PDA

View Full Version : So what have I bought ?

John Stevenson
06-25-2009, 04:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290325267010

Anyone recognise this model ?
All the torches I have seen are called WP17, WP18, WP26 etc

Can't find a rating for a TW series.

Well it was cheap enough..........................

rode2rouen
06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Hard to say for certain, but it looks to be an 18 size torch.
By the looks of the handle it may (or may not) have a gas valve on the torch.
Let us know when you get it.

Edit: Looking at the pic again, maybe it has an arc start switch.

Rex

John Stevenson
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes looks like an arc start switch but not bothered about that as the welder has a foot latching switch which I prefer as i can swap torches of different layouts and nt have to worry if some are arc switched or gas switched.

More interested in the rating of it, my 200 amp one has developed a crack what tracks when in confined spaces and it's only an air cooled one. Water cooled would be nice for the heavier work.

Have to wait and see when it gets here.

rotate
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
John, I've bought a very similar water cooled TIG torch from e-bay last year, but haven't used it because I don't have the corresponding connectors. I'm guessing that they are standard. Would you know what they are called or what their specs are? Thanks.

doctor demo
06-26-2009, 02:33 AM
John, that looks like one of the torches I have at work. I'll check in the morning and post My findings when I get home in the afternoon.

Steve

John Stevenson
06-26-2009, 05:08 AM
John, I've bought a very similar water cooled TIG torch from e-bay last year, but haven't used it because I don't have the corresponding connectors. I'm guessing that they are standard. Would you know what they are called or what their specs are? Thanks.
Rotate,
No idea, they seem to dream up their own.
many are based round BSP pipe thread, usually 1/4" or 3/8"
I'm guessing the one I have bought has the gas and power to the large connection, that also looks 3/8" gas to me but opposite to what's on my machine.
Possibly why no one bid on it ? However that's no problem to me and shouldn't be to many members of this group as it's only an adaptor.

On my welder the gas and power are / were separate connectors, so I fitted the gas up with an insulated connector and now have a copper bar link in between so it can run separate power gas torches and combined.

Thanks Steve.

doctor demo
06-26-2009, 11:22 PM
On my welder the gas and power are / were separate connectors, so I fitted the gas up with an insulated connector and now have a copper bar link in between so it can run separate power gas torches and combined.

John, on the torches at work; one is a Linde HW-25. Flex head.
The other torch at work is a Linde HW-18 : looks alot like Your pic.
The 18 and the 25 and My torch at home all have the same fittings.
My torch at home is a Weldcraft wp-20.
Power and water 7/8'' 14tpi left hand
Water 5/8'' 18 tpi left hand
Gas 5/8'' 18 tpi. right hand

John, Just a friendly reminder ; check befor You hook up to the machine. The power lead has allways been in the water hose in every torch I have seen, and is a fairly light wire.....so if You pour the amps to it without water it will fry the wire:eek: .

Steve

macona
06-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Looks like a #20 size torch to me. 200-250 amps water cooled.

Do not run without water cooling. A couple things can happen. If it has vinyl hoses it will melt the hoses. The wire that runs down the hose is about 8 gauge and cant handle much current without water running over it. If its rubber it will run till the hose smokes or the wire burns out. Seen all of it...

Save your hoses with one of these:

http://www.ckworldwide.com/fuse_block.htm

John Stevenson
06-27-2009, 07:07 PM
So looking at the pic of the torch I have bought, shown below to save clicking on an ebay link.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/tig_torch.jpg

I'm guessing that the lathe male connector is the power and water in? The male one to the left is water out and the female one is gas ?

So what stops the water becoming live if the large connector is connected to the TiG power ?

John Stevenson
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Update,
Torch arrived this morning, well packed brand new.
Clearly marked on the head is WT 18 so it's the lighter weight series.
Water in is by the large connector which is also LH thread, water out is by the other male connector and gas in is by a standard 1/4" BSP nut .

As it stands I won't bother with this at this time due to having to make unions and get water or a pumped system to the shop.
If it had been the 26 series then yes it would have been worth it.

Still worth it for what I paid, some you win, some you loose.

macona
06-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Nothing light weight about a 18 series tig torch. They are 350 amp torches.

The end connections are standard fittings and any decent welding supply shop should have what you need. The main thing you will need is this:

http://www.welding-direct.com/45powcabad1.html

John Stevenson
06-30-2009, 04:52 AM
Bril, didn't look heavy enough.
So last question is if the water is connected to the live what stops the water system becoming live ?

Mcostello
06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Boy isn't that a head scratcher! Hate to see a bad ground and the wife on the loo.

macona
07-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Bril??? Who's that?

Low voltage ac or dc wont get far. Unless you have water so hard that rocks fall out of your faucet! One end to a garden hose, other to a drain and you are good to go.

There can be a slight loss in hf intensity if using tap water but nothing major.

John Stevenson
07-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Bril = brilliant

I was thinking more about a tank, pump and radiator, piped water is a distance away over a concrete yard and I loose water for odd times in winter.

macona
07-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Aww, should have known...

A pump out of a water carbonator is what they use in commercial units. But set to 50 PSI. The ones in carbonators are set somewhere around 100 PSI. These pumps will heat the water up quite a bit so you will need that radiator. A heater core would be fine. Or one of the small radiators that are used to water cool computers. Anywhere from 1 to 3 gallons of water will do.

John Stevenson
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
What have I bought - well whatever it's now two of them :rolleyes:

Came in from work tonight and got an email from Ebay saying you have won this auction??

What auction? I'm not bidding on anything.

Turns out I use a program called Auction sentry, not so much as a sniping program, more as a stop me missing something when I'm busy in the shop.

I had puts bits on two more TiG torches and forgot the take them off when I won the first.

So is this one any better ? :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290325832408

macona
07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Now that one is a 20 series torch. Good for about 250amps. Smaller and easier to hold. Its what I use.

Never seen that connection on there. Know anyone with a lathe to make one?

doctor demo
07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
John are You opening up a welding shop, or is Russ moving to Your side of the pond?

Steve

JoeFin
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi John

If your thinking of building a coolant tank

My welder is set up for running 350amp water cooled tourches and the water tank is about 30+ gallons (you'll have to convert that) with geared pump much like you would find in the oil pan of your car. It runs @ 60psi and uses water soluable coolant (to keep the pump alive). It also has a flow switch wired in that will time out and shut off the welder should I lose flow during a weld.

If your thinking of building a coolant tank I'll look a little closer and see where and how they wired it in.

One question on your tourch - How easy is it to get consumables for it?

I have a CK tourch that I had to replace with a WeldCraft because of the availablity of replacement consumables. Great tourch (felt like a wet noodle) - just nobody stocks the parts

macona
07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Unless one you had one of CK's Airco replacement torches you should of had no problem getting parts as they use the same parts as weldcraft. Almost all tig torches are interchangeable.

JoeFin
07-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Unless one you had one of CK's Airco replacement torches you should of had no problem getting parts as they use the same parts as weldcraft. Almost all tig torches are interchangeable.

I tried a few different sized cups and collets (WC-18, 17) and they were not even close