PDA

View Full Version : Power Hacksaw

firbikrhd1
02-06-2002, 03:34 PM
I recently posted the following question on the Third Hand area of this web site and have gotten no replies. If anyone can browsing this area can assist I would apprecitate it greatly. Thank you!
I just acquired a Racine Automatic Lift Draw Cut Saw, in other words, a power hacksaw. It was manufactured during WWII and has a War Ordinance tag on it. I hope to restore it to its original condition, or something close, but the mechanism that lifts (or feeds, I'm not sure which)it is missing some parts and I am unfamiliar with how it works. Does anyone have one of these saws or a similar one that would be willing to post a picture or can advise where I can get information about this machine? Thank you.

[This message has been edited by firbikrhd1 (edited 02-06-2002).]

Robert Jones
02-06-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes. I had a Keller power hacksaw that used hydraulics to operate the blade lift on the backstroke and a big adjustable spring for the feed control. It had a pump for the hydraulics run off the drive wheel through a cam; fluid operated a cylinder to lift and drop the blade. Keller Industries wanted over $300 for the pump and cyl. If this was a money making shop, it might have been worth it, but not for a hobby. I ran it with no blade lift and the weight of the arm to feed the cut. I didn't have any problems with it, but again only intermittent duty, which will eventuallly wear out the blades, but they are relatively cheap from Enco and MSC. I did cut over 50 pieces of 1" stainless rod in two sessions of a few hours each. I don't think I hurt anything, this 600 lb diamond in the rough is one tough animal, I trade it to a friend who is using it to build parts for race cars.I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want to cut with it, go for the easiest, simplest way.

SGW
02-06-2002, 06:24 PM
We probably didn't answer because we don't know...at least I don't know...but....

I bet there are a lot of similarities among power hacksaw mechanical mechanisms. Perhaps you can broaden your search to include finding out how ANY* power hacksaw's lift mechanism works, and see if that information helps you deduce how yours is supposed to work.

Joe Brogemo at Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT, has a collection of old machinery parts manuals, etc. that I believe he will copy for a fee. You might send an inquiry his way. Other dealers ( www.mermac.com (http://www.mermac.com) or Dave Sobel) may do the same.

Thrud
02-07-2002, 01:37 AM
I am with SGW, never used one, I am not much help - sorry. I read all of these, I will comment if I have something I might be able to add to the conversation.

Dave