PDA

View Full Version : What is Required??

madman
05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
To weld a cheap chinese hydraulic jack base to a piece of 1018 flat plate material about 3/8 inch thick? I tried to weld this material and used regular mig welder wire and it seems to work BUT i lift heavy machinery with my homemade toe jack and wondered if i did it right.,. thanx mike

Dawai
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM
No.. cast metal on the cheap jack..

I've welded a dozen of them, they all broke. Putting a plate of steel under them and capturing them in a flange plate sandwich seems to work better than anything.

ANYTHING that is critical and cast iron, and not very good quality of that should be supported well and on a flat surface.. ie: plate steel.

I weld that junk better drinking than sober, steadier, slower hand.. and I don't give a rats ass then either. I welded the flange back on a set of ramhorn chevy exhaust manifolds.. about fifteen years later it still is holding, preheat, stainless mig wire (accident) and tri-mix gas on the old lincoln mig.

I got a old woodstove here, non-critical weld I been looking at.. Henrob gas welder? or mig, or try the tig??

hardtail
05-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I weld that junk better drinking than sober, steadier, slower hand.. and I don't give a rats ass then either.

Alas the centuries old secrets have just been revealed..........LOL

radkins
05-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Your best bet would be to braze it with a good bronze brazing rod but you can weld it with a Nickel rod, in this case the Ni 55 would probably be the best choice. In either case you MUST grind off all traces of the previous welding attempt because the incompatibility of the steel MIG wire and cast iron and will carry over and most likely ruin the next weld even if proper fillers are used.You will find that the transition area between the MIG weld bead and the base metal (on the cast iron part) will be extremely hard and can not be filed or even cut with a carbide burr. This area must be removed prior to re-welding because the hard material will also be extremely brittle and almost certainly have cracks under the weld.