PDA

View Full Version : Consortium

Quetico Bob
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Man, what a kick it would be able to provide some kind of volunteer service on a realistic level for those genuinely in need. The combined talent from everyone here is just overwhelming and a very powerful tool.

It never ceases to amaze me. So many people, so many ideas, from all over the world focused on one spot. Its like opening a book to a page and there’s a helping hand. Makes one sit back and think.

Too bad the global community couldn’t get on the same page. Think we all should be machinists.:D
Wonder what it would be called?

Just an observation from a lonely sole stuck in the bush. Families in the big smoke for a week, Father in law has developed an aneurysm.

Cheers, Bob

Alistair Hosie
06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear of your father in law my brother died from one hope he is ok Alistair

MTNGUN
06-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I agree that we HSM'ers have a pretty good attitude, compared to the general population. We are "can do" people. Constructive, creative, logical, and not a lot of BS (to the extent that we stay on topic).

Machinists produce tangible things that can be easily measured and judged for quality.

Compare that to professions that produce no tangible results. They write reports, make phone calls, go to meetings, give presentations, read their email, and "manage" things. Those professions are chock full of BS -- and they pretty much run the world.

bborr01
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Bob
Hope your father in law is ok.
I also have found this site to fill a void that I have had since I retired 3 years ago. When I was working, we had up to 500 trades people. Just about no matter what a person wanted to know about, (especially pre-internet), just ask around. Someone knows someone else who had the answer or information you wanted.
This site is much the same and I thank everyone for being so generous with their time to share their knowledge.
Brian

drof34
06-13-2009, 11:23 PM
If he knows he has one then he is in pretty good shape. They can be fixed. Its those that you DON'T know about that usually kill you.

I had a good friend and fellow coworker who died from an abdominal aortic aneurism about 20 years or so ago. He died within a coupla hours and never made it out of his bathroom. No symptons prior to rupturing.

My father-in-law was reaching across the dining table for a bowl of food when he collapsed on the table. His aortic aneurism was just above his heart.

Neither of the two above were aware of any aneurism.

A very good doctor said in~1992 that he thought he felt one in my abdomen and sure enough an ultra-sound confirmed it. We watched it grow(via ultra-sound) for a coupla years before he consented to fix it in 1994. I have had a piece of dacron tube for the lower end of my aorta that branchs out into my illiac arteries with no problems ever since.

Teenage_Machinist
06-15-2009, 01:45 AM
A lot of office jobs are BS ish, most are useful, but the great thing about machining is that given a lathe, some tooling, and a pile of metal, you can in time produce most of the technology that is most essential to the modern world.