PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else noticed??

Alistair Hosie
05-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I have notice quite a lot recently as an avid woodturner ore and more products designed for metal working lathes being stolen and used for woodturning.Well perhaps stolen is a bit rough but I saw today and yesterday examples of indexing tungsten tips being used on shafts and today knurlers being used for effect where will it all end.Of course I am taking advantage of my machining shop and machining skills to make some tools myself along these lines as any machinist would balk at the prices asked by some of the manufacturers thanks for listening and please give me your thoughts as engineers perhaps it has gone unoticed here but I know some of you do turn wood like me from time to time.God Bless Alistair ps Norm I hope your feeling better .regards Alistair

Norman Atkinson
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Alistair,

Just came in from Menorca this PM.
Oddly, you are almost voicing my experiences. My property was broken into over the winter- twice! So, basically, I had no tools worth speaking about.
However, I was not the only one, We visit a charity place on a regular basis and there was a bloke with a bloody big British BMW buying-- tatty, white plastic chairs for coppers! He had had ALL his garden furniture stolen- I just lost one pool lounger bed but all his far more desirable tools had been pinched.
Police said that it was illegal immigrants- now with no work.
OK--- I found canabis growing openly as well.

Again, next to no visitors are there and shops and restaurants are closed.
Rambling on- I apologise- but tool shops are virtually bankrupt.
Amazing what farting about in a charity shop reveals.

The worst thing- for a UK bloke- was the Euro/pound sterling which dropped from 1.5 to parity in six months. I had been watching it plummet in Spain, then in France and now in Spain.

Sorry, Alistair, but it is worth warning US visitors of what is going on in UK and Europe.

In my post -on the UK mat- is further warnings about security and theft..

Health??????? Had probs with eyes in the sun glare- painting white walls.

Really, I feel like a knackered old git but - I'm here.

Take care

Norm

websterz
05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Alistair,

Just came in from Menorca this PM.
Oddly, you are almost voicing my experiences. My property was broken into over the winter- twice! So, basically, I had no tools worth speaking about.
However, I was not the only one, We visit a charity place on a regular basis and there was a bloke with a bloody big British BMW buying-- tatty, white plastic chairs for coppers! He had had ALL his garden furniture stolen- I just lost one pool lounger bed but all his far more desirable tools had been pinched.
Police said that it was illegal immigrants- now with no work.
OK--- I found canabis growing openly as well.

Again, next to no visitors are there and shops and restaurants are closed.
Rambling on- I apologise- but tool shops are virtually bankrupt.
Amazing what farting about in a charity shop reveals.

The worst thing- for a UK bloke- was the Euro/pound sterling which dropped from 1.5 to parity in six months. I had been watching it plummet in Spain, then in France and now in Spain.

Sorry, Alistair, but it is worth warning US visitors of what is going on in UK and Europe.

In my post -on the UK mat- is further warnings about security and theft..

Health??????? Had probs with eyes in the sun glare- painting white walls.

Really, I feel like a knackered old git but - I'm here.

Take care

Norm

They try that crap here they'll get a backside full of birdshot for their troubles. Try it INSIDE the house and I use bigger rounds and aim a bit higher. A thief deserves no protection AFAIAC, he deserves to be shot.

Dawai
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Well guys, I may die in my sleep tonight.. Or the tires cut, or a Molotov cocktail??

I just busted up a drug deal at the burned out house across the way, called the owner, who also does drugs, he said to run them off if I wanted, I wanted. He later called me and said she "called to complain" about being interupted in her deal.. he said I was right and to keep running them off.

The police were here, 45 minutes later. Nice guy thou, we talked 30 minutes, never met him before. He suggested I become more involved with the police department. They need help in more ways than one he says.

OUR WORLD is turning to crap.. lack of religion and base morals. God, Georgia law, and I rule this two acres of Earth. I have to be careful which lil voices I follow in my head thou. Are they based in good or just a desire to choke the living crap out of sub humans?

May he help you protect your families and property too.

Norman Atkinson
05-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Had to reply to Websterz and David!

Years ago, I got a commendation( whatever that is) for helping to arrest a pair of 'yobbos' in Spain. Again, I got one in the UK for another twerp.

