PDA

View Full Version : Inspired bicycles

aostling
06-15-2009, 01:14 AM
This verges on being impossible. Is it for real? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

macona
06-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Incredible balance!

rotate
06-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Absolutely awesome. Very inspirational.

gnm109
06-15-2009, 02:50 AM
He's sure good! People do similar things on modern trials motorcycles as well. It's really quite amazing.

Your Old Dog
06-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Yea I think it's real. But notice the guy looks 4 years older near the end of the movie. I'm guessing a few of those stunts required more then one try :D Can you imagine the money you could make betting people on the street of the stunts you'd try !!

Alan Smith
06-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Nah, that's Edinburgh, you would'nt get any money out of them they're tighter than Aberdonians!

J Tiers
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
You have to be remarkably indifferent to the 'downside" scenario to ride the fence....... I think I'd try most any of the other tricks in preference (and I am *not likely* to do any of them.....)

I have a distinct lack of appreciation for being impaled.

ZINOM
06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I've watched that before...he's pretty great....bicycle trials riding is pretty impressive and inspiring.

John

madman
06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
He sure must practicwe a LOY must not have a real Job LOL Amazing stuff.

TGTool
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I enjoyed the heck out of the video but I'm not sure it's all on the up and up. I notice that at some times he has to have a fixed drive, for instance to be able to back pedal and reverse, but other times it seems to freewheel since he can roll without peddling. I suppose you could make a freewheel lock but it just seems a little to facile to me to be real.

A.K. Boomer
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Danny MacAskills the best in the world at what he does, Its a matter of incredible pride and there's no BS, You don't work that hard at something and then put out a bogus video to discredit yourself -- he may not have what some people call a "real job" - But He's got himself an early retirement career.

rotate
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of the video but I'm not sure it's all on the up and up. I notice that at some times he has to have a fixed drive, for instance to be able to back pedal and reverse, but other times it seems to freewheel since he can roll without peddling. I suppose you could make a freewheel lock but it just seems a little to facile to me to be real.

I check the video again carefully and when he is pedaling backwards he's not driving the wheel but instead just moving backwards from the momentum of the previous move. He just makes it look like he's pedaling backwards.

Also note that he uses more than one bike for the video.

This guy is for real. You can tell from the video that he's also very modest about his accomplishments.

barts
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Well, the video was made over a few months; I can just imagine the blooper reel :eek:

For those wishing to learn a few stunts and all about the bikes: http://www.trashzen.com/

Trackstands at traffic lights are a nice way of passing the time....

- Bart

Wirecutter
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Well, the video was made over a few months; I can just imagine the blooper reel :eek:

For those wishing to learn a few stunts and all about the bikes: http://www.trashzen.com/

Trackstands at traffic lights are a nice way of passing the time....

- Bart
When I was a bike messenger and at college, I did trackstands at traffic signals. Not easy for me, but if I can do it, it's not that difficult a skill for a trials biker. It's right down there with riding a bike backwards sitting on the handlebars.

I think the video is real, but heavily edited. And as others have pointed out, Danny MacAskill is world class, not just some kid from the neighborhood. I've also seen videos of people getting pretty nasty and gruesome injuries attempting some of the easier (? I have trouble saying that...) of these stunts. I can only imagine the incredible amount of practice and the many, many injuries it took to get to this kind of skill level.

I suspect that, for many kids, there's an interval of varying length that starts at the age of around 12 and usually ends in the early 20's. During said interval, the self-preservation instinct is supressed dramatically. Perhaps this is when Nature allows us to attempt the extraordinary in order to fetch a mate. I know when my "immortality" interval ended, too - when I completely separated my shoulder in a bicycle accident at the age of 25. Until then, I had no idea so much pain was possible. Afterwards, I started getting more and more cautious.

-M

Wirecutter
06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
You can tell from the video that he's also very modest about his accomplishments.
Is this sarcasm? Really - how can you tell one way or another? I can't see his expression, and it seems to me like his hands (and feet) are preoccupied, preempting any kind of "high 5", pumping a fist in the air, etc. :D

A.K. Boomer
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
When I was a bike messenger and at college, I did trackstands at traffic signals. Not easy for me, but if I can do it, it's not that difficult a skill for a trials biker. It's right down there with riding a bike backwards sitting on the handlebars.

IMHO Trackstands are much more easier than riding a bike backwards, I do have great balance, I can do a trackstand till I either have to go to the bathroom or eat, but I cant ride my bike backwards over 5 feet...

Perhaps this is when Nature allows us to attempt the extraordinary in order to fetch a mate. I know when my "immortality" interval ended, too - when I completely separated my shoulder in a bicycle accident at the age of 25. Until then, I had no idea so much pain was possible. Afterwards, I started getting more and more cautious.

-M

Iv been hurt more than once showing off to girls, from now on when Im around females and on my bike I see a little red safety flag waving.

This pic is as good as my balance gets, I was perched on two rock tops with front and rear and stayed there long enough to get a pic.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/Carloshorsethiefridge.jpg

speedy
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM

I didn't see it that way ....you old cynic;) . He is backpedaling to maintain balance and inertia.
He is an impressive athlete. Here is a bit more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqL6tiEmV4&NR=1

TGTool
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I didn't see it that way ....you old cynic;) . He is backpedaling to maintain balance and inertia.
He is an impressive athlete. Here is a bit more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqL6tiEmV4&NR=1

Okay,okay. Uncle! I'm convinced. Just so astonishing it's hard to swallow at first encounter.

andy_b
06-16-2009, 10:31 AM
i always wished i could do crap like that, but i have a hard enough time just keeping my balance standing on my own two feet. :)

andy b.

