PDA

View Full Version : need help bad

airsmith282
05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
ok i gota very odd thing going on here , i gota lawn mower that the muffler rotted pretty normal for the the age its a B&S engine and i never had one this badley stuck before.. any how i have heated the pipe thats left hangingout with oxy mapp and wiht just the mapp and i have shot wd 409 in there ,, bought an extracor and can use it unless i remove the exhaust stem not worth the effort ,, any how welded on a shaft to give me more leverage , thats not working either , ok so now i need some help i have tired everything and iam stuck now so any one out there got and idea that will get this out , its in the blcok a good inch and its not supposed to be threaded in more then 1/2 inch but someone a few yearsback took the effort to screw it in the hole inch ...

QSIMDO
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Short length of hacksaw blade to cut a channel down the inside just kissing down to the threads and then chisel it out.
Did a Kohler 2 weeks ago.

Bill Pace
05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Short length of hacksaw blade to cut a channel down the inside just kissing down to the threads and then chisel it out.

Yep, QSIMDO has the best -- and maybe the ONLY solution:rolleyes:. Those things can be a booger-bear

knedvecki
05-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Same as other posts, or Cut off the pipe flush with the head, substitute a die grinder with a rotary file for the hack saw blade and grind thru intil you hit the threads at one spot. This will reduse the pinch , and then use a chisle to remove the threads

j king
05-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I had one like that. I took a piece of wet rag and shoved it it the pipe as far as I could.Took a stick welding rod and welded a pass on the inside of the pipe.

That is enough to shrink the pipe and let it screw out with a little tapping of a cold chisel.I didnt have an easyout.

saltmine
05-23-2009, 07:22 PM
We used to run into a similar problem on aluminum intake manifolds on GM cars. The water outlet was a zinc casting screwed into the manifold, with a 3/8" pipe thread. Corrosion would cause the fitting to break off, making for a nasty leak.
I used to set a plug in the center of the hole, to guide the drill, usually a piece of aluminum. Then I'd drill out the corroded threads with a tool called a "roto-broach" It looks like a hollow end mill or a thick walled hole saw.
Anyway, on 3/8" pipe, a 5/8" "roto-broach" would cut the minor diameter of the threads out. Then, I would follow with a 3/8" pipe tap to clean the threads out. With a generous dab of structural epoxy, the new fitting was screwed in and the job was finished. I never had to repeat this repair on any of the cars I fixed with it.

Voice of experience; "Easy-outs" don't work. Since they are hammered into the broken part, and turning them forces the metal out, they're self defeating to say the least. I used to use "bolt extractors" instead, which require a hole be drilled into the part to be extracted, and a very precise fluted driver tapped into the hole. The fluted driver directed the force into turning the broken bolt instead of swelling it up.

wierdscience
05-23-2009, 07:43 PM
x's 2 for welding a pass around the inside of the pipe.

airsmith282
05-24-2009, 10:50 AM
ok ill try the hack saw thing and let you all know how it works out i gota save this old puppy for its owner ..

talk soon

airsmith282
05-24-2009, 06:16 PM
ok after messing around more with with tourch decided to try the other option any how bad news this puppy has had its day and is dead forever , found out more bod news afer a carful inspection of the beast the bolts the hold hte motor to the base are lose and are also not going to turn unless i blow them off and put on new ones also noticed that hte body is twisted really bad noting going to fix that short of a new body so all this work was all for nothing wasted about 18 hours total messing with it 3/4 bottle of oxy and mapp fule not to metion i snaped a wrench apart and wasted 25.00 on and extractor tool thats also usless.. ok my rant is done now.., so she now has the alernate option i can sell her another mower thats perfect , this one does have some parts that can be salvaged so ill have to offer her a deal of some sort.. thanks for the adivice but this is one machine that just is ready to goto lawnmower heaven or hell , personaly its needs to got hell lololololollol

oh well onto the next project..

Quetico Bob
05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Airsmith, what programs do you use on your home computer?
You need to try using something with spell check, sometimes, ok always, its almost painful to read what you are saying. No offense whatsoever intended.

