PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 618 Countershaft setup

budedm
06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I acquired a Craftsman 6" 101.21400 (Atlas 618). It was in pieces. I can't for
the life of me figure out how the countershaft mounts behind the lathe and I
even have a setup manual with a drawing in it. But the drawing isn't very
descriptive. The problem is that when I set it up like the drawing says, the top of the belt rubs on the frame of the countershaft stand when the belt is on the largest pulley on the countershaft and the smallest on the lathe spindle. So, Ithought if I raised the stand up by putting a block of wood under it, it wouldfix the problem. But when I get it so that it just clears the frame, then the belt rubs on the bottom of the lathe backgear shaft. What's the deal? This is very frustrating.

JBL37
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Have a TH54 Atlas Lathe. The base of it's countershaft assembly is level with the base of the lathe. The countershaft is slightly above the lathe's spindle. The enclosed picture shows the belt running from the countershaft to the spindle. Note: the backgear shaft is inside the belt. Your setup should be very similar. Hope this information and picture helps. Jimhttp://home.att.net/~itemforsale/lathe09.jpg

budedm
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Jim,
Thanks. Yes, my setup is almost identical. But it just doesn't clear the belt. I'm wondering if the size of the belt is wrong and therefore it doesn't sit down in the pulley far enough. Does anyone have an aftermarket belt number that works instead of the $15 one that Clausing wants for the OEM M6-127A?

gbottolfsen
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Have a TH54 Atlas Lathe. The base of it's countershaft assembly is level with the base of the lathe. The countershaft is slightly above the lathe's spindle. The enclosed picture shows the belt running from the countershaft to the spindle. Note: the backgear shaft is inside the belt. Your setup should be very similar. Hope this information and picture helps. Jimhttp://home.att.net/~itemforsale/lathe09.jpg

Hello

Not hijacking this thread, just a quick question

I just got my lathe, the round black knob lever moves the gears
to mesh with the spindle gears. It locks everthing up nothing turns.
Is this correct? If so what good is it?

Thanks
Gene

Optics Curmudgeon
06-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Gene

In the photo you can see a pin in the face of the bull gear, it locks the bull gear to the step pulley. The pin has to be pulled out (not all the way, it has detented in and out positions) when the back gears are engaged.

Joe

budedm
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Also, there is a small allan head screw on the root of one of the spindle pulleys. This is an oil hole screw. Make sure it is not tightened to the shaft. It is supposed to be just to plug the hole after you oil it.

gbottolfsen
06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Gene

In the photo you can see a pin in the face of the bull gear, it locks the bull gear to the step pulley. The pin has to be pulled out (not all the way, it has detented in and out positions) when the back gears are engaged.

Joe

Joe
Thanks for that info. [my first lathe, cheap and old]

I learn a lot here at this site, thanks everyone.

Gene