PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for clamp's swivel pads.....

DR
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a dozen or so high quality, American made C-clamps with missing swivel pads.

One time I made a few pads with slits so they could be crimped around the clamp's ball ended screw. They work okay, but the crimping is an imprecise operation.

This time I'd like to have some kind of snap ring to affix it to the clamp screw. My thought is to machine pad as usual, then make an o-ring type groove and have a round wire ring snap into the groove. The ID of the ring in it's relaxed state would be smaller than the diameter of the ball on the screw. The pad would snap over the screw end and stay until the screw was backed way off.

First question, anybody know of snap rings of this type? The OD of the ball end on most of the clamps is .451"

Second question, anybody got a better idea?

The Artful Bodger
05-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I think it is a good idea and I know I have a couple of clamps I should use it on.

If getting the spring rings is a problem why not make them? The spring characteristics are not very critical and I think you could make them by cutting turns out of a suitable coil spring or even by wrapping springy wire (piano wire?) around something round.

winchman
05-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Just drill a recess in the back of the pad so it'll slip on the ball. Saw two slots on opposite sides of the OD, and snap an O-ring (with a small cross-section) into the slots.

The tension on the O-ring will be enough to keep the pad from falling off, but it'll be easy to remove and install.

Roger

JDF
05-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Search around Frank Ford's posts... or search around my own. I couldn't find it right this instant, but I've linked to Frank's site before where he made small ball feet for clamps. No reason they couldn't be expanded, and its certainly not an imprecise operation. Crimping yes, but spot on.

speedy
05-15-2009, 04:08 AM
I have a dozen or so high quality, American made C-clamps with missing swivel pads.
This time I'd like to have some kind of snap ring to affix it to the clamp screw. My thought is to machine pad as usual, then make an o-ring type groove and have a round wire ring snap into the groove. The ID of the ring in it's relaxed state would be smaller than the diameter of the ball on the screw. The pad would snap over the screw end and stay until the screw was backed way off.

The ID of the ring in it's tensioned state would be smaller than the diameter of the ball on the screw.
Much like the design that Noga use with their articulated holders??
Machine foot, drill hole, machine grrove. Cut small side slit/opening to aid in fitting and removing circlip. Use spring steel coil from a a spring as has been suggested by TAB.
--
On recollection: I have some HD fabricated steel G clamps, kiwi made "Nusteel" (?), that have a machined foot.
The bore that accepts the ball end. The entrance is slightly undersize then relieved further in to accept the ball. Also chamfered at the bore entrance. When I reconditioned these I have removed these feet by unscrewing until they pop off . Refitting them is achieved by simply closing the clamp onto the foot.

John R
05-15-2009, 08:06 AM
McMaster Carr has a snap on replacement pad
John R