PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Reckermann milling machine

michaelantipode
06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

http://cgi.ebay.de/gute-alte-deutsche-Universal-Fraesmaschine-Reckermann_W0QQitemZ270407123842QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZIndustriemaschinen?hash=item3ef5854382&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1229|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

SteveG_CT
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Interesting machine... Looks kind of like a horizontal mill with a vertical attachment.

MickeyD
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, that looks like a heavy duty versatile machine. Looks like 3 way power on the table, horizontal arbor, nod and tilt on the head plus a movable ram, and quill feed. Sort of like an Abene VHF-3 with the unobtainium movable quill and tilt on the head. You should post this over on the PM site in the Euromill section - I am sure that someone there has knowledge of it.

Fasttrack
06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow, that looks like a heavy duty versatile machine. Looks like 3 way power on the table, horizontal arbor, nod and tilt on the head plus a movable ram, and quill feed. Sort of like an Abene VHF-3 with the unobtainium movable quill and tilt on the head. You should post this over on the PM site in the Euromill section - I am sure that someone there has knowledge of it.

Since your a new guy here, michaelantipode, welcome! The "pm" that MickeyD is talkin about is "Practical Machinist":

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/

lazlo
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow, that is an odd bird. It's a true universal, in that it has seperate horizontal and vertical spindles, but the vertical spindle sure looks like a second horizontal spindle with a Cincinnati-style spiral bevel gear universal adapter on it.

It also has a knee, which goes against the Deckel-style design the Germans were fond of at the time.
I'm sure Don (over at PracticalMachinist) can tell you the whole history of the machine.

By the way, Reckermann is still in business -- you might drop them an email:

http://www.reckermann-fraesmaschinen.de/home.php

That red paint gives me a migraine :)

loosewatches
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I just moved back to California from Austria, where I worked as a machinist, among other things. Iíve used a bunch of Austrian, German, Czech, (etc.) machines, but Iíve never seen one of these. Itís quite a machine, from the looks of it. And, at just 51,50 Euros, how can you go wrong? How much can shipping be, Ten grand? Oops, seller says there will be no delivery. Gotta go pick it up. In an effort to appear helpful, I offer the following (somewhat clunky) translation.

Hereís what the seller says:

Attention- Giving up my Hobby [ ed. Iím assuming thatís his intent]
Good, Old German Reckerman Mill for sale!

From a time when stability was valued. Not a crappy new ďmodern productĒ
This is a (very) universal mill. One big advantage is the long table and dual tool holders (vertical and horizontal), where the head completely pivots and can be cranked out. Because of this, [ed. difficult] milling and drilling operations are possible, for example, when on wants to mill a second spark plug hole in a Harley cylinder head. The machine, despite (or maybe because of) its age, has run very dependably. I grudgingly give this machine up due only to a move and subsequent lack of space.

The seller goes on to list other items for offer in other auctions.

He then says:

Sorry, but I didn't have time to clean the machine before I photographed it, thus, the grease.

hope that helps,
-loose

michaelantipode
06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just thought it looked like a strange bird, but one which would save floor space (two mills in one?). Thanks for the translation loosewatches. I wonder how much could be wrong with such a machine other than the cost of getting it anywhere one might want it, and the red paint on EVERYTHING! and, what various "necessary" extras are not included. But as you suggest, loosewatches, if the price stays low enough, who knows? I might have to go visit the German relatives....

.RC.
06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually you cannot tell if it is a universal mill or not..A universal mill allows the table to swivel for milling things like helical gears..

lane
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Not familiar with that machine. But many many years ago ran a Cincinnati that was built like that . Was a very handy machine could do a lot with it.