PDA

View Full Version : my new lathe "wood lathe that is"

Alistair Hosie
06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Well not so new now but laST YEAR I bought a new woodworking lathe and sold my other one which was a smaller wadkin bursgreen. This new one was a startrite big job about 6 feet between cebntres and over the bed about 8 inches double to 16inches or slightly more so it has a big capacity,Anyway it has a couple of design elements that I don't like.First one is no through hole in the headstock and the other is although a plus is that its 240 volts single phase it's really too fast ,no matter how you try, and even when belt changing it is dangerously fast.I am going to have to change the nice big single phase motor for a simlar three phase and do an invertor change with it this should sort irt out .I cannot seem to contact startrite and any thing on google etc does not show startrite doing lathes this is really the professional side of record does anyone know how to contact them re this startrite not record.Alistair

John Stevenson
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Jock,
Is it a Startrite as in Startrite Bandsaw co etc or is it a Union as they did a model called Startrite.

Also did a big one called Union Graduate, could it be a bit of badge engineering ?

Alistair Hosie
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
No John I used to own a graduate myself this is a very modern lathe " much bigger than the graduate a real long bed lathe in fact heres a few pics thanks .OOPs I mean pal err it will be tomorrow now I can't find the ones I took and am too tired to go tonight to do it again sorry guys will post some soon.Alistair.Alistair

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
here it is at last as said the bed is about 6 feet thanks excuse the mess on it I am cleaning the shop spring cleaning

Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
John here it is at last definitely Startrite same as bandsaw etc etc .As said the bed is about 6 feet and is about 8 feet overall .It is a big a heavy bugger about one third of a ton or more, thank goodness it comes to pieces any help woul'd be greatfully received .I know Strartrite is a professional arm of record tools or so I believe thanks.Please excuse the mess on it I am cleaning the shop spring cleaning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/IMG_1814.jpg

Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken_Shea
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Very nice HD set up Alistair, always wanted to try my hand at wood turning but never got to doing it.

Almost did about 6 months ago when I saw an older Rockwell (when they built HD stuff) wood lathe go for $300, called and it was of course already sold.

Ken

oldtiffie
06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Alistair.

I have a 230v 1 phase 50 cycle set-up in my shop. My (Chinese) lathe needs "slowing down" for screw-threading but I haven't done anything about it yet.

I have considered putting in a 3-phase variable speed set-up but the cost and hassle is not worth it

I've considered changing pulley ratios and other things, but without really looking into it, I was attracted to these variable-speed 230v 1 phase motors - which are not cheap by any means but may be an effective easy to implement solution with 600>1800 RPM speed range::

2 HP:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=E122

1 HP:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=E120

CMG Motors:
http://www.cmggroup.com.au/Products.php

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=cmg+motors&meta=&aq=0&oq=cmg+

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
well Alistair ..you were always asking what you could make with your 1024 and the rest of your metalworking kit ..put it to use ..and make a set of inter-changeable pulleys for it ....dodle of a job.

no need to swap motors .

pulley and belt calculator
http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

and you will find how to make an internal keyway cutter attatchment for the lathe on many sites

all the best./mark

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry mark not possible! Unfortunately the design is no good for that plan.Ther-in lies the problem I have plenty of pulley wheels I could supply Woolworths with them :D but there is not room up top spindle for a large pulley the max I could fit would be about five inches because of the space within the pulley spindle housing cabinet on the end of the lathe.I had two good friends look at it Fred and my old college lecturer JIM their both engineers and have advised me.they measured between the top spindle and the housing casing at that point.On top of whicth the hassle with my back problems getting down on the ground and winding the motor on a bed up and down would make woodturning less than a happy occasion thanks anyway pal.Alistair

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
you got loads of other choices ..there are other pulleys including the motor one .

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I wondered about making a countershaft type of arrangement / come third pulley arrangement within the existing housing and that's why I asked their advice but this is also maybe too difficult .I still wonder if the invertor is the answer.I don't know what other pulleyc you are referring to mark Alistair

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
post a pic of the pulleys including the motor

if you put an inverter on it ..some of those controls may have to be reworked ..or made redundant (what are the small black buttons for)

it may be easier to cut away the top housing around the spindle pulley to put a larger one on ..than to rework the switch gear.

all the best.markj

John Stevenson
06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
(what are the small black buttons for)

all the best.markj

They are grommets, Wallace.

Your Old Dog
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Alistair, you near any of these places?

This url, on the left side of the page say "forth coming shows". Maybe you could get some answers there especially if you take a pic of your lathe with you.

http://www.startrite.co.uk/index.php?co=1&cswitch=1

Good luck old friend and if you can buy your way out of a jam then go for it. Lifes too short for fulling with modifications if you got loot to work with :D Power that baby up and get making some dust!

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I know it will have to be re-routed regarding the wiring ,as invertors don't like magnetic switches. Anway you'ld need to see it mark the design is ( for such a big company) pretty short term thought out.The spindle is not centred in the cabinet and is off to the side,as there is a big chunk of metal running all the way down like a cabinet within a cabinet protecting the complete front panel switch gear etc,so there is only room as said for mx 5 inches pulley and that means not slow enough .Actually they have put two pulleys top and two pulleys bottom spindle which are about the same all of them are virtually the same what's that about? no it is going to need an invertor. I have looked at it every way mark believe me.It is currently running at about 2000 or 2500 or above ,and that's it's slowest speed so when I put a big bowl blank on it's pretty frightening believe me.A daft design . I wish I could contact them but I have found startrite but when you try to contact them there is only options for other machinery not lathes it's as though they never made a lathe I have actually thought that perhaps it's not a startrite as it doen't actually say startrite on it but I bought it as a startrite. Don't get me wrong this is a fabulous lathe. When I get over this problem it's going to do me for the rest of my days it's really a super strong big lathe apart from these niggly points, I really like it everything else is superbly manufactured ..Anyway thanks so far mark and John and My pal Doggy off to bed now Alistair

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Startrite and record are owned by the same company but they don't really have anything to do with one another apart from that from what I can see YOD thanks.Alistair

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
pulleys are all the same ..as they are just designed to carry the power from the motor up to the spindle with no reduction or multiplication by the looks of things.

cheap and easy, no thought required from the designer

i bet those grommets are covering holes for the next model up (if there is one) the variespeed model.

all the best.markj

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Record have gone ..finished

two years ago ..
only the vices are now made, imported and labled as record and sold as record by another company.

EDIT
well i thought they had gone ..

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/?co=1&cswitch=1

all the best.markj

Ian B
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Alistair,

From your description of pulley sizes (all about 5") and a spindle speed of 2,500rpm, you have a 2,850 rpm 2 pole motor fitted. Easiest way to reduce this is to swap the motor for a 4 pole 1425 rpm motor, which will half the spindle speeds straight away.

If there's room for a 5" pulley on the spindle, and the spindle's not of a large diameter (which, not having a through hole, it probably isn't), then wouldn't a 3" / 4" / 5" stepped pulley fit on the spindle? Use a 2" / 3" / 4" stepped pulley on a 1425 rpm motor will give you speeds of 570 / 1070 / 1900 rpm, more useful than what you have at present.

Strange that there's no Startrite name on the lathe anywhere. Looking at the switchgear, the painted on model name and the oversized CE sticker, if I didn't know better, I'd almost think it was of Chinese origin...

Ian

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
i dont know anything about wood turning.........but i wouldnt want to plunge any tool (by hand) into anything going over 400 rpm never mind 570.

just found this here

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:jeWphZHY7okJ:www.ehow.com/about_4698262_wood-lathe-speeds.html+wood+turning+lathe+speeds&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Significance

<LI itxtvisited="1">Wood lathe speeds are changed to accommodate different types of woods, different types of cuts and different projects. It is also a safety parameter for safe wood turning. If you are just starting a new project, a slower speed is used to get the wood block balanced correctly. By the same token, if you have the wood centered, and want to make more progress on a project, you would use a higher speed.
Identification

<LI itxtvisited="1">Wood lathe speeds are formulaic. There are ratios used to determine the safe speed that depend on the size of the wood block. Size is measured in diameter. The larger the diameter, the slower the speed. For a 12 inch diameter project (a bowl or dish) the safe speed is about 500 RPM. For a smaller, 2 inch diameter chair leg, a speed of 2900 RPM is considered safe. Considerations

<LI itxtvisited="1">Use many different lathe speeds when working with a particular project. When you do this you will see that the tool cuts slightly differently and you can see and "feel" by using your sense of touch on the handle of the tool, how the wood reacts. A good speed will be one that produces a single curl of wood shaving when the tool is touched to the spindle. Use the safe speed charts as a guideline, but use your own judgment to determine where your control lies. If you make too many mistakes, slow the lathe speed down. When making difficult, precise cuts a slower speed is also better. Misconceptions

<LI itxtvisited="1">Faster lathe speeds do not always result in less control, and by the same token, slower speeds do not always increase the amount of control you have. The specific tools you use, and the method you use to brace them, both have a big impact on the control you have while cutting. If you use a larger bowl gouge, you will make deeper cuts and take off more wood as the spindle turns, so a slower speed is a good idea. This reduces the chance for mistakes. In addition, you may find that harder woods give you more control than softer pines, so turn hard woods a little faster and soft woods slower. It will also speed up your project and be less tiring. Function

When first setting up your project always use a slow speed. Turn the lathe at less than 500 rpm, or even slower if the project is larger than 8 inches wide. Adjust the block on the spindle until you can clearly see that it is centered. Now increase the speed to the proper level using your width guidelines. Apply your first cut by bracing the tool and touching it to the spindle, careful that the block corners are turning away from the blade. If the wood cuts evenly and produces a fine, long strand or curl of shavings, you are at a good speed. When the shavings break apart and get smaller, decrease or increase the speed until you produce better shavings.

all the best.markj

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Alistair,

From your description of pulley sizes (all about 5") and a spindle speed of 2,500rpm, you have a 2,850 rpm 2 pole motor fitted. Easiest way to reduce this is to swap the motor for a 4 pole 1425 rpm motor, which will half the spindle speeds straight away.

If there's room for a 5" pulley on the spindle, and the spindle's not of a large diameter (which, not having a through hole, it probably isn't), then wouldn't a 3" / 4" / 5" stepped pulley fit on the spindle? Use a 2" / 3" / 4" stepped pulley on a 1425 rpm motor will give you speeds of 570 / 1070 / 1900 rpm, more useful than what you have at present.

Strange that there's no Startrite name on the lathe anywhere. Looking at the switchgear, the painted on model name and the oversized CE sticker, if I didn't know better, I'd almost think it was of Chinese origin...

Ian

looking at the name of the lathe t-1500......i bet that it had a top speed of 1500 and someones swapped the motor ..when it burnt out for the wrong one.

Alistair Hosie
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Mark you are a man for guessing at things wildly :D:D .Well the fifteen hundred is probably the space between tailstock and headstock in mm.Please believe me the motor has not been swapped out or burned out the lathe is as new and is startrite.The speed of the motor is 2800 spot on Mark despite what you say it is easy to do woodturning at these speeds no problem But the difficulty is when starting off with an out of true blank this causes massive vibration and even large lathes will try to walk across the room so you need a very slow speed around 600 or less to true up the blank then the speed can be increased even beyond 2500.that's a fact.I have been woodturning nigh on fifteen years or more.Startrite is still in operation and sell many machines this will be sorted when I contact them eventually Thanks anyway all of you .Alistair

Alistair Hosie
06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Well I checked it is made in the UK.In 2002, Bronwen tells me I have had it actually over three years, and the woodworking firm I bought it from did not use it much so it is as new , and definitely startrite I am sure.The company that sold it to me are avery honourable well established company and would not sell it as startrite if it were not.So to recap as said it says made in the UK on it perhaps it says startrite but I cannot find it.Alistair ps thanks anyway

Alistair Hosie
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
At last I found an email address for startrite and have sent them an email will let you know if they respond.Alistair see here

http://startrite.com/contact.php?site_section_id=1#

Alistair Hosie
06-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Well I have written to Startrite and sent them some photographs they say it's not one of their machines but I think maybe their guy is wrong. I dont know of any others that have no hole through the spindle other than record Startrite anyone else know or have any ideas please let me know it's made in UK that's stamped on it.Alistair

John Stevenson
06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Mark you are a man for guessing at things wildly :D:D .Well the fifteen hundred is probably the space between tailstock and headstock in mm.Please believe me the motor has not been swapped out or burned out the lathe is as new and is startrite.The speed of the motor is 2800 spot on Mark despite what you say it is easy to do woodturning at these speeds no problem But the difficulty is when starting off with an out of true blank this causes massive vibration and even large lathes will try to walk across the room so you need a very slow speed around 600 or less to true up the blank then the speed can be increased even beyond 2500.that's a fact.I have been woodturning nigh on fifteen years or more.Startrite is still in operation and sell many machines this will be sorted when I contact them eventually Thanks anyway all of you .Alistair

We could run our Italian copy lathes at 7,500 on small 2" spindles.
You can tell a professional wood turning shop, they have the florry essence lights in cages in the roof :D

aboard_epsilon
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
first of all where does it say startrite on it ?

and how about a close up shot of that ce sticker .

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
06-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes John small stuff no probs but try that with an unwieldy bowl blank weighing 50pounds plus and about 14 inches across it has to be slow for a start off till it's balanced itself then you can let rip no problem. Alistair

aboard_epsilon
06-26-2009, 04:30 PM
there'[s only one lathe on the net with a name t-1500 and it's italian mvm

copy version shown here ..the tailstock looks similar

http://www.exfactory.com/seePhoto.aspx?showall=yes&recnum=LC%2D010636

Alistair Hosie
06-27-2009, 04:21 AM
theres also this.Alistair

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/modell%201500T.htm

Alistair Hosie
06-27-2009, 07:25 AM
IO have apicture which I googled of a centaura italian cop lathe which has the SIMILAR end stand as mine so now I am thinking it is a centaura and will take it from there I dont know how to post pics of the one on google but here it is http://www.exfactory.com/SeePhoto.aspx?recnum=LC%2D010600&picNo=01
this is much older and smaller than mine but I bet they do a t 1500 the do a t 1600 SO POSSIBLY THE DID A T 1500 AT SOME TIME i WILL WRITE TO THEM thanks mark you have been a great help Alistair