PDA

View Full Version : How do I read this wiring diagram?

hornluv
05-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm very confused about the wiring diagram on this Dayton motor. It's not exactly clear which wires are supposed to be grouped together and I don't want to fry it. I'm wiring it for 110. Is it Black/White/Yellow and Brown/Orange/Red? What do I do with purple? Does anyone have any insight?

http://www.deharohorns.com/pictures/machining_pics/DaytonMotorDiagram.JPG

Thanks,
Stuart

J Tiers
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Apparently just as it shows..... group (connect with wire nut, etc) the wires as shown by the dots.

Purple is the "other" input line

Lew Hartswick
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Apparently just as it shows..... group (connect with wire nut, etc) the wires as shown by the dots.

Purple is the "other" input line
Yep it can't get much plainer. What part of it didn't you understand?
...lew...

hornluv
05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
What part of it didn't you understand?

Being as I am completely clueless about electrical things, all of it. J Tiers, I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do with the purple lead. What do you mean by "the 'other' input line"

Thanks,
Stuart

Paul Alciatore
05-12-2009, 11:18 PM
The first diagram shows the hookup for low Voltage which from the ratings on the left is 115 Volts. This is nominally the same as the 110 Volts you stated. The other diagram on the right is for 208 or 230 Volts (or 220): these three are also nominally the same and are approximately twice the 110 or 115 low Voltage.

SO:

1. You connect the black, white, and yellow together AND to one side of the line.

2. The other side of the line goes to the purple by itself.

3. Finally, the brown, orange, and red are connected together and insulated from the line. They are NOT connected to anything else.

You will have a total of three wire nuts.

Oh, and be sure to ground the frame of the motor (green wire in the cord).

hornluv
05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you very much, Paul. That was a very clear and helpful explanation.

Carld
05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Umm hmm, and don't forget to put the switch in line with the black wire, not the white wire. Unless of course your just using a plug and if so put the white wire under the screw that is white and the black wire under the screw that is brass colored and the green wire under the screw that is green.

CCWKen
05-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Apparently, a picture is NOT worth a 1000 words. :rolleyes: