PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Powerfeed Full Of *&$%! And Fail...

Liger Zero
05-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Ok I have emailed the Boss about getting pictures so we can identify it better... it's a Bridgeport with a Bridgeport powerfeed. I pull the lever to move the table and sometimes it glides like a (insert crude metaphor here) other times it grinds and stutters and makes unholy noises and jumps about like a (insert humorus and improbable metaphor here.

In general where should I start looking? Gearbox? Motor? Lever arrangment?

aboard_epsilon
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
if its the old heavy manual gearbox type

then you shoiuld be looking at the bottom bearings ..

needs a good clean out or replacement bearings

it could also be the shear pin underneth the right hand side of the table ..coming out ..or its ready to break off that trusty rusty bent nail that replaced it the last time it bust.

all the best.markj

Liger Zero
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
It has an on-off switch and a knob for controlling speed and a "rapid" button.

Sorry, should have mentioned that in the OP.

aboard_epsilon
05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
are right ..
dont know anything about them ..other than they leak oil on the curcuit board ..then have problems

but still look at the shear pin

all the best.markj

Liger Zero
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Ok both good places to start. I'll open her up tomorrow and report back.

Quetico Bob
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Trying to remember real hard. Had the same problem, had to replace (make) a bushing for the control lever in the gear box. It became so sloppy that it would not fall into the detents for the left-neutral-right feed properly (a confused transmission). Cured the problem but still sometimes if Iím not positive on my shift the motor still hums but no movement.

When you take it apart it will become quite obvious, that part I remember. There was something else about the gear oil leaking but that was obvious as well and hasn't leaked since.

must be getting old

Cheers, Bob

Liger Zero
05-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Bob:

Even "old" you still know more than I do on the subject. Hopefully your hints + AE's hints will yield results. :)

Quetico Bob
05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Wasn't expecting you to agree so quick on the old thing....:)
Cheers, Bob

lane
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Been a long time since i was in one . But not real fancy in side . Take apart and look should be easy enough to figure out what is not working right .
Their are a few bushings that could be wore and the teeth on the directional gear shifter .

wierdscience
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM

In general where should I start looking? Gearbox? Motor? Lever arrangment?

MSC catalog,for a replacement:)

lakeside53
05-22-2009, 12:28 AM
It sounds like you have a 6F or 8F

Real bad jumpy stuff -I has one -the comutator segments were loose on the armature.. Toast... Found another motor on Ebay...

Check your brushes. Check that oil hasn't filled the bottom of the motor.