The Spanish yobbos are clearly still there. The last time I saw the first bunch, they were watching the TV in the nick. I have yet to get a TV. Funny, old world!

The British department( ?????) Well, I saved this shop keeper a fortune( a small one, but still a fortune) The bastard-the shop keeper never even said the decency to say '**** off' and it makes one wonder.

As for peppering the guys with shot, well, we don't do those sort of things.
David, why stick your one and only neck out?

Sadly,

Norm

JCHannum
05-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Talk about a hijacked thread.

Alistair it is payback. After several thousand years, the woodworking guys are getting even with the metalworking folks who stole their first tools from the woodsies.

Norman Atkinson
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM
JC- not really hijacked as it is the tools, be they wood or metal working which have been and are going to be, hi-jacked!

Lathes- if your history is correct- and it is, starts to use bone, stone, onto bronze and then on to all sorts of iron and then back to 'stone' again.

Alistair missed the fact that even in recent times( mine) metal lathes had hand rests to do woodworking.Every machinist worth his crust had to turn his patterns in wood for casting in something harder.

As I sit here, there is African blackwood, rosewood and lignum under my desk.
Oddly, if we go back to Holzapffel and makers of ornamental turning lathes, old Jacob made what were dual purpose machines.

When printing was first invented, the gears were cut - by hand.

Err, hands up those who haven't had a bit of bone, or wood or ivory in their lathe?

Maybe some of us are having 'senior moments' which are hi- jacking our memories

Eh?

Norm

JCHannum
05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Not accusing anyone of misdeeds, just commenting on how quickly the thread got from a passing thought on tool use to drug busts and shooting perps.

Tools are tools, it makes no difference to them what material happens to be being assaulted at the time. I cannot afford ivory, but regularly use my metalworking tools for wood and sometimes bone and horn.

Frank Ford
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
That's right! We have a vast array of great materials with which to fabricate parts, and even whole things.

I, too, use my metalworking gear for wood, plastic, bone, and when appropriate, ivory.

Because I switch from one material to another often, I keep everything shrouded (http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Magnets/RubberSheet/rubbersheet.html) all the time as though I were going to be grinding or cutting cast iron, both of which I also do from time to time.

kendall
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Same here, my tools were always dual use, before I got into metal my wood lathe was used to turn the occasional bit of metal, since I got into metal, the lathe and mill have both had wood loaded into them.
Not all wood lathes are good with metal, and not all metal lathes work well with wood, but for the most part they don't really care what's on them.

You get the right mill, and it does a very nice job on wood.

The only real prep I've done is to wipe them dry, and make sure anything that chips can get into is covered. Most areas metal chips will sit quietly without a problem, but wood chips in the same spot can cause issues.

Ken.

Norman Atkinson
05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh dear, we are not very observant- are we, boys and girls?

I thought that someone would spot it but Menorca was one of those places where the first tools were used. Oh dear! Taulas and Talayiots- eh?
I thought that someone would twig- Menorca and the Balearics and the stone throwers in the Roman Armies- which gave the word-- ballistics.
Never mind!

And then the US Navy- blah, blah and Admiral Farragut who was a sort of founding father- and - err, uhm a son of Menorquin parents.
Or would you rather have Lord Nelson- the guy who bought his villa from his holiday health insurance from losing an eye and an arm and various other bits of anatomy in the Battle of the Nile( I Sphynx?) Sort of Pyramid selling?

Ah, well? Back to the grind.

Norm

Teenage_Machinist
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, this thread went to hell....

However, while some things are breaking up, morally things are much better. Religion still has a disturbing amount of control, a secular state is what I hope for, and when extremism fades we will no longer live in fear of being happy.

It's not thieves who get killed without warning, it's people actually trying to kill you. They still have parents, or perhaps children they hope will not die. Indiscriminate gunfire is harmful to the world of humanity.

john hobdeclipe
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't have any problem with putting a piece of wood in my metal lathe and turning it to a greater degree of accuracy than I could by hand on the wood lathe. And it's no problem to use my miter saw or table saw or band saw to cut aluminum or brass. It's just a matter of cleaning up afterwards and not asking the machines to do more than they are capable of.

thistle
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I am bad then , my sins of recent;-
I used my metal working stuff to make parts for a wood turning lathe.
I am using said metal working eq. to modify another woodlathe into a bowl lathe.

i made some turning chisels, to which i am going to braze carbide tips.

i turned some lignum vitae on the metal lathe.
i machined some ham bone on the mill.

shall i go on ?

