PDA

View Full Version : Digital Indicator with magnetic back

Steelmaster
07-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I purchased a digital "dial" indicator yesterday. I have a couple of magnetic backs for the analog dial indicators (purchased from CDCO) and they appear to fit the digital one as well.

My question is, would the magnet upset the electronics in these things?

I find the magnetic mounts very handy as they can be mounted in a convenient place on either the lathe or the mill.

oldtiffie
07-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I'd be surprised if that happened - for the simple reason that when-ever I've had them in close proximity to each other, I didn't notice anything amiss - during or after.

Steelmaster
07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I'd be surprised if that happened - for the simple reason that when-ever I've had them in close proximity to each other, I didn't notice anything amiss - during or after.

Hmm, tend to agree with you and did try it out on one of my digital calipers with no ill effect.

Asked a mate and he tried it on his digital indicator with a string rare earth magnet, again no ill effects.

Finally put it on mine and it seems to work fine.

Got an answer back to an email I sent to the supplier this morning:

Under no circumstances get the electronic indicator near the magnets.

The unit would permanently damaged.

So, go figure, would be nice if a technical reason was given.

oldtiffie
07-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I've got quite a few digital tools - some very expensive - and I have had no indication of problems due to the proximity of magnets - although I try, but don't always succeed in separating them. Same applies to the "cheap(er)" stuff - well so far anyway.

If I were a supplier, I guess that the reply you got would be my default position as well - for obvious reasons.

speedy
07-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Perhaps it has more to do with attracting cr*p to the measuring surfaces?? G'night all (scratches nuts and stumbles off to the sack)