PDA

View Full Version : projects

Okuma2540
06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
hello all,
I am looking for projects for my students to do next year. Do any of you have any ideas. We make several different screw jacks, grinding vise, bench vise, sine bar, 123 blocks and others .thought I would pick your brains for some new ideas making the same ole stuff is getting boring. Just trying to change things up. My class is 3 hrs long everyday so we have plenty of shop time to work on long projects. We have mills, lathes, grinders, cnc,and a heat treat area just to give you an idea of what we have.:D

budedm
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
How about a class team project like a sit down tricycle or trebuchet?

Oldbrock
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
My drafting class designed a simple twin cylinder double acting steam engine, non reversable, Which my machine shop seniors made one each. will see if I can find the drawings and add them next post. All made out of bar stock. 1" bore 1" stroke. Peter

Alistair Hosie
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
A good one is a ball turning jig easy and fun and informative.Alistair

Oldbrock
06-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I have put the drawings safe, if and when I find them I will post them for anyone to use. Peter. Alistair, my students made a ball turning attachment too and it got used a lot. Lots of plans for various types on the net.

Jim Shaper
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
The final project in our grinding class was a toolmakers square. Roughed out on the mill, then HT, then precision ground.

You could make v blocks with clamps too. That'd be handy.

Guido
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Son made trips to Oz and came home with a pair of cast jaffle irons. Use 'em every camping trip and then some. Can't find pics to post, but they are simply two cast iron, or machined aluminum plates, hinged together on one edge, with long steel handles off the opposite edge and wooden hand grips.

Used in the outback for making toasties, or heated American sandwiches.

eBay or google: Jaffle iron

Student would etch-a-sketch school name and date on backside and keep forever.

G

Boucher
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Being interested in gunsmithinng, two of my early machinning projects were an action wrench and barrell vise. These were similar to Brownells designs. John L. Hinnant's book on Barrel Fitting has a number of basic gunsmithing tools that are both usefull and instructive in their construction. The Brownells catalog has many examples of simple usefull tools. For the record, I ultimately purchased their Action wrench and barrell vice in other configurations that I needed. There is a headspace measuring tool shown the PM site constructed using a micrometer thimble held in a bushing that screws onto the barrell thread. This beats the heck out of trying to hold and fumble with a depth mike. There are also several versions of floating reamer holders shown on that site in the Gunsmithing Forum.

Bushings and mandrells to facilitate changing bearings on boat trailers etc. sure make that job go faster and easier. I made some out of 7075-T6 and was surprised how tough it is.

The Welding supply sells some gate hinges That are basically 1" sq with an offset pin and hole with a bearing ball in it. The fancier versions even have a grease zerk.

Several have posted pictures on this forum showing threading stops and micrometer stops. These need to be configured to fit the specific lathe but they are two of the most usefull tools one can have.

A good belt sander is another very usefull tool in the shop. The Knife maker site has some plans that I assume needs some machinning. The Gunsmithing School at Trinidad CO Used to have a belt grinder type barrell polisher that they had the plans for.

The other half of the barrell polishing project consists of the adjustable length barrell holder with bearings and delrin or brass centers.

The quick change tool holder blocks.

Tool holders for things like the vertical threading inserts TNMC 43 NV or TNMC 32 NV.

Lathe setup test bars and a custom made indicator holder drilled on the exact centerline of the lathe are usefull after moving the tailstock to cut a taper.

Boucher
06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I am without a brain for you to pick and am not very proficent using the computer. If you are interested in any of these ideas and need futher clarification Let me know and I will try.

Hawkeye
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

SGW
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
You might check out Elmer's engines. They're a series of simple, small engines of different designs made to run on compressed air. The book is out of print and insanely expensive used, but the plans are online, free, somewhere. You can probably find them through Google.

v860rich
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
A couple of years ago I went to the local Jr Col for a class, the first project was a Kant Twist Clamp, then a jack screw, next a V block and clamp. I also did a 2" boring head.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

michael3fingers
06-19-2009, 01:14 AM
could you please make some V blocks. I have some lumps of cast here that I want to turn into V Blocks with my mill but I do not know where to start..

gearedloco
06-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Back in the dark ages, the first section of machine shop was 2 periods per day for one semester. The project was a belt-driven 6" bench grinder. The instructor had made the patterns and core boxes. Each student made all the parts for his grinder, including the castings. The only purchased parts were a pair of ball bearings, a Woodruff key, and a few screws.

In the senior year, we had machine shop both semesters for 2 periods a day. The project was a wood lathe, about 10-12 inch swing with a bed about 48" long. Again, the instructor made the patterns and core boxes. The work was organized as sort of a production line arrangement, where one person made some number of an assigned part. I was fortunate in that I was assigned to make some of the jigs/fixtures. A couple of them required making mandrels with tapered sections to fit in the lathe headstocks. IIRC, they were Morse #2 and #3 tapers.

The steel ways were bent up at a local machine shop during spring break. The catch was that the brake had to be repaired before we could use it! The instructor and a few of the students did this work.

Again, very few purchased parts were used. At one point I felt like if I never saw an 8-32 brass acorn nut again it would be too soon! We did not have a lathe with a turret. I got lots of practice setting up tools in the lantern tool holder!

At the end of the project, the lathes were given out by lottery. We made more lathes than there were students as some of the (non-shop) teachers wanted one.

As it turned out I gave/sold my machines to my brother-in-law, now my ex-brother-in-law, probably by now my late ex-BIL. I sure wish I'd have hung on to them.:(
-bill

tattoomike68
06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
My brother made a small boring bar in college. It was square with radiused corners and took 1/4" bits. its about 5/8" and about 10" long. Fits in a quick change holder. we used it for the last 20 years. Its heat treated, still in great shape.

Its the type of tool your students can put in thier box and take to the job later and put to good use.

Works slick for internal o ring grooves and threading.

Okuma2540
06-20-2009, 11:07 AM
thanks for all the ideas guys!