Alistair Hosie
05-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Well its not about being good or bad. I just noticed that engineers tools get more and more used for woodturning.I think though turning a bowl on a metalworking lathe would be much more difficult nay impossible than with or on a woodturning lathe at which I have some more experience and have become quite adept good ol norm keeping us entertained Alistair

clutch
05-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Uncle brought the band mill back to my place to store it in it's shed. I noticed it looked a bit different, an orange cast to the paint from the sawdust.

He had been sawing up Osage Orange, a wood that has been used to create natural fence rows. He said it was a b*tch to cut and that wood turners resort to carbide tools due to the silica content in the wood.

Clutch

Norman Atkinson
05-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Uncle brought the band mill back to my place to store it in it's shed. I noticed it looked a bit different, an orange cast to the paint from the sawdust.

He had been sawing up Osage Orange, a wood that has been used to create natural fence rows. He said it was a b*tch to cut and that wood turners resort to carbide tools due to the silica content in the wood.

Clutch

As the dourest of Scots often say:-

'Is that a fact?'

thistle
05-23-2009, 06:10 AM

Clutch

i used a bunch of osage orange off cuts for wood turning chisel handles as well..
good for boat building as well as fence posts ,do you have any osage orange by the way?

clutch
05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
i used a bunch of osage orange off cuts for wood turning chisel handles as well..
good for boat building as well as fence posts ,do you have any osage orange by the way?

I didn't even get a piece of it. :(

Clutch

clutch
05-23-2009, 04:02 PM
As the dourest of Scots often say:-

'Is that a fact?'

Well, it still looks orange. Not a bad contrast since the rest of the saw is painted green.

http://wess.freeshell.org/homeshopmachinist/osageorange.jpg

Clutch

andy_b
05-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I didn't even get a piece of it. :(

Clutch

did you get any monkey balls?

andy b.

Dawai
05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Norm does not have the PM option on here in HSM... I do not have his email addy..
Another swing OT:??

Norm Said:
As for peppering the guys with shot, well, we don't do those sort of things.
David, why stick your one and only neck out?

Norm.. Children are back to playing on the street, bicyclists are riding up and down the road, people are walking their dogs.. Everyone waves at me.

Warlord:
Joe bought a house in Eastlake Chattanooga for $6,000 and there was crack dealers in front of it everyday. He did things like run one over with his truck, throwed a pitt bulldog through the window of a car full of dealers and crack smokers.. when he left the neighborhood his house sold for $100k.

He'd dead of cancer now. His main redeeming factor was the fact he set his wife up and took his child.. each visitation he'd take her a large bottle of whiskey.. soon, she was in jail for multiple DUI's and he had custody of his child.

Joe was a huge redheaded ironworker who worked hard, each time he saw me he picked me up and swinged me like a child around, I weigh 300lbs.. I miss him. He died without so much of a whimper. Told them they could shove that chemo cause it made him sick.

Back on Topic? yeah, I got spinning fixtures made from glued and spun plywood.. made on a metal lathe on a backplate.. If it is sharp, it will rub a wood shaving off too.

Alistair Hosie
05-24-2009, 04:57 PM
For example look what this guy invented and is marketting look familiar?Alistair

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/New_Products___Wagner_Texturing_Tool___wagner_text uring?Args=

gwilson
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I often use my metal lathes for turning wood and ivory.Several months ago I made a hard maple tray hammering pattern for a silversmith. It was 24" X 12" X 4",and I just barely got it into the gap of my 16" lathe.

I do repairs for a wealthy client who buys high class spinning wheels. Not the normal kind,but ones made of mahogany,with parts of ivory,boxwood and brass. They were used by the very wealthy in the 18th.c.,and earlier.It was considered part of a young woman's education to be able to spin. Even Queen Elizabeth I spun.

P.S.: I was going to post pictures,but this forum isn't the same format as some others in advanced options. I'll have to figure out how to post pics. another time.