PDA

View Full Version : Survey of shop time and others

rockrat
06-23-2009, 08:50 AM
After another nearly sleepless night, I started wondering about (what else do you do when not sleeping?) the time available for us in our shops. Every once in a while this topic comes up and there are some responses posted here. But I dont think that anyone has added up the results.

Since the insomnia had me up, I thought that I would see if there is a site that allows one to build a survey page. And just leave it up to the web to not only have one place to do this, but many different places to do it.

This has no affiliation with HSM or the publisher. Nor do I sell the results and become rich. I was just a bit curious and thought it might be of interest.

Here is a little survey I put together if your into such things. You can only fill it out once so if you go back later it will tell you that you already filled it out previously.
http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/survey.dll/BACCA1625D9045F7948CA22D6F9F8D1A

And the results are here - http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/survey_cpl.dll/SurveyReport?id=BACCA1625D9045F7948CA22D6F9F8D1A

I added two other questions that are also sometimes asked here.

rock~

John Stevenson
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
So where's the question on the best way to knurl ?

rockrat
06-23-2009, 09:48 AM
So where's the question on the best way to knurl ?

No two answers would be the same, a statistician's nightmare. :)

rock~

vincemulhollon
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I added two other questions that are also sometimes asked here.

Should ask how much we spend. You know how this works guys, everyone get together and answer some multiple of what you actually spend, then show the wife the overall results and wait for shower of compliments at your comparative stingyness or suggest some purchases are appropriate to "catch up" with the gang. We all sink or swim together guys so we all enter the "correct" answer right?

Carld
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, it was short and sweet but not complete. Should have had a few more questions but that's a matter of opinion.

ptjw7uk
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Never mind the 'what would you buy next', what about 'get some extra space'

Peter

Evan
06-23-2009, 04:43 PM
So I can't be accused of stealing RRs idea I suggest that Rock do another two surveys. The first will be a new thread to ask what questions should be on the next survey. Then Rock puts all those suggestions on a survey and askes "Should this question be on the next survey? Pick no more than ten."

Then he puts the top ten questions on a new survery and we answer it.

John Stevenson
06-23-2009, 05:09 PM
As long as we have the knurling one :D

lazlo
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
As long as we have the knurling one :D

Or collets versus endmill holders.

Your Old Dog
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
John, if you need help with knurling you come to the right place!

Willy
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Or collets versus endmill holders.

Don't forget way oil vs. whatever.:D

tattoomike68
06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
I want a small plasma and a tig. then I can cut and weld almost anything.

My shop is so piled with un wanted junk I just walk out there and say screw it. I have lots of tools if I can get some climbing gear on and navigate the heaps of my womans junk.

I find I need 3 sheds now. one for the womans stuff(dump run if you ask me), one for yard equipment(mower,weedeater, rakes, shovels,,,)
one for me, beer fridge, couch, stereo, tools and more tools

Right now there is no point in cleaning the shop, it amounts to moving one $hitheap to another $hit heap and I gain nothing, I need to haul things away. (scrap,dump,give away,,)

I also have a motor home blocking my driveway all the time, I told the old lady its not going to stay I want to sell it and buy a nice motorcycle that eats up less space. :D

aboard_epsilon
06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
shear brake only any good, if you have the welder first .. :)

all the best.markj

tattoomike68
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
shear brake only any good, if you have the welder first .. :)

all the best.markj

screws and rivets are easy to use but the cost adds up over a few spot welds real fast.

it depends on what you do like always.

Frank Ford
06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Last week I was talking to my old pal, Don MacRostie, who is a full time tool and product designer for a guitar making tool supplier. He also has a home shop where he makes mandolins in his spare time, and we often trade stories about how much time we spend in our shops.

I told him I'd recently installed an hour meter on my shop's light circuit so I could tell exactly how much time I spend there. He admitted having done the same thing years ago.

Turns out I average about 18 hours a week after three months of recording. Even at 65, retirement isn't in the cards for me, so I couldn't check the bottom box of the survey - I'll still work full time.

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Shop/FFShop/hourmeter.jpg

rockrat
06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
So I can't be accused of stealing RRs idea I suggest that Rock do another two surveys. The first will be a new thread to ask what questions should be on the next survey. Then Rock puts all those suggestions on a survey and askes "Should this question be on the next survey? Pick no more than ten."

Then he puts the top ten questions on a new survery and we answer it.

Nice idea Evan. I might just do that. A survey for a survey.

We may have a few survey threads floating around here shortly. I was thinking that maybe I should have posted this one on Friday so that it would get the weekend crowd.

As long as we have the knurling one

Knurl, knurl, knurl.

John, were you scolded for a bad knurl as a kid? Repressed memories of the thrashing that came from it? You aren't one of those that will take a needle and clean out all of the knurls groves are you? We could send you some help if you like. :) A wee dram of whisky might put your mind at ease on the topic. Or we could send over for you one of these nut job shrinks that are on our tv programs telling us how we are all doing things wrong. Personally I would suggest the whisky.

Although, maybe I'll add it in on the next one.
Cheers~
rock~

Stats as of Jun 24, '09 8:30am (-5 GMT),
Click for direct currnet webpage stats.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/survey.jpg (http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/survey_cpl.dll/SurveyReport?id=BACCA1625D9045F7948CA22D6F9F8D1A)

Evan
06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I did a survey here years ago and it would be very interesting to see if the demographics have changed.

Here is what I found about the ages of the respondents. I think it was 2004 or so. The median age then was 50 years old.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/agebydecade.gif

http://ixian.ca/pics6/agebyyear.gif

Evan
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Or we could send over for you one of these nut job shrinks that are on our tv programs telling us how we are all doing things wrong.

Those actors on TV are doing a good job. :rolleyes: :D We have a "real" one that lives in the valley here. She is a former customer of mine. Without saying too much she has a former pet dog stuffed and mounted for the living room....

lazlo
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I did a survey here years ago and it would be very interesting to see if the demographics have changed.

Yeah, no kidding -- I'm 42 and have two young children. I'm lucky if I get 4 - 8 hours a week in the shop.

rockrat
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Without saying too much she has a former pet dog stuffed and mounted for the living room....

Interesting. I like my dog but I dont know if I like her that much.

Hum... compare shop time to number of children v/s shop time to number of mistresses.

Not that I would know anything about that.
rock~

lazlo
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Hum... compare shop time to number of children v/s shop time to number of mistresses.

Now that would be a very interesting survey ;)

Cheeseking
06-25-2009, 01:24 AM
How about Hrs spent on this board jawing about our shops vs time actually spent in them.
My shop to HSM ratio is probably at 1:2:o

Evan
06-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Some people comment from time to time about how much work I seem able to do on projects. One reason is that I do not have an internet capable computer in any of my shop spaces. In fact the only computer in my shops is the one that runs my CNC mill and that is all it does.

John Stevenson
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Now a mistress I CAN understand, get planning permission to get one [ if possible ] and when you are missing the wife thinks you are with the mistress and the mistress thinks you are with the wife.

Result shop time doubles...........

lane
06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
My mistress is my shop. And the wife knows it, and fully understands .She say`s at least I know you aren`t out drinking and carousing around.

rockrat
06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Bumpity bump bump

OldRedFord
06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Im in a unique situation I think. I am currently looking for a job, and I have a lot of time I could spend in the shop.

Catch 22 is....sooo much time, and so little money. :eek: