PDA

View Full Version : ot/ot homeshop only by proxy

interiorpainter
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
For several weeks now i can not make a connection with this site other than by proxy. This is the only site that does not work. I can reach the practical without a problem.
Sure you know what a hassle that is.
I think the moderator did not receive my pm of last week.
Any suggestions.

Your Old Dog
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
you trying to connect from work? Our bosses had certain popular sites blocked out so we wouldn't waste time and his money.

George Bulliss
05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I have not heard of anyone else having problems lately and no, I did not get your PM. I think there was some discussion a few weeks back about similar problems. I donít remember the specifics but maybe a search will turn up some answers. As far as I know (for whatever that is worth), nothing has changed on this end.

George

MCS
05-14-2009, 04:36 PM
From this end there has been a change:

I log in via the addressbar with: www.homeshopmachinist.net

After that I get since a week or so:

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home?noredirect=true

My pc doesn't understand the changed layout off the frontpage either, but the rambling on the general forum I read is the same, so there is nothing to worry about.

Alistair Hosie
05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
ramblings ramblings don't you mean intellectual discourse.:DAlistair

MCS
05-14-2009, 05:01 PM
ramblings ramblings don't you mean intellectual discourse.:DAlistair

Yes, of course, it's philosophical, beyond my comprehension.
Us, Neanderthals, see everything as rambling.

Sorry to offend your unlimited intellect.

Maybe we Neanderthals have a different opinion on flu prevention by shooting, or be prepared to shoot, but in the end we will see the light.

interiorpainter
05-15-2009, 07:11 AM
I am my own boss with to much time on my hand at times. Puter is mine.
The problems started when i had a lemon for a computer but now i have got an Apple but this problem remains.
I am going to ask someone to have a look at this mac, the one thing that is left are the modem setting.
Not even every proxy can find this site and the link provided did not work for me.
You won't believe the amount of time it took to post this.
Thank god it is not structural for this bbs otherwise traffic would suffer.
Thanks for the suggestion and there is always the Practical:rolleyes:

bob ward
05-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Using my trusty Mac, I normally just come straight to this page http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

As MCS has done, if I log into www.homeshopmachinist.net I end up at www.homeshopmachinist.net/home?noredirect=true or sometimes at www.homeshopmachinist.net/home both of which seem to be the same page.

After a bit of head scratching I click on 'Interactive' which brings me here.

2ManyHobbies
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I've had something similar caused by an MTU mismatch. Your internet connection may have a lower MTU than your computer. If this is the case, then a proxy may be handshaking correctly to change it for the connection where a direct method may not.

gnm109
05-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Have you checked your security settings? Could this site be ruled "unsafe" in some setting within your computer.

I don't know much about computers but I considered sleeping at a Hliday Inn last night when my wife discovered how much I spend on tools....phew!

Evan
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
A mismatch in MTU will only slow down your connection. It shouldn't affect your ability to connect.

interiorpainter
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
You have come up with an infinitif amount of solutions more than the helpdesk of my provider. 0
Good thing i went to the phoneshop and used their telephone otherwise that answer would have cost me about 10 euro.
I already was a bit annoyed by this company so this is a good enough reason for me to switch.
The strange thing is this problem came out of the blue without me messing with the settings and the helpdesk does not acknowledge this.
I Googled this provider and came up with similar problems. A glitch of some sort.
Hope to switch soon otherwise i have to make chips.
Thanks.

Carld
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
About a week ago when I clicked on the Home Shop Machinist site from my favs and clicked on the BBS in interactives it displayed a new site that was minimized. After doing that a few times I just added that new site to my favs and now use it rather that going to the Home Shop Machinist site. Their loss, my gain I guess. At least it's faster and I don't have to use the home site anymore, I go directly to the forum now.