PDA

View Full Version : That'll learn 'em...

Liger Zero
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Over at the Print Shop I was handed a crude hand drawing and was told "make this."

It's a guage thing for setting the proper height on a screen-printer.

I'm thinking... gauge. Setting. Proper height. Better find out how close it's gotta be.

Boss (who is Not A Machinist) said "Quarter inch on length and 1/32nd on the heights then rub it with a file to take the edge off."

I'm thinking... What am I a frigging carpenter?

When the chips settled it was EXACTLY 3" long, each of the steps was exact (.125, .225, .520) (according to the mics I used) and an hour of "timesavering" (grain finish) and hand-polishing I hand the New Tool over to him.

Worth it just to see the expression on his face. :D

38_Cal
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Watch out now...you'll get a reputation you'll have to live up to!:D

David
Montezuma, IA

tony ennis
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
TTIUWP*

* This Thread is Useless Without Pictures

Liger Zero
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Watch out now...you'll get a reputation you'll have to live up to!:D

David
Montezuma, IA

I love this guy, you can distract him with shiny highly accurate pieces of aluminum. :D

bollie7
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
As long as you don't reveal the secret handshake:)

bollie7

barts
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
When I was at the University the standard threat from the guys in the shop was to make the part out of clay if the material was left unspecified.... if you gave them too much detail (such as fabrication order to get datums right) they also got cranky :-p.

When I'd check a mike out of the toolroom they'd always ask if I was sure I knew that it wasn't a 'C' clamp :-).

- Bart

doctor demo
05-20-2009, 12:32 AM
When I'd check a mike out of the toolroom they'd always ask if I was sure I knew that it wasn't a 'C' clamp :-).

- Bart
When I was a kid working in a machine shop with old (realy old) machinists,I would ask to borrow their little C clamps with numbers on them for a welding job:D .
That and saying "Natiolal Rough and National Smooth" would realy fire them up.
I still like to pi$$ people off with both those lines:D .

Steve