If you are using a PC and have “Word” maybe try typing in that first. It will catch the spelling. Then convert your font to Verdana 10 and copy paste to your post. I am pretty sure that’s the font used and precisely what I have just done.

I don’t think any of us are nick picking, but rather a mutual respect for each other in providing what we are trained for…perfection! Or as close to it as each of our abilities.

There is no excuse for sloppy writing, or tardiness. So I have been told.:)

Cheers, Bob

ligito
05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
I don’t think any of us are nick picking, :)

Cheers, Bob

Not to be nit picking but do you mean nit picking?:D

Roy Andrews
05-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Not to be nit picking but do you mean nit picking?:D

this is so funny it almost hurts. in the last few days i have seen three people on different forums (goodnaturedly) make spelling or english corrections and in every case someone with a sharp eye corrected them. i took the easy route in college and took english lit. i know my english and spelling suck and would never open myself up to the scrutiny by helping.

lynnl
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Nick... Nit... ? Whatever..

The fact remains that some postings are so full of spelling and/or grammatical or syntax errors as to be virtually unreadable.
I tend to overlook the occasional error (I certainly make my share), but there comes a point when I just decide it's not worth trying to read.

A reminder - always go back and proof read what you've typed before posting it. In my short two sentences above I found and corrected 3 simple typos just by proof reading. (or maybe that's proofread. :) I'll let someone else correct me. :) )

Jpfalt
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
One thing to consider is that if Nick is a louse egg case stuck to a hair, then the original posting is technically correct.

Quetico Bob
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh, crap! I’d be the first to tell you I can’t spelz but at least I make an effort, none the less it is funny. Perhaps I should edit it to knit, as in the sewing circle…:D

Now if you will excuse me, I must go change feet (foot?)

Cheers, Bob

ligito
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
this is so funny it almost hurts. in the last few days i have seen three people on different forums (goodnaturedly) make spelling or english corrections and in every case someone with a sharp eye corrected them. i took the easy route in college and took english lit. i know my english and spelling suck and would never open myself up to the scrutiny by helping.

Ya done gud thow.

dockrat
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Where is Wolfie when ya need him??? :D

J Tiers
05-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I hate bad spelling as much as anyone. The newspaper "like-word errors" are painful.

But I am a horrible typer..... I get the "n-key rollover" to reverse half a word, sometimes....... And using MSWord for so long has allowed me to develop some remarkably bad habits, that instant correction covered up.

Just get over it as I have....... I doubt I have ever corrected someone's spelling error, and I am certain I have typed some doozies that I didn't get fixed right away.

You may as well deal with it...... not everyone is a good speller, or typer, and this isn't a spelling or penmanship contest in 3rd grade, it's a hobby forum.

Lew Hartswick
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Yea, I can over look a lot of spelling errors but use of the wrong
word is inexcusable. If you dont know the difference between
(for example) there and their. Then you should go back to grade
school. Oh another is site and sight for gosh sakes. It's easy to
tell if a finger just misses and hits an adjacent key (I think most
everyone uses a QWERTY key board, :-)).
...lew...

Ken_Shea
05-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Where is Wolfie when ya need him??? :D

Yes, I miss his sarcasm, got a lot of chuckles from his post, wish he'd come back.

Often, we take way too seriously ourselves and/or positions.

Ken_Shea
05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
ok after messing around more with with tourch decided to try the other option any how bad news this puppy has had its day and is dead forever , found out more bod news afer a carful inspection of the beast the bolts the hold hte motor to the base are lose and are also not going to turn unless i blow them off and put on new ones also noticed that hte body is twisted really bad noting going to fix that short of a new body so all this work was all for nothing wasted about 18 hours total messing with it 3/4 bottle of oxy and mapp fule not to metion i snaped a wrench apart and wasted 25.00 on and extractor tool thats also usless.. ok my rant is done now.., so she now has the alernate option i can sell her another mower thats perfect , this one does have some parts that can be salvaged so ill have to offer her a deal of some sort.. thanks for the adivice but this is one machine that just is ready to goto lawnmower heaven or hell , personaly its needs to got hell lololololollol

oh well onto the next project..

