PDA

View Full Version : OT: tire mounting

abn
05-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm looking for tips on seating a tire I'm having trouble with and I came across this...thought some might get a kick out of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg

Norman Atkinson
05-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, does Obama know about the new cure for inflation?

doc-zeus
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Perhaps my spincter will relax, tomorrow! ! ! !

I was expecting a sudden - - LOUD EXPLOSION!! ! ! !

Whew!

Norman Atkinson
05-22-2009, 05:48 PM
As another more recent monarch said- she had an Annus Horribilis.

The Doctor
05-22-2009, 05:58 PM
What's so unusual about that? I've seen plenty of people do that with semi tires, as well as large tires on lifted truck. Works great.

Ed

kendall
05-22-2009, 06:51 PM
It works good, and is a pretty common method.

We do it when we're out in the boonies and knock a bead loose. A few of us have on-board air, but we don't have the volume to seat a bead. It's great for 'on truck' seating.

I have seen tires jump several feet in the air if you put too much in when it's off the truck.

I don't do it very often, simply because I mount most tires at home, and have other ways of doing it.

Ken.

PTSideshow
05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
A motor cycle tie down strap around the middle of the thread works to, but not as showy works from 6 inch lawn tractor tires on up. On larger tires a ratcheting one works better!
Somebody will put too much in and get a flame facial and hair trim.
:D

Dawai
05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
A rope torniquiet.. tied around the tire, a steel rod twisting it tight.. Also, take the valve core out till it pops onto the bead.. More air can rush in to pop it on the bead..

That all being said, I messed with a 16x6.5x8" Snapperoo lawnmower tire yesterday for a hour.. it was rusted to the rim and I had to cut it off with a zip tool, then it would not air up.. I punched it, pulled it, tied it, slammed it, throwed it onto the floor to bounce the bead on.. and cussed..

A motorcycle tire someone takes the shipping cardboard out of, the tire loses it's shape and is a real bear to get on the bead..

That free snapper riding mower, it has cost me over a hundred in tires and other parts now.

(don't know the time period of the post here where I cried about this) but.. I can remember a tire on the dodge wrecker, wrapping the winch cable around the tire and pulling it tight to get it to take air.. I laid in DOG POO and didn't notice till later.. it was freezing and ice on the ground.. I had a bad day.. on the slope which is my property, the wrecker had rolled sideways downhill taking the tire near off the rim.

ONE MORE TIDBIT? Okay.. SEX LUBE.. KY jelly.. rub it around the bead of the tire.. you can throw the tire at the rim and it near jumps on without anymore work.. I dropped a harley tire onto a mag and both sides went on the first time.. NORMALLY you have to put a knee on the bead holding the tire in the deep part of the rim to pry the other side on.. Why I limp..

Lil brother bought a gallon of rubber-lube a tire shop uses.. Not used it.. it is still unopened as far as I know. THE KY works.

KY jelly was developed to help navy frogmen get into rubber wetsuits.. them kinky sailors found other uses for it I am sure..

kendall
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Straps work most of the time, but with some bigger tires it just moves the beads closer to the center.
I normally set the rim flat on something smaller than the rim, press down till it slips on far enough to stay, then turn the rim over lean it against the wall and press down in the center while pumping air, works 98% of the time, the other 2% I just have to repeat it.

Ken.

Carld
05-22-2009, 08:03 PM
That method works better if you use a clip on air chuck without the core in the stem then spray the inside and ignite it. The fire sucks the tire down as fast as it expands it without the air on it.

That's a dicey way to set the bead but it works.

saltmine
05-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Reminds me of "the olden days", when a buddy of mine was trying to get a tire seated on a rim in his garage, at home. He didn't have a compressor, but he did have a brand new can of Diesel starting fluid (about 98% either)
We didn't know how much to spray into the tire, so he poured it in until "TLAR" (That Looks About Right)
Like a dummy, he lit it with a cigarette lighter. Almost blew his hand off, burned all of the hair off his arm, and lost his eyebrows. The explosion was heard three blocks away, and it blew the garage door off it's tracks....
Inflate the tire? Nope...blew it to pieces... Poor guy was deaf for a week...
I injured my knee and elbow when I fell down laughing...

knedvecki
05-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a portable air tank with a 1 inch ball valve fitted to a close nipple welded to one end. I took a 4 inch long pipe nipple and flattened one end to make a spreader and put the unflattened end in the ball valve. I use this for an air blast tank to seat tire beads. I pull the valve core, lay the tire flat on the ground, attach my clip on air chuck to the valve stem, and then blast the open space between the rim and bead with 100 psi air pressure all at once by opening the ball valve. Works good! I learned this in Colorado at a shop I worked at.