PDA

View Full Version : Bigfoot repair

madman
05-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope i didnt post this twice? I thought i had already posted but cant find it LOL. No im just hungover from last night. 48 patio stones 150 rolls of sod and 3 tons of river rock im done. I need to fasten a awning onto my bigfoot camper. Im thinking of fiberglassing plates to the outside surface. Also the camper (pickup truck type) needs some cracks repaired Any tips on how to fix OLD fiberglass 1984 vintage ??thanx guys

barts
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Depends how strong it has to be... for max strength, you need to get way down into the glass coat itself w/ a grinder... and then build up the missing material w/ glass & epoxy (West System works well here). If the loads are low, you may be able to get by w/ using a polyurethane glue (Sikaflex works well) to fasten load-spreading blocks to the fiberglass. You'll need to remove weathered gel coat, etc, to get a good bond.

If the design allows you to add stuff on the inside of the camper, it will be easier to hide the results.

Remember that fiberglass doesn't handle point loads well. If your awning needs to stay up in high winds, you really need to spread the load out over many square inches to prevent flexing and cracking of the fiberglass. If it doesn't have to be pretty, you can just grind off the gel coat and then add several layers of fiberglass cloth wet-out w/ epoxy to the outside...

- Bart

Quetico Bob
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Ya I hear you on the work. 150 casts etc, etc. to many fish and not enough time. I'm done too, not sure if I can do it again tomorrow. Can't help you with the camper but if you need any tips on the above let me know.
Cheers, Bob