PDA

View Full Version : Surface grinder coolant flow

lakeside53
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm restoring a 1957 Brown and Sharpe 2L 6x18 automatic surface grinder. I'm right at the point of finalizing the electrics and want to make provision for a coolant pump, but have no idea what size I'll need.

What type of flow is required? Dribble, flood, gusher?

Also.. what type of coolant is used?

websterz
05-20-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm restoring a 1957 Brown and Sharpe 2L 6x18 automatic surface grinder. I'm right at the point of finalizing the electrics and want to make provision for a coolant pump, but have no idea what size I'll need.

What type of flow is required? Dribble, flood, gusher?

Also.. what type of coolant is used?

Nothing like bringing old iron back to life! I just finished my 1951 #25 Gallmeyer & Livingston grinder. She's a good looking gal, a hard worker too. She doesn't look a day over 35! hehehe :D

As far as coolant, I use a small 12 volt DC bilge pump I bought in the sporting goods dept. at WalMart. I run it off of a 12 volt battery charger, drawing coolant from a 5 gallon bucket. I put a sock on the return line to filter the fines, and a speaker magnet in a ziploc bag in the bottom to collect what gets past the filter. Any soluable oil will work for coolant. I use some cheap stuff I get from Enco, about $16 a gallon for the concentrate. 1 gallon makes about 40 gallons of coolant when mixed. At that price I use it a month and then change it out. A local machine shop lets me dump it into their non-haz mat barrels for disposal with their own fluids.