PDA

View Full Version : And one more ... TG Collets?

Fasttrack
05-24-2009, 12:05 AM
What are your thoughts regarding TG collets? I'd just like to hear what expierences you've had with TG collets before making a decision about what type of collets to buy. TG would be inexpensive and are readily available for a NST/NMTB 50 collet chuck. ER series and etc chucks are more difficult to find with the NST 50 taper. They seem to all come on CAT 50's.

moldmonkey
05-24-2009, 12:35 AM
They grip better than ERs but don't have as wide of range. Not really an issue if your are using them for endmills and straight shank tooling as you only need them in a few nominal sizes. Never had an issue with the ones I have used.

Mark Hockett
05-24-2009, 01:32 AM
I use TG 100 and TG 75 in my CNC mills. The TG 100 collets are common and reasonably priced for a large collet. They hold very well, maybe due to the angle difference on the taper.
Here is a comparison between ER 32 and TG 75,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/001.jpg

I have never noticed that the ER has a wider clamping range than the TG, but I have full sets and usually pick the closest size. TG 75 are not as common and more expensive as there doesn't seem to be the import competition.

macona
05-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Since the ER has a steeper taper the get more constriction for the travel of the collet in the taper. Thats why the ER has more range, but less grip.

Supposedly TG means tremendous grip. Dont know if that is for real though.

mister honey
05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
I can confirm that Tremendous Grip was the nomenclature the that Erickson Tool Co. applied to the TG type of collet.

Back in the day, Erickson also offered the TAG (Tremendous Accurate Grip) high precison collet.

Mike

fasto
05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I run TG100's on my NMTB40 horizontal mill, with great results. Remember to snap the collet into the nut before installing into the collet chuck, and that the nut tightening torque is a lot higher than you might expect, ~80 ft/lb as I recall.

The smaller range of the TG's (it's 1/64", or 0.015) compared to ER's (which are 1/32" I think) hasn't been an issue, as I have an almost complete set by 64's. Like everyone else, I usually use the 8th's sizes, though.

Now if I could find a reasonably priced R8 -> TG100 collet chuck I'd be all set.

Paul Alciatore
05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I have never used the TGs but I suspect that the shallower angle also provides more varience in the position of the work or tool in the collet. That would be without a collet stop anyway.

Fasttrack
05-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like they would be a good choice.