PDA

View Full Version : Rifle rear tang peep sight done ...

nheng
06-12-2009, 11:25 PM
All I can say is, I really should have drawn at least a sketch. This was built on the fly and came out fine but was touch and go with several key features. It was made for a friend's old Stevens bolt action.

Elevation is adjusted my gently loosening the peep disc and adjusting it against a scale milled into the other side.

Windage adjustment and a means to adjust vertical orientation when on the rifle almost killed the project. The vertical orientation is set by a setscrew stop that the bottom skirt of the rail stops against. A little loctite and all is well as you only need to adjust this once.

The windage is adjusted by loosening the left hand (snug thread) knob and turning the "leadscrew", a snug 6-40 single pointed shaft. A centered 3/8" length of that shaft has the threads turned down to a smooth diameter. From the bottom of the lower plate, a brass tipped setscrew presses against this turned down length, creating interference between the leadscrew and its mating thread but still allowing travel. After windage is adjusted, the knobs are tightened and the knob-frame-leadscrew combination has a nice friction feel to it. The friction holds it in the upright or storage positions.

If it were for a rifle with a lot of recoil, I would redesign it for a positive mechanical lock in the up position.

The finish is Birchwood Casey cold black but may be redone with hot bluing.

Den

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/nheng/DSCN1704.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/nheng/DSCN1706.jpg

x39
06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Looks great!

Ken_Shea
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Very nice Den, that is some extra fine knurling on the aperture, bet you're friend is glad you didn't give up on it.

Ken

Quetico Bob
06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Very nice indeed, what type of material was used for it?
Cheers, Bob

nheng
06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
It's 12L14 which is one of the reasons that it needs to be blued or kept wiped with oil. I would rather have used something else but wanted the ease of machining so I could focus on precision instead of on fancier workholding of parts with small cross sections.

JCHannum
06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice work indeed. There is nothing wrong with 12L14 for that application.

Small parts such as that can be heat blued by heating in a pan of dry sand or brass shavings. Heat is slowly on the stove top when Grandmom has the G-kids at the zoo. When the desired color is achieved, quench in oil and wipe dry.

The sand or shavings make the heating uniform and the temperature rise slow enough to watch the color develop.

andy_b
06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
beautiful work!!!

andy b.

Your Old Dog
06-14-2009, 06:04 AM
nicely done! The knurling looks slick on there as well. Bet your friend is probably at the local pub buying you some brew as we speak !!

Dawai
06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
If you had a screw to take it up and down? On several of my target guns you spin the "offset" drilled peep for a micro adjustment.

I have one old US Army trainer I used to light matches with. Not every time.. but about a year back when the squirrels were trying to move into my attic I shot one in the eye.. My wife didn't believe till I found it and fetched it from the woods behind the shop. About a hundred fifty foot shot.