That's too bad, after all that effort that you come to this conclusion, it happens though and you gave it your best shot.

airsmith282
05-26-2009, 08:36 AM
some things just need to be put to rest and this is one of them thats for sure,,

Now for all you that like to tease about my spelling Grow up and get a life, you never thought maybe you have issuses you dont want to be teased about..

i may not be able to spell very well but there are alot of talents i have that i can certinaly make you all look very much undereducated in ...

just cause some one cant spell very well does not mean they are a lessor person..

making fun of someones disability is very crule and childish as well,i cant read that well either but that dont make me dumb.. might suprise you how smart i really am..

lets get started here shall we then you can all stop teasing me..

sence i was 9 years old i got into electronics and did alot of my own designs, i also was a programmer on apple. computers and wrote alot of my own stuff as well including incrypted passwords programs doesnt take a genius to write thoes.
i been working on bicycles also sence i was a young kid.. and then my fater got me started in auto mechanics and later on in my teens i got involved in small egine stuff that i later put aside so i forgot alot of stuff ,,

i was also into playing guitar sence i was 5 yesr old and also learn a bit of piano as well .. i also learned about how to use wood tools and to do construction and dry wall when i was 12 years old, my eyes are well tuned to spot even the smalles harilline fracture on circut boards..

so iam able to see things that even some people cant see even with a magnify glass,i have the attiuded to fix it not throw it out,, i never give up.. i also have done electrical sence i was 13,

started working on motor bikes sence i was 16 did my first engine rebuild when was 16 and no books to help me out either with it also no sprare parts left when i was done and it worked perfect, i spent many of my years in school learing to play trombone which i really did have a hard time at for awhile but i learned it any how , guitar was still my thing, i was offered 3 different times for recording contracts and turnned them all downm i never should have but oh well, i proved i was good enough and that was all the counted in the long run , I know teach Guitar part time... I also have done full house renos and still do work the odd time when im not busy with all the stuff iam into now..

i got into pellet gun and BB gun selling and repairing and sence my buddies got me into machining i starting making mod parts i had already been doing custom grips and as time went on i got better and better andhten i traided my wife to make them so i could do my machine stuff i have done some really cool cutom work for guys , i have sold allover the world my parts and done work for guys and also built parts for some custom hi powered stuff and made their design work even better.. sence i stoped pruducing mod parts and grips causei got fed up with alot of it i get alot of emails from even new people asking me to make them stuff as they have seen my stuff and heard about me and want my products ,,Feels great to say no ..

i also secne 1990 sold and repaired computers still do the odd job when i want and and iam very well respected for my ablilities and iam probley one of the most trusted computer repair guys where i live..

i have also leanred how to work on gas furnaces as well its interesting.. as for the machineing stuff ,, i recieved some help here and there and thank full for having the help i have gotten and still get here and there..
even yet my math skill also suck i can still do machining i know how to used my calipes and micrometer and i can use a mesureing tape very well to..

i learn more and more evey day,yet i can not read the best i can not spell very well and my math sucks ,i think on higher levels , extreamly creative,awesome with my hands and my eyes , i understand things most need and real education for, i can fiqure out most things really easy some not so easy. but im not afraid to ask for help. i also do land scaping as well time to time. i also spent a few years as an auto mechanic and i worked for subaru and a ford dealer ship as well as 2 other garages wow not bad for someone that has a few disibilitys./.

right now I tech guitar, do custom machining , work on small engines,still so other odd jobs for the neibours as well and my wife helps out . iam also selling used bicycles lawn equipmnet and so on and repairing them and soon making mod parts for them as well.. i will still work on the odd computer when asked, my old customers still love me, and they dont trust anyone else sence they have dealt with me over the years..

