PDA

View Full Version : Reversing switch to Craftsman motor

budedm
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a craftsman 1/2 hp reversing motor, 110v, single phase, that I need to put a Dayton reversing drum switch on. When I google for info, all I get is Dayton Motors. There is no digram on the motor because it is very old (1955). I do know what 2 leads are to the motor and what 2 leads are for forward & reverse. There are 4 leads total coming out of the motor. On the motor it says "For reversing, interchange yellow leads". Ok, I understand that, but don't understand what terminals on the switch to hook the yellow wires to so that the switch will do the interchanging for me. Here is a diagram of the switch.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/roydelburg/atlas%20lathe/motor%20wiring/001.jpg

Can anybody help?

Bob Ford
06-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Line 1/or hot of the incoming power goes to #2. Line 2/or neutral of the incoming power goes to motor run winding. Other side of motor run winding goes to #6. Start winding goes to #3 and #4. If the motor runs the wrong direction interchange #3 and #4.

Bob

Barrington
07-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Bob - are you sure it's an 'inductive repulsion' motor ? I would have thought it much more likely to be a split phase (top right diagram).

If actually split phase and wired as IR then no harm done - just very low on power.

For split phase the "two leads to the motor" would be connected to 1 and 5, and the "yellow leads" to 3 and 4.

Cheers

Bob Ford
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Barrinton

You are right most likely it is a split phase. Should never answer when I am half asleep.
Bob