PDA

View Full Version : OT A perfect day and hey Torker

Quetico Bob
05-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Surf and turf for the BBQ tonight!
Saw the coolest thing about 2 o'clock this afternoon. School of 40-50 lake trout making their way right past the dock maybe 8 feet out. Smallest one about the size in the pic (perfect grill size) to huge 15+ lbs in my best guess.

Absolutly no intrest in the lure I was throwing them, but cool none the less. Lasted about a minute. Anyone else ever seen anything like this? Certainly a first for me, and this time of year??. Was actually not expecting to catch any more lake trout off the dock till next spring.

Hey Torker, when are you going to come out for a visit?? Guessing your working as per usual...

Cheers, Bob

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/24fishandbelly.jpg

torker
05-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Bob! Geez...you got the life o' Riley mister! Ummm...which one is you in the pic? LOL!
I may take you up on that offer someday. I'm gonna be footloose and fancy free one of these days and will be lookin for some time off :D
Russ

Evan
05-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I've seen the same thing in Bowron Lake Park. Swarms of fish all around and under the canoe and absolutely no interest in biting. Same time of day too. I've been around the 70 mile circuit three times and down the west side several more times. That used to be a big hobby of mine before the FMS screwed up my endurance. Used to be able to paddle 25 miles in a day and taking it easy too.

This is my son on the last trip we did together in '96.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/ryan.jpg

Rustybolt
05-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I've seen it in some of the harbors around lake Michigan, but only at night.

Quetico Bob
05-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Know exactly what you mean, used to really enjoy paddling. Both kayak and canoe but since I buggered my back canít last more than 20 minutes in one, canít even sit in a tin boat anymore unless it has a proper chair. Tend to do most of my fishing on the shoreline now and with the lake trout here thatís only a 2-3 week window if the weather cooperates. Nice pic of the son, big boy!

My son is the one with the good looks, most of the ladies say he gets them from is dadÖ:)
Let me know when your ready, hunting is really good around here as well if your into that, although last year I didnít see anything but wolf and wolf track.

Cheers, Bob

Evan
05-25-2009, 03:49 PM
My son wasn't full grown in that picture. :D He's 6'8" now and does drywall for a living. He can work twice as fast as most guys because he doesn't need stilts for the average house.

He and wife are expecting our first grandaughter sometime soon. My wife has been hoping for a grandaughter for years as we have three grandsons altogether. The kid is going to be spoiled beyond belief. :)

I don't hunt but will if we need the meat. That won't exactly be a challenge since I can reach out the window and bash a deer over the head with a baseball bat. For moose I would need to step outside since it doesn't seem sporting to shoot from a window.

All you have to do around here to bring the deer running is to fall a tree. The moment they hear a chainsaw followed by the thump of a tree hitting the ground they run, not walk, from all directions to feast on the lichen that they can't normally reach. Fall a tree and turn around and there will be half a dozen waiting for you to get out of the way.

Quetico Bob
05-25-2009, 04:28 PM
:eek: Yikes, as it was, almost looked like he was subbing one of the fir columns with his head for a repair job.

And yes our only son is spoiled the same way. He has everything that was not in the means for me, but has been taught to respect and earn it. Bet you canít wait to get your granddaughter in the shop!!:)

Ya, grew up in Princeton, the mulies were never to swift, last time I went through they where hearded up wherever and everywhere, guess itís a big problem now with vegetable gardens. The whitetails over here in the promised land ;) (wait till Pete sees this, heís anti-Ontario, but secretly I know he wishes we (not me, all of us) would allow him to live here) are a little different, really have to work at it to even get a shot.

Moose however here are a different breed. The bush is thick with them in fact youíre taking your chances even driving the roads at night. Until of course hunting season, then itís like they have sprouted wings and headed south. The window thing, well Iím not sure. Window, empty freezer, good shotÖ.ya, your right not sporting.:)

Cheers, Bob

Duffy
05-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Saw Lake trout like that in Lac Mussett in northern Quebec, above Schefferville. The depth finder painted a solid band at ten feet. One of the crew caught and released 25 in less than an hour-kept enough for supper though! Duffy

Quetico Bob
05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Wish I had that kinda luck in fact I wish my wife had come down with the camera an hour earlier. Would have made a picture worthy of the wall, it was like somekind of professional movie, just plain and clear as day. I will chaulk that up as a "once in a lifetime" moment. Have only managed to net 3 this season. Till next year :)

Cheers, Bob

uncle pete
05-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Bob, If you remember people had to pay me to go to Ontario, The last moose I got in Ontario I used a 1987 International and a set of chip trains, Anybody can "shoot" moose, If you use a truck you get to leave a pinch mark in the drivers seat.

Pete