PDA

View Full Version : HSM Index

John DeBrular
05-16-2009, 11:54 PM
There used to be an index showing all the articles in years past. Is this still available and if so where.

usn ret
05-17-2009, 01:05 AM
John, search... HSM archive index.... will take you back to 2005 on some subjects..
Cliff

m_kilde
05-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi John

I think you are thinking of the article index from HSM Magazine website, you will find this here :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/hsm.jpg

bgoodr
08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi John

I think you are thinking of the article index from HSM Magazine website, you will find this here <image_deleted>

I believe that Article link points to: http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/articleindex

I was looking for the same index, and found some problems with it:

The page has this statement "Please Select Your Method of Search" but there isn't a way (that I can see) to type in a search keyword (i.e., in the style of how Google works). Requiring visitors to read every subject title is onerous. Even more importantly, if there was a full-text search, I would be purchasing more of those back issues, but as it stands now, there isn't sufficient info to identify the right issue.

bg

oldtiffie
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
PM George Bulliss as that is all in his bailiwick as Editor of at least some of VP's magazines.

bgoodr
08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
PM George Bulliss as that is all in his bailiwick as Editor of at least some of VP's magazines.
Will do. Note that I'm asking for something fairly involved here: Full text search on all back issues of HSM. Given the age of the magazine, maybe there are issues whose original media are not currently stored electronically. If so, then those would have to be digitized into a searchable format.

I'll send him a PM to ask him to comment here.

bg

George Bulliss
08-20-2009, 08:53 AM
We have the index that Mogens pointed out available on the HSM web site. At the bottom of the same drop down menu there is a link to the download page (seen in Mogensí screen shot). On this page you can download a txt file (VP index) of our index that allows you to edit and search for titles, authors, etc. This file was generously contributed to us by a longtime subscriber. For an easier to read version of the file, simply copy the contents to a doc file.

In regards to a full text search of our back issues, you are correct in assuming that we do not have electronic versions for the majority of past issues. We tried a full search in the past for the magazines we do have stored electronically, but found that there was simply too much information and the search function was slowed to the point of being useless. Due to number of reasons, mainly manpower, I do not foresee a new index anytime soon.

George

bgoodr
08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Due to number of reasons, mainly manpower, I do not foresee a new index anytime soon.

Thanks for clarifying.

bg