PDA

View Full Version : Sport Flying

aostling
05-14-2009, 01:04 AM
This amphibious airplane has a 34-foot wingspan and a 100 hp engine http://www.iconaircraft.com/. It costs $139,000, and obeys the FAA limit of 120 mph. Might be a fun way to explore some remote lakes in Alaska or BC.

dp
05-14-2009, 01:44 AM
A smaller version of one of my favorite flying boats, the SeaBee:

https://www.seaplanes.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=369&Itemid=377

I always thought this would be the ultimate sea bass or salmon fishing machine. Fly out to where they're hitting 10 miles off the Washington coast, set it down and wet a line while lounging on the after deck, then fly back home in time for dinner.

Had fresh cod for dinner tonight - mmmmmm!

Evan
05-14-2009, 04:54 AM
The reality of float and seaplanes is that they make lousy boats. As soon as you get on the water you are entirely at the mercy of the wind. I have flown a few hours on floats and if there is any wind at all you run out of options fast. Turn into the wind and take off or head for the dock/beach/rocks :eek:

Doc Nickel
05-14-2009, 05:41 AM
The reality of float and seaplanes is that they make lousy boats.

-That's probably because floatplanes are generally not intended to be "boats". The floats (or amphibious hull a'la the PBY) are merely to allow the plane to land on a body of water instead of a prepared landing strip.

One doesn't "boat around" in a floatplane the same way one doesn't taxi down main street in a wheeled plane.

[edit]
Forgot to mention; that plane design is actually pretty cool. Maybe not all that useful, but it's nicely done. When are we gonna get our mini-jets like Bond's Silver Bullet? :D

Doc.

Evan
05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
That's probably because floatplanes are generally not intended to be "boats". The floats (or amphibious hull a'la the PBY) are merely to allow the plane to land on a body of water instead of a prepared landing strip.

One doesn't "boat around" in a floatplane the same way one doesn't taxi down main street in a wheeled plane.

Yes, of course. However the entire premise of the aircraft in question is that it can serve as a boat. If people buy it for that reason they will be very disappointed.

radkins
05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Although that may be a decent design the aviation world, and especially the sport and experimental sectors, has always been rife with wild and imaginative ideas. Some are successful and are truly innovative in nature while others (most) are more fantasy than practical and over the years most sport aviation publications have run ads and even articles on the "next generation of flying machine" that promises to revolutionize sport flying and change the way we look at aircraft. To the casual non-flier looking at these ads/articles it might seem that all they need to do is order an info packet (seems they are all big on info packets :rolleyes: ), decide what best suits them and run down to the nearest dealer and bring it home! The fact is that very few designs actually become production aircraft beyond the prototype and maybe a couple of homebuilt examples, most of these things never get past the pre-production stage and of those that do most simply fade away. It may sound like a heck of a lot of fun to just hop into your plane, fly out to where "the big ones are" (that line was taken from an actual ad) and then fly home at the end of the day but in the real world what really happens is a head-on collision of fantasy and reality!

jcc3inc
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I guess the BIG problem I see is the price! And I do understand why it is so high. Anyone with 139K to spend can surely get a lot more aorcraft than this!
For $139K you can get quite a fine Bonanza or other plane that flies at 170 to 190 MPH with lots of comforts.

Jack C.

RPease
05-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess the BIG problem I see is the price! And I do understand why it is so high. Anyone with 139K to spend can surely get a lot more aorcraft than this!
For $139K you can get quite a fine Bonanza or other plane that flies at 170 to 190 MPH with lots of comforts.

Jack C.

Sure.........but how are they on water.........:D

dp
05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Here's what my old plane would look like on floats:

http://www.dougronan.com/ontario/images/InterestingFloat/ercoupe.jpg

Not bad, actually.

sansbury
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Like boats, the true cost of an airplane is not the purchase price, but the maintenance, insurance, and running costs. $140k is still a middle-aged Bonanza, what do you think an annual is going to cost?

Also, a Bonanza can be landed on a lake, but can't take off from one.

A more fair comparison would be to something like a Lake amphibian. A good used LA4-200 will easily go for $100k+, and the maintenance costs on them can be painful. Meanwhile, it's still basically a 2 people-plus-fuel airplane, and doesn't do much over 100 knots. You need to move up to the LA4-260 to get real speed, and then you're looking at real money.

The thing that makes me skeptical is when the Icon was announced a year or so ago, they were quoting a price closer to $200k, which frankly sounded realistic to me. We're looking at ~$130k right now for much more conventional sportplanes, and this machine has things like a boat hull, folding wings, and retractable gear that all cost money. Cirrus has had a very difficult time getting to profitability and they have had years of solid volume to work it out. I like the Icon but not sure if they can make it for that price.

steverice
05-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Didn't Bob Cummings have one of those in his tv show back in the 50's?

dp
05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Cummings, a pilot, had a Taylor Aerocar:

http://www.aerocar.com/
http://www.roadabletimes.com/roadables-modular_aerocar.html

Thruthefence
05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Wasn't it "Love that Bob!" ?

We're showing our age here.........

"Writing fan letters to Sky King 'n Penny..................."

Apologies to J. Buffet