PDA

View Full Version : Industrial sewing machine, stuck after housefire?

Dawai
05-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi. I kinda figure this is a lost cause, paint blistered but did not come off.

Tight tolerances inside, brass bushings, forged steel shafts, older Consew 206 like mine, stuck and won't roll over..

Soaking it in what will break the carbonized oil on the bushings?? Reckon I should try the derusting outfit?? Not rusted.. yet.. I was just thinking it would bubble up into the shafts inside..

This guy makes a living with a sewing machine. His is stuck and income has ceased. I offered to send mine home with him.

andy_b
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
if there are no plastic gears or bushings, i say hose it down with kerosene and/or PB'laster and slowly start working the shafts. as long as nothing got hot enough to warp, it should eventually free up. those old cast iron machines take a licking and keep on ticking.

andy b.

Dawai
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
WD40 might not be good lubrication, but it works to loosen things up. Kerosene?? what ever is in it?

I took the hook loose, removed most the outside threader parts.. rocked it back and forth for a hour. It went a 1/16th, then a 1/8 turn, then a quarter turn.. NOW it's rolling over again.. A hour of rocking it back and forth and soaking it.

NOW it rolls, except it is out of time.. ha.. well.. needs a repaint.

Lots of sticking parts still..

Hammertone paint here I come after some sanding.

Worked on some guns that had been through a housefire, one MOssberg bolt-action duck-gun had a 36" barrel.. it was warped.. I kept playing with it for weeks trying to get it back straight.. Finally I put one end up on some books and jumped my 300lbs onto the middle.. it straightened right out then.

Need some rub 0n gun blueing for the rusty steel parts.. or? any clues on a finish that will stay a while??

biometrics
05-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Gun Blue will look pretty, but if you want a durable finish on the steel parts after you derust them, I say do a google search on parkerizing. the same finish used on military firearms and equipment. It is not very complex a process, and you can use the materials to treat other tooling as well.

sandman2234
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I had a friend who had a fire in his shop. Lost a bunch of guns, machines, tools, cars, and a complete set of Machinegun News. Fast forward a few years, I purchased an semi automatic shotgun from him. It had been reblued, but I just wanted a "shooter", so it didn't matter. I shot some new ammo in it, and it blew the receiver apart. I called the ammo company, they said it was the gun, I called the gun company, they said it was the ammo, but send it up here anyway.
End of story is, heat from a fire will do more damage to a gun than is visable to the eye, or even a microscope, so be careful reblueing guns that have been exposed to a fire. This becomes especially clear when it is your head that is next to the receiver when it blows!
End of Rant...
David from jax

I still have the gun, if anybody wants proof...

Dawai
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs036.snc1/4328_1060642998481_1298124187_30132618_3846332_n.j pg
THIS IS A DONE DEAL, Rustomleum Hammered tone can made a dog turd beautiful.. All done except retiming it and resetting the sewing thread tensions..

Them guns losing temper??
Even worse? when they are "hot and the water hits them"..

Or the tiny 5 shot derringer I decided to weld a ring onto the handle while drinking.. to wear around my neck? it had a flat bar spring in the handle which the tig weld actually softened up. I had to re-arch the spring to add tension.

Last I saw of it? it was between a large bosum'ed girls boobs on a rawhide string. I kept losing it, found it in the washing machine twice..

John Stevenson
05-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Last I saw of it? it was between a large bosum'ed girls boobs on a rawhide string. I kept losing it, found it in the washing machine twice..

What the gun or the boobs ?

Dawai
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
John: without adequate support, her navel is probably now..

(the gun was the last I seen of it) That lady had been raped twice and beat up quite a few times. Kinda gives a woman a bad attitude toward the world. I felt sorry for her and armed her.

Anne, she was this woman I knew with this great big posterior.. she had a lil wormy husband that liked to black her eyes when he was having a bad day.. he went to pounding on her head, she reached a hand into them fat jeans, and while she was pulling the pistol, she shot herself right in the butt.. I was over there later in the week, she was naked with her butt propped up and he was fetching her ice tea, being really nice to her..

See how them things work out, a equalizer even a weak lil person can use.. too bad she used it on herself.. it happens sometimes when you are careless. He would have eventually killed her.

38_Cal
05-19-2009, 06:55 PM
The rule of thumb I use on guns in house fires, if the fire is hot enough to burn the wood off of the metal, not just char it, and/or soften heavy springs (not like a thin wire shotgun magazine spring), then the gun needs to be re-heat treated, preferably by the factory. If the factory won't do it due to no parts or out of business, I'll evaluate it and possibly send it off to a specialty heat treating firm. If the factory won't do it because of condition, then the customer owes me for the shipping, but that's the end of the job. If you do get guns (or machinery) in from a fire, strip off the wood, wash them in water, dry and oil down with a good penetrating oil before you do anything else.

David
Montezuma, IA

Liger Zero
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Amazing work David. I'm looking at the time-stamps that's quite a turn-around there.

Dawai
05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Liger:

You give a obsessive compulsive person who is also anal retentive a puzzle missing parts and soon he is starved, fingers all blistered from moving puzzle pieces around???? I am a little insane when it comes to Projects.

Okay.. I also hoe'd a few rows of vegetables with the stainless goathead hoe today too. I finally gave up on half a dozen tomato plants and chopped them up in lil bits.. I got maybe three that might make mators out of thirty I planted..

I don't play cards cause I hate losing. (sore loser) I can't control the outcome of blind luck.

MOTOR HEAD HEAVEN? I was gave a small journal 327 chevy engine.. Now I gotta build another car for it.. perhaps the T-bucket chassis with a C-cab body? I love them motors.. over-square bore/stroke

Liger Zero
05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm visualizing this fellow handing over his machine and stressing out over his situation and before he can sit down and read the paper here you come trucking up the driveway with the repaired machine. :D

andy_b
05-19-2009, 11:43 PM
WD40 might not be good lubrication, but it works to loosen things up. Kerosene?? what ever is in it?

I took the hook loose, removed most the outside threader parts.. rocked it back and forth for a hour. It went a 1/16th, then a 1/8 turn, then a quarter turn.. NOW it's rolling over again.. A hour of rocking it back and forth and soaking it.

NOW it rolls, except it is out of time.. ha.. well.. needs a repaint.

that's exactly what i would have done, and in fact have (on old sewing machines no less).

oh, WD-40 is mostly kerosene, or so i've been told. a gallon of kerosene is cheaper than a gallon of WD-40. :)

andy b.

Dawai
05-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Doc lost six rooms plus a hallway to his upstairs in his home, his Common-law Wife fell over in a coma from the smoke and excitement of all the sexy firemen?, then died a month later. I went down there to help with the layout of the electrical.

He was sitting alone drinking in the midst of the stripped out lower half of his house, no sheetrock, all the carpentry of the house looks like a farmer did it between making stalls for horses.

I actually think the Sewing machine was the least of his worries, perhaps it will cheer him up a bit.

He is already thinking of interviewing for replacements for the woman, I suggested finding one that can finish drywall.

Right now it sucks to be Doc. I am not sure I could take all that at once. Doc is NOT DOC NICKEL, Doc got his nickname in California. I know not where Doc Nickel got his. Old bikers and nicknames.. a few hsm'ers know mine. Back before DNA, bikers swapped nicknames to hide from misdeeds.