PDA

View Full Version : my new/old bridgeport

Dave Smith
06-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I got my bridgeport into my shop yesterday 1hp 3ph step pulley, the head was inverted for transport. what do I need to do to turn head up and setup for use. for ashort time I'll be using a static conv. any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

quadrod
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM
When you can get a VFD. That will give you some speed variation.

Ryobiguy
06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Congrats. Here's a bridgeport manual: http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Bridgeport/ops-maintenance-manual.pdf

-Matt

Roy Andrews
06-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I got my bridgeport into my shop yesterday 1hp 3ph step pulley, the head was inverted for transport. what do I need to do to turn head up and setup for use. for ashort time I'll be using a static conv. any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

didn't happen without pictures.

gunbuilder
06-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Check the oil. It may have drained out all over the table when the head was tipped.

Right, guys? I have not had a bridgeport, so i can't say for sure.

Thanks,
Paul

lakeside53
07-01-2009, 01:12 AM
In theory there is no oil to drain out,... but.... sometimes residual oil in the bull gear casing can drain out and get on the brake pads.

Metalmelter
07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
There really is nothing much to it. On the front of the head are four 3/4" nuts which are used to lock down the head. Loosen them slightly. Looking at the head again on the right side is a 3/4" bolt at a slight angle which rotates a worm gear and that rotates the head. I would definitely assist lifting the head with one hand and use a socket/ratchet with the other. It works good and wont stress the worm gear.

Oil will have drained out of the oil cups for sure. No big deal. Use the proper oil to refill it. The cups go to an oil wick for the spindle and such. The brakes should not give you a problem either but if they do you'll have to tear it apart a bit for a good cleaning.

The post above for the manual is good - read it over:)

I got another BP this weekend and will go through another tear down, cleaning and repainting. If your interested have a look here to see what's involved and to get a good look into what the internals of your machine look like and do ;)

http://www.metalmelter.com/makeovers/bridgeport/index.html

Good luck with it!!!