Wirecutter
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
IMHO Trackstands are much more easier than riding a bike backwards, I do have great balance, I can do a trackstand till I either have to go to the bathroom or eat, but I cant ride my bike backwards over 5 feet...

This pic is as good as my balance gets, I was perched on two rock tops with front and rear and stayed there long enough to get a pic.

That's funny - I think we're "opposites" that way. When I would trackstand, I didn't "hop" the front or back wheel, and eventually I'd have to drop a foot or inch forward or backward a bit. It wasn't easy to do, but I could do it. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ever hold a pose like that long enough to get a photo. BTW, any chance the photographer is female? :D :D

Riding backward on the handlebars, OTOH, is something I can do until I either run into something, run out of nerve, or get tired of craning my neck around from time to time to see where I'm going. When I learned it, it was like flipping a switch - at first I couldn't do it, then I could.

George Bulliss
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I never was any good at tricks but did plenty of riding back when I lived in Jackson Hole. A few weeks back I had a painful reminder that those days are long gone.

A washed out trail pitched me off my bike and face first into a large maple. I fractured my C2 but fortunately avoided any spinal chord damage. Still awful sore though. I also have a little added character on my face to remind me that Iím not as young as I used to be.

George

A.K. Boomer
06-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Damn George --- that's no small crash, glad your alright and remember to add a little more time on the clock to heal also... (its not just the years - its the mileage!)

A.K. Boomer
06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
That's funny - I think we're "opposites" that way. When I would trackstand, I didn't "hop" the front or back wheel, and eventually I'd have to drop a foot or inch forward or backward a bit. It wasn't easy to do, but I could do it. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ever hold a pose like that long enough to get a photo. BTW, any chance the photographer is female? :D :D

Riding backward on the handlebars, OTOH, is something I can do until I either run into something, run out of nerve, or get tired of craning my neck around from time to time to see where I'm going. When I learned it, it was like flipping a switch - at first I couldn't do it, then I could.

Yup - your hardwiring allows you to do that, mine won't or at least if it would it sure does not come naturally.
The photo was taken by a guy but that's why I probably made it down safely multiple runs :p --- That ridge was very technical and it also shook you up a little because there was blood on it.

Trackstand tip; by the time your hopping the front or rear wheel it means that your stand is already in trouble, all bikes have a head tube angle (mine is 71 degree's) This geometry factor is all that's really needed to keep your initial balance (once you first get into it and are seeking an equilibrium) as moving it from one side to the other has enough effect on your side CG to get yourself dialed in, then the increments become smaller, then become almost non-existent as your just about perfectly still, when Im in this mode I have my wheel way off to one side and my leg into the frame and the bike cocked and locked and Im standing not sitting.

aostling
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Now, two years after my OP, Danny MacAskill has somehow ramped up his skills to an even higher level. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI.

quadrod
09-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Same guy i saw this video tonight.
http://www.wimp.com/bikeskills/

M_C
09-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Danny Mac is a very talented rider.

I've spoken to him a few times, and know guys who've spent a lot of time with him, and he is very modest. He's actually a very shy guy, and if it wasn't for the fact he likes riding his bike as much as he does, he would probably settle for a life well away from the spotlight.

psomero
09-04-2011, 05:12 PM

i didn't see anything that'd necessitate a fixed rear cog. the fakie (backwards) wheelies are doable with a regular freewheel or cassette hub.

in my prime (high school age) as a bmx ramp rider, i used to be able to do flyouts on a halfpipe and land in a fakie wheelie on the deck, roll it for 10-15 feet, then spin back into the ramp. all of that pedal pressure is hard on the knees and incredibly hard on your drivetrain, but it's totally doable...

wierdscience
09-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes Danny stupidity does hurt-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3kL8-Ni48

I'm glad he's not in my insurance pool.

More stupid stunts-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFe3hEwn8Ws&feature=related

RussZHC
09-04-2011, 09:34 PM
by the time your hopping the front or rear wheel it means that your stand is already in trouble, all bikes have a head tube angle (mine is 71 degree's) This geometry factor is all that's really needed to keep your initial balance (once you first get into it and are seeking an equilibrium) as moving it from one side to the other has enough effect on your side CG to get yourself dialed in, then the increments become smaller, then become almost non-existent as your just about perfectly still, when Im in this mode I have my wheel way off to one side and my leg into the frame and the bike cocked and locked and Im standing not sitting.

bold 1: or you are in the wrong spot to begin with (either by choice or by someone else's desires)

bold 2: you better be IF you are involved in the trackstand's origin, on a velodrome, or you've already lost

Orrin
09-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I've spoken to him a few times, and know guys who've spent a lot of time with him, and he is very modest. He's actually a very shy guy, and if it wasn't for the fact he likes riding his bike as much as he does, he would probably settle for a life well away from the spotlight.
Thank you for confirming that my admiration for Danny MacAskill is not misplaced.

Orrin