now i have done my best here in my spelling so i dont care.
oh i forgot i have a grade nine education plus 2 credits in grade 10 and i did 6 months in colledge so i think given all this i did and do very well for my self also fresh out of grade 10 after leaving high school my first job was as a computer programmer for and IBM company in town here.

ok i think i made my point ..

raymond b
05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
ok i gota very odd thing going on here , i gota lawn mower that the muffler rotted pretty normal for the the age its a B&S engine and i never had one this badley stuck before.. any how i have heated the pipe thats left hangingout with oxy mapp and wiht just the mapp and i have shot wd 409 in there ,, bought an extracor and can use it unless i remove the exhaust stem not worth the effort ,, any how welded on a shaft to give me more leverage , thats not working either , ok so now i need some help i have tired everything and iam stuck now so any one out there got and idea that will get this out , its in the blcok a good inch and its not supposed to be threaded in more then 1/2 inch but someone a few yearsback took the effort to screw it in the hole inch ...

raymond b;
use a fine tooth saw blade or course narrow edge jewlers file and cut a slit
through the pipe until you see the threads starting to show. Now repeat the process about 45-60 degrees and cut a second slit. Use a cape chisel and
chip the small section out. Now collapse the larger section in on itself at
the edge. It should break free and come right out. Clean it up good and put
the new one in using good anti-seize compound. You can make a really good
chipping tool out of a 3/16 or 1/4 in. lathe bit or a broken tap . Grind a taper
while rounding the flats . Grind the end so you have about 15 degrees under
90, not too sharp as it is primarly a driving surface as well as cutting. If you
have a nut that is rusted or frozen real bad especially on a stud like an exhust
manifold don't ring it off. Drill the nut and save yourself a LOT OF GRIEF. There are 2 ways to do this depending on how accessable the nut is. 1; you
can drill straight on the flat small holes side by side in just enough to touch
threads, step up in size till break tru then chisel to split the nut. 2; which I
use a lot is drill beside the bolt/stud threads using small drill steping up in
size and making minimum contact with the male threads. I then split the nut
with a sharp chisel and remove it. I've removed many this way from aircraft
engine exhaust. Believe me, it's a BAD day when you ring off one of those.
Hope this helps; Ray

dockrat
05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I hope this is not going off on too much of a tangent but yesterday I was trying to remove a 6mm round head socket screw that had the socket stripped right out. It was in a real ugly place to get at. I tried some long nose vise grips....no luck. Tried easy outs in the socket...no luck. I figured my next step was to mig a nut to the round head if I could get at it but then I remembered a set of nut extractors I had got for Xmas a few years ago and never had call to use. I didn't think that they would get a grip on the outside edge of that screw head but, WTH, lets try it. So with the nut extractor in a socket on the end of a long extension I gave it a go and who would believe it, it backed that screw right out!!! :D

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1235Medium.jpg

raymond b
05-26-2009, 08:41 PM

raymond b;
use a fine tooth saw blade or course narrow edge jewlers file and cut a slit
through the pipe until you see the threads starting to show. Now repeat the process about 45-60 degrees and cut a second slit. Use a cape chisel and
chip the small section out. Now collapse the larger section in on itself at
the edge. It should break free and come right out. Clean it up good and put
the new one in using good anti-seize compound. You can make a really good
chipping tool out of a 3/16 or 1/4 in. lathe bit or a broken tap . Grind a taper
while rounding the flats . Grind the end so you have about 15 degrees under
90, not too sharp as it is primarly a driving surface as well as cutting. If you
have a nut that is rusted or frozen real bad especially on a stud like an exhust
manifold don't ring it off. Drill the nut and save yourself a LOT OF GRIEF. There are 2 ways to do this depending on how accessable the nut is. 1; you
can drill straight on the flat small holes side by side in just enough to touch
threads, step up in size till break tru then chisel to split the nut. 2; which I
use a lot is drill beside the bolt/stud threads using small drill steping up in
size and making minimum contact with the male threads. I then split the nut
with a sharp chisel and remove it. I've removed many this way from aircraft
engine exhaust. Believe me, it's a BAD day when you ring off one of those.
Hope this helps; Ray