PDA

View Full Version : tank/tub ideas needed

snowman
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
My current "project" is my new dog room. In this room, I want a tub for bathing the dogs. The last hospital I worked at had this really cool stainless tub, say, 24" x 48" by 20" deep. I've been looking, but haven't found one to scavenge.

So, I need to make one....on the cheap, and by on the cheap, I mean as cheap as possible.

The ideas I've got right now would include building a plywood box, then glassing it. Or building a plywood box and laminating it with acrylic sheet or ABS sheet (whichever is cheaper)...using a silicone sealer at the corners.

Any ideas?

tattoomike68
07-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Cheapo is a hot water tank cut in half lengthwise from a scrap yard.

Otherwise a water trough from a farm supply store.

Fasttrack
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I vote for glassing a plywood box, just because I want to know how well it works... I thought about doing that for a fountain.

:)

yf
07-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Try a mortar pan from your local home center.

tony ennis
07-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I think our tube is a part washer. It's plastic. It did crack, however - i think the wife dropped something heavy in it. We only have 2 big dogs left now and both are old. When they are gone we'll probably remove it entirely.

kendall
07-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Why not scan CL for a free mobile home tub? Most of them are fiberglass and a few inches shorter each way than a regular houshold tub.
Don't get the satisfaction of building it yourself, but it's cheap.

Ken.

BigBoy1
07-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Why not scan CL for a free mobile home tub? Most of them are fiberglass and a few inches shorter each way than a regular houshold tub.
Don't get the satisfaction of building it yourself, but it's cheap.

Ken.

My ex-wife ran a dog kennal and I was the "handyman" for it. She wanted a dog washing tub. I went to a house demolition project and talked to the foreman. He said that I could have the bathroom tub if I hauled it away, which I promptly did. It was a heavy cast iron tub but it was free. I opted for a procelain coated tub so that it didn't have any rough edges. With some dogs hating bathing, I didn't want any rough edges, fiberglass or woood splinters being around to cause any injuries to the dogs. (Vet bills are already high.) I built a frame from cinder blocks to raise the tub to a comfortable working height so the dogs could be bathed while standing and not bent over a normal height bathroom tub. Being cast iron, its weight made is very stable and even large dogs (100+ lbs.) could not make it wiggle. Plumbing was not difficult as it was raised. I installed a very fine strainer basket to prevent the dog hair from getting into the regular waste water system. Just below the fine strainer I installed a ball valve to retain the water in the tub. The tub line was then run to a floor drain. I installed a nylon stocking of the end of the line as a further dog hair trap. Worked extremely well.

snowman
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I think I've decided to use FRP's. I will build the tank out of plywood, then laminate it with fiberglass reinforced panels, using all of their fancy mouldings so that it looks nice and such. For what it costs (35 for a 4x8 sheet), it seems to be the cheapest option, and pretty durable, from what I've noted in car washes and bathrooms.

Anybody have any experience with the stuff?

Jim Shaper
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
FRP's won't hold up. I'm currently down to the studs in a bathroom that had them and the panels cracked where heat/expansion caused the panel to pull at it's glue joints (lasted 6 years - on walls that were merely washed). Unless you use contact cement, the base of your pan is going to be shot in no time.

I'd go for the preformed shower basin as you could easily drain it. Or a feed trough at your local farm supply. There's also the water-feature pans at homie D's which might work pretty slick, but those don't tend to be all that rigid.

Evan
08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
There is a good reason that vets use stainless steel tables and tubs. It's not just for hygiene but because a dog with no traction is much easier to control.

Fasttrack
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Back when I worked on a hog farm, the buildings had what we called "milk board" in them. It was solid plastic sheet, about 3/8" thick and very durable. It couldn't have been too expensive as it formed the walls in some of the buildings.

Hmm... well maybe not so cheap:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_building_material-ft1_polymax_wall_4;pg106835.html