PDA

View Full Version : Fan forced incinerator

wbleeker
07-03-2009, 02:57 AM
As an extra to my post on shredding plastic I am thinking of a fan forced ,clean burning incinerator for burning food contaminated paper. What I am thinking of would be fan forced to eliminate ventilation problems burning paper and have some sort of system to recirculate the ash, to produce a clean burn, also it would have to be fully enclosed to allow use in bushfire periods.
Any ideas?
Will

2ManyHobbies
07-03-2009, 07:01 AM
What size, and how do you define clean burning?

You will still have ash of some sort, and barring a very high volume with some finely controlled input, you will also need to continually spend money on an ignition source (natural gas, electric, fuel oil, etc). The only way I see you getting close to break-even on this would be if you were using the heat from the process to run ovens or something. Depending on your inputs (inks, dyes, etc), you may also have some interesting pollution control issues.

On the other hand, you may have something that could be efficiently composted or a material that could be passed off to a composter for the purpose of balance. Many use sawdust, but under the right conditions, shredded paper may suffice.

hawgwrench
07-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Try doing a google search for home-type wood burning stoves/heaters and check out the catalytic type now being used. I think thats what your going for,just maybe on a larger scale.

Dawai
07-03-2009, 09:19 AM
A hair drier hooked to a piece of steel pipe about ten feet long, inserted into the lower section of a barrel, some piled in hardwood and "anything" you want to incinerate will go into ash.

We normally start our hardwood fired barbeque grille with a hair drier. Most the times I light it with all the "pre approved credit card apps".

MickeyD
07-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Be careful lighting fires for cooking (and even your fireplace) with paper now. Our safety conscious friends from the East produce a lot of the inks and papers that go into junk mail (some is even printed there and shipped here for mailing), so you have a good chance with heavy metals, pcb, and other unsavory compounds getting into your food or house.

Swarf&Sparks
07-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Wbleeker, I see you're in Oz and that you mention food contaminated paper. I presume this means waste from some catering business and that the paper passes Oz standards for food handling, therefore no toxic inks, vegetable inks at worst?

As long as you have adequately screened flue/spark arrester, I can't see any issues with it.

FWIW, the cheap "pistol" hair dryers use the heating element in series with a small motor, just to limit current.
Throw away the heater wire and connect 12V direct to the motor, you have a great fire-starter/blower. They're available for a buck or 2 at the discount stores. I keep one in the 4x4 along with a baby propane torch, you can make a fire with damn near anything :D

Dawai
07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
so you have a good chance with heavy metals, pcb, and other unsavory compounds getting into your food or house.
Along with diesel exhaust, auto exhaust, cigarette smoke with additives, Coffee with the quick roast process, decaffinated coffee, petroleum oils in cooking oils, and the list goes on..

Sometimes worrying about things is worst than the thing.

I use a old wood stove with a aluminum COOKER top lid from a old propane barbeque grille, this has a rusty piece of expanded metal with angle iron cross pieces under it.. it all heats till black and shiny before I add meat to the grille. Somebody said.. you don't actually eat anything off that do you.. then I showed them the pictures of the food all browned and golden. I was at one construction job and they were cooking on galvanized grate.. I refused to eat any of the food.. even I have standards.
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2632/118/114/1052243483/n1052243483_30330009_463592.jpg
I seem to recall a special forces bud eating grasshoppers and other field critters on a job cause he didn't want to leave the jobsite.. he was sleeping in the bushes and living in his clothes.. He had two dozen uncashed checks in his wallet. He could cook on a flat rock. He was Vietnam gone crazy. He will outlive all of us probably.

Jim Shaper
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
If you have any need for heat - using an exterior mounted boiler would be a good way to eliminate your bottles and paper waste.

This assumes you can't get paid for them as scrap without undue processing before hand.

http://www.centralboiler.com/models.php

Timo
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a BurnRight incinerator to get rid of paper, cardboard, leaves, wood and etc. it's their 40 gal. size. Works great.

wierdscience
07-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Not meaning to be a wet blanket,but here it has to be an EPA approved unit or it's big trouble $$$$.All that's needed is one complaining neighbor and the party is over.

CCWKen
07-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Not meaning to be a wet blanket,but here it has to be an EPA approved unit or it's big trouble $$$$.All that's needed is one complaining neighbor and the party is over.

It probably has more to do with the state/city than EPA. Here in Texas, waste-oil heaters are illegal. But you can burn paper and rubbish. Our area (several counties) has been under a "burn ban" for the last two years due to the drought. We can still burn in a barrel though. I've got piles of tree branches all over the property waiting for the ban to be lifted. They will as soon as we get some measurable rain. :( That or you can make a "donation" to the VFD and have them come out and baby-sit the fire.

wierdscience
07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
It probably has more to do with the state/city than EPA. Here in Texas, waste-oil heaters are illegal. But you can burn paper and rubbish. Our area (several counties) has been under a "burn ban" for the last two years due to the drought. We can still burn in a barrel though. I've got piles of tree branches all over the property waiting for the ban to be lifted. They will as soon as we get some measurable rain. :( That or you can make a "donation" to the VFD and have them come out and baby-sit the fire.

You can pretty well do what you want as an individual within reason.But a business will draw attention.All incinerators fall under EPA jurisdiction thanks to the clean air act.If the incinerator doesn't carry an approved design it's in violation.

Same thing applies to smelters,personally I can melt as much metal as I want,but as soon as I go in business in comes the DEQ followed by the FEDs.

BTW,I still have a block or two of wood to send you,if I can ever get off my butt and mail it,old age is overrated and I'm not even there yet:o