PDA

View Full Version : email with less memory hog habits.

motorcyclemac
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey guys....

What is the general feeling about email programs? I am using Outlook. I just had occasion to open the task manager...and noticed that it is a huge memory hog. Is there a better more stream lined program to manage email? The only stumbling point is that I have 3 emails to pull and I run Vista...

Anyone? Anyone...?

Thanks
Mac.

JABautsch
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Have you tried GMAIL.com?

andy_b
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
i'm using Thunderbird. one thing i really like about it is that when you make a subfolder in the program, it makes an actual subdirectory/folder on your harddrive with the new subfolder name. you can make a backup by just copying the directory, and if you want to view it later you can just copy the directory into the main directory where T-bird is putting your mail files. the folder then shows up in T-bird and you can read it. no need for weird exports and imports of data files like microcrap products.

also, you can install T-bird into a directory you name. then you can make a shortcut on your desktop to fire up the specific version of T-bird in a specific directory. that is what my wife and i do so we keep our email separate instead of switching logins all the time.

andy b.

kendall
05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Firefox has an email program available, Thunderbird I think it is. Never used it, but it's supposed to be pretty good.
Seamonkey web browser also comes with an email client.

I use browser based mail services, yahoo hotmail etc, never bothered setting up the accounts that came with my ISP.

Ken.

lwalker
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I've used Thunderbird for the last 3 years or so. Works fine for me and it's a free download from mozilla.com

dp
05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I use Thunderbird and also run my own mail servers. If you want light weight and convenience and don't mind who else reads your mail you can use gmail, hotmail, or yahoo. Since these run in a browser there's not much memory hogging going on.

john hobdeclipe
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Thunderbird

lazlo
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Dennis: what's your Task Manager say about your Thunderbird footprint?
I just checked Outlook 2007, and it's running 75 MBytes.

I hate Outlook Express (at home) and was about to install Outlook on my home machines, but if Thunderbird uses less memory...

dp
05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Dennis: what's your Task Manager say about your Thunderbird footprint?
I just checked Outlook 2007, and it's running 75 MBytes.

I hate Outlook Express (at home) and was about to install Outlook on my home machines, but if Thunderbird uses less memory...

T-bird in Windows XP is 24 MBytes, 64 MBytes on the Mac. I would expect that mail indexs and index sizes will change the run-size in both Windows and MacOS and I have none in Windows cuz I never use Windows except for Rhino and Streets and Trips.

cuemaker
05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
My outlook (Outlook 2007) on Vista 64bit is only using 56.5mb

lazlo
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
My outlook (Outlook 2007) on Vista 64bit is only using 56.5mb

I have 1,981 items in my inbox. :) Corporate requirement -- we can't archive email for legal reasons.

aboard_epsilon
05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
if you leave it running in the start menu ..it will

turn the thing off ..
and just periodically check your emails from a shortcut.

all the best.markj

Lew Hartswick
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I used Netscape for YEARS and recently updated to SeaMonkey
these are "all in one" Browser and e-mail/news groups so switching
back and forth is "seamless".
...lew...

ligito
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I have 1,981 items in my inbox. :) Corporate requirement -- we can't archive email for legal reasons.

Are the legal requirements any different than those of a local government?
When I work for them, we can delete any read e-mails and archive when they nag us to do so.

At home, I use Outlook Express because the icons are bigger and easier to see.

sansbury
05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I know it's not the answer you want, but this is part of why I switched to a Mac when my Dell was up for replacement back in January. I have several GB of mail from my business and refuse to spend hours sifting through deciding what to delete and what to archive. On Apple Mail I can search 20k+ messages more or less instantly and my machine never bogs down or freezes just because it's getting mail. My WinXP machine was well-speced and ran other apps just fine, but Outlook was a pig. Apple mail does less but what it does, it does pretty darn well.

5 months on I am 100% happy with the switch. MS still makes plenty of good products but Outlook seems to get worse with every version.

MTNGUN
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Using Thunderbird with two IMAP accounts and one POP account. IMAP because mail is stored on the server, not my PC, making it easier to access the accounts on several different PCs, plus, if my hard drive crashes, I don't lose any mail. IMAP is slow, though, especially on a satellite connection.

T-bird is using 42 mb at the moment, running in Linux.

The day will come when T-bird is replaced by webmail --- just open another tab in your browser instead of opening a resource sucking program. The Gmail web interface is getting pretty decent, though not as nice or as versatile as the T-bird interface. It's just a question of time until webmail catches up to conventional mail programs.

lakeside53
05-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I put 2G-4G in my machines... and don't worry about application footprint...

I've run outlook for 12 years... never had any problems.. about a 7G of messages archived (locally).