PDA

View Full Version : Another FM Vault Rifle Question

chriskat
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking about making the FM2 because I've read, here I think, that it's a little easier and because I like the "normal" hammer configuration.

Anyway, my question is about fitting the stock. How do people go about cutting the channel in the forend? Just manually rasp it out?

I was thinking if I use a barrel that isn't tapered I can use a router bit, or bull nosed end mill. But the straight barrels I see on Midway are 1.2" diameter which means I'll have to turn quite a lot down; which I can do but it doesn't seem terribly productive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Bob Ford
05-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I choose the FM2 for much the same reasons . Besides the hammer I really do not like the angled firing pin that is not a Mann - Neidner type. See page 35.

Cutting the barrel groove in the forearm is not that hard. Use a scrap piece of 2x4 and give it a try. Layout the center and the edges of the barrel and using gouges, chisels, scrapers, and even rotary rasps remove the wood. When nearing depth. Use a smoky lamp. Small kerosene lamp without chimney set to smoke. Blacken barrel and press in groove, this leaves marks on the wood to be removed. If you want quick and dirty set up and mill or use router cut to barrel line save about inch at the front end t make it look good. Use glass bed to fit barrel. I like to free float my barrels and have .020-.030 clearance from barrel to wood.
Scraped both their buttstock and forearm mounts and made my own. Forearm hangs on a .375 steel rod. Which is attached to a .375 plate that is attached to the action with 4 - 10x32 socket head cap screws.

Bob

Bob Ford
05-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Chriskat,

If you use a octagon barrel, either full or 1/2. It would be easier for you to fit to the stock. If you have at least a 12 inch travel on your mill you could machine the flats yourself. I did my first one on a little mill/drill.

Bob

BigBoy1
05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I hate to sound stupid. but what is an FM Vault Rifle? Can someone post a picture of what one looks like? Is it a rifle that just sits in a security vault once it is completed? I don't have a clue as to anything about it. Type? Caliber? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

JCHannum
05-17-2009, 04:41 PM
The actual title is FM Vault Lock action. It is a single shot action designed by Frank DeHaas to be home built with a minimum of tools. It is a type of falling block action that uses a round breech block similar to the locking lugs on a bank vault. Hence the name.

Bob Ford has several photos of a very nice one he built in this thread;

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33676