PDA

View Full Version : grease clearance

mdred68
05-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm building a ramp for my brothers landscaping trailer and i want to put a grease fitting on the hinges. How much clearance do i need for grease? Thanks.

lakeside53
05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Nothing special... make it fit, grease it.

Willy
05-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Like Lakeside53 said, as long as the grease can get into the hinge and the fitting is protected, it should last longer than all of us.

Have run a lot of different commercial equipment trailers for moving loaders,excavators, etc. and the ones with ramps were all run dry (no grease fittings). Never wore anything out.

So yeah not critical, if you can slide the pin through the hinge you are good to go.

doctor demo
05-21-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm building a ramp for my brothers landscaping trailer and i want to put a grease fitting on the hinges. How much clearance do i need for grease? Thanks.
In my trailer ramp encounters, I have found that looser is better when it comes to hinge clearance. The problem is that trailer ramps get overloaded and bent and grease attracts grit., so unless You over build the hinges and use seals....keep it looose and don't grease it.IMHO.

Steve

wierdscience
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
If these hinges weld on make sure you have plenty of clearence,otherwise the welding will make them sieze tight from jump.

I like .005" per inch diameter for weld on bushings.