PDA

View Full Version : computer chair

aostling
06-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I spend hours every day at my computer. I'm getting a sore butt from the swivel chair I have now, which has lost all resiliency on the seat. I presume it is open-cell foam, which seems worthless as a cushion material.

I think what I'm looking for is an "executive" chair, perhaps leather upholstered. A store here had a nice one but it was $900, twice what I want to pay.

What do you recommend?

barts
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Take a look at used commercial furniture.... you can often get very good deals on used stuff from companies that have collapsed.

- Bart

Jim Shaper
06-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I got a nice fabric one with comfy foam from office depot for about $160, but that was 4 years ago.

Keeping an eye out for CL listings or local used furniture outfits might yield you a higher end one. I know there's a place here in the cities who specializes in used office wares.

Walter
06-30-2009, 01:45 AM
I got my leather exec chair several years ago at Big Lots. it's well built, well padded and has stood up to my fat arse and the kids as well. $99.00.

Jim Shaper
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/363821/Raynor-Miranda-Multifunction-High-Back-Chair/

Here's the one I have.

sch
06-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Aeron chairs from Herman Miller are extremely comfortable. Somewhat
pricey but not when compared with 'leather'. These are readily available
on the web, and a web deal might help chisel your local high price office
furniture dealer down a bit. Hospital I was once at bought them for all
the ward secretaries, who sit all day. They were very pleased with the
chairs.

John Stevenson
06-30-2009, 04:41 AM
How about this one?

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/thronerm.jpg

DaHui
06-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I'll second the Aeron chair from Herman Miller. The original one. The new wierd ones aren't as comfortable. They are worth every penny and readily available on ebay for around $450...about half of the "new" price. It doesn't look like much but it's adjustable and supportive in all the right ways.

I fractured a couple of vertebrae many years ago and I have trouble sitting at the computer for any length of time; which is unfortunate since I do a lot of graphics and solid modeling work. One day I decided to drop some change on an Aeron chair and now I can chain myself to my desk until the carpal tunnel takes over.

Mcgyver
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Aeron chairs from Herman Miller are extremely comfortable.

they are the best, look for craiglist & used to take the sting out of the price. more than anybody really wants to pay for a chair, but once you have one you'll not give it up.

imo their weave is much better than leather in that the leather won't breath, the weave is much cooler.

john hobdeclipe
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Ditto ditto ditto the Herman Miller "Aeron."

I loved ours until my wife started working from home full time...now I never get to sit in it.

mayfieldtm
06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I have not tried it, but, use one of those Magic Foam Pillows for a Cushion.
Should form fit very nicely around all of those delicate curves of the Buttocks.
( Unless your a Lard A$$! )
Relieving one of all the Daily Pressures and Stress of a hard working machinist.
Grab some Beers and a BigUn's Magizine. Tell your customers to go fly a kite.
Let the ectoplasm of life flow and soothe the inner self and wash away all your worries.

Tom M.

Arcane
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Just don't get one of these chairs...
http://gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes

johnl
06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
How about any good cushion and throw it in the existing chair
Johnl

Alistair Hosie
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Sir JOHN I love the lavchair just what my son could do with he would be on it permanently Well spotted.:D:D:DAlistair

John Stevenson
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Just what any executive wants if he's got PILES of money. :rolleyes:

Alistair Hosie
06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
you mean rolls of paper money.surely your not suggesting we wipe our a$$es on the queen's face? :DAlistair

aostling
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
How about any good cushion and throw it in the existing chair
Johnl

I've not been able to find a good cushion in the stores here. Almost all of them are open-cell foam which compresses as much as the original cushion in my bad chair. I got a 1.5"-thick Hot Dog cushion at Target which appears to be memory foam and is better than open-cell, but not by much.

John Stevenson
06-30-2009, 06:47 PM
So is open cell foam the same as memory foam but with a bad memory ?

Sorry. I'll get me coat.

johnl
06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Go to an upholstery place or a place that sell upholstery supplies. There are many different weights or densities of foam. Get a heavy piece. You could also check packaging supply companies for some closed cell foam. Very good stuff. Maybe a G I closed cell sleeping bag pad. Cut it up. Lets face it, some of us my have big asses, but they are boney and nothing we sit on will work for very long.
Johnl