious offer means. What you really mean is make me an offer at close to what you think its worth.....well how the #$#@ am i supposed to know what you think because dollars to donuts you're completely out to lunch on value by magnitudes! If you want close to what you want, post a bloody asking price on it......saying make an offer is fine but its just insulting adding the "serious" - any offer i make is serious and who the @$#& awarded you the high-ground on value assessment?

How many morons are out there wanting 4x what its worth? Here's the current knucklehead of the month, wants 7400 for this DSG in "very good" condition, lol, rusted and every zerk on it filled with grease and sitting in an unheated trailer cuz they replaced it with a lathe where the on/off buttons aren't broken off ........and he wants 7400 for it.....and I'm supposed to be "serious" grrrrrrrrr. http://oshawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Dean-Smith-Grace-Type-13-1-13-x-42-Machinist-Lathe-RF197-W0QQAdIdZ85135118

time for a beer and some tranquill time in the shop

Waterlogged
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
If you get it for $1000 after telling everyone on this forum exactly where it is, you're darn lucky.