PDA

View Full Version : bridgeport powerfeed

davidh
05-16-2009, 06:35 PM
i almost hate to ask but . . . i would really like to have a simple power drive for my j-head style bridgeport.

i don;'t use this machine to make a living, just tinkering and repairing stuff. i probably don;t need it, but want it. "its just $$$$$, i'll make more"

does anyone have experience with this exact unit ?
http://www.shars.com/products/view/364/Milling_Machine_Power_Feed_X_Traverse_135inlbs

the price seems reasonable, and i am sure i could not make one myself for much less. . . . . are they any good ? or is there something else i should look at in the same price range ?

i would really like an opinion or two., please ?

thanks,

davidh

kvom
05-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like the same Chinese units you see under different brand names (e.g., Asong). In a home shop it will probably hold up OK. I would get the 150 in-lb unit for the extra few $.

Servo makes the best units (expensive new) but you can sometimes find them used on eBay.

Bill Pace
05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Well I see that Shars is putting their name on it too now -- seems that they are gonna have their name on all products they sell, but still, its almost certainly either an Asong, or more likely an Align (s?) since the ones they show on ebay is the Align.

Are you aware that Shars on ebay is Discountmachine, and that they show a 150lb unit - which would be a better choice than the 135 - for $189? And there are usually a few others that will be in the $150-160 range from assorted dealers.

http://tinyurl.com/qcvjc4

I have 3 of these units, one on each axis and know of several others, and they have a pretty good reputation, there was a period of time about a year, year & half ago that there was a batch of bad potentiometers, but that seems to have been corrected.

I think you would really enjoy having a PF, it certainly adds to the pleasure of running my mill.

danlb
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Looks like the same Chinese units you see under different brand names (e.g., Asong). In a home shop it will probably hold up OK. I would get the 150 in-lb unit for the extra few $.

Servo makes the best units (expensive new) but you can sometimes find them used on eBay.

Why would you need the higher rating? It seems like there is almost no resistance when I turn the hand-wheels on my mill. ( an 8 x30 table ). Even when cutting at proper feeds and speeds it's like I'm cutting butter.

Thanks

Dan

lane
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Like the Tool Man Said (More Power). Don`t ever just buy what you think you need ,always buy more . You will be a Happy Camper In the Long run.

davidh
05-17-2009, 10:10 AM
i just visited ebark and found a 150 lb unit for just under 200 bucks. much as i dislike paypal, i think i will call them tomorrow and order it.

thanks for all the good advice. even with the economy being bad, sometimes its good to spoil oneself just for the good feel it gives. . .

davidh

Well I see that Shars is putting their name on it too now -- seems that they are gonna have their name on all products they sell, but still, its almost certainly either an Asong, or more likely an Align (s?) since the ones they show on ebay is the Align.

Are you aware that Shars on ebay is Discountmachine, and that they show a 150lb unit - which would be a better choice than the 135 - for $189? And there are usually a few others that will be in the $150-160 range from assorted dealers.

http://tinyurl.com/qcvjc4

I have 3 of these units, one on each axis and know of several others, and they have a pretty good reputation, there was a period of time about a year, year & half ago that there was a batch of bad potentiometers, but that seems to have been corrected.

I think you would really enjoy having a PF, it certainly adds to the pleasure of running my mill.