PDA

View Full Version : Attaching things to Drill Press table?

Boucher
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
My Rockwell drill press table has a few drill points in it as a result of its trade school shop history. It does not have any good way of clamping things down. I think I would like to drill and tap some ½ holes. Does anyone have any suggestions re this?

Scishopguy
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Byron...If your table has slots through it you might want to get a couple of those "half vice grip" style clamps that harbor fart sells. They have a threaded stud on the back side, with the stationary jaw removed, and a nut that holds them to the table. They come in two sizes and do a pretty nice job. They adjust quickly (like vice grips are famous for) and slide along the slots to where you need them. I think I paid $5 for the large one and about $3 for the smaller one.

Kant Twist makes a high dollar one for mills and use in fixtures too. They were very quick to adjust but took up a lot more space. They cost about $20 each.

Good luck with it!

Quetico Bob
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
My Rockwell drill press table has a few drill points in it as a result of its trade school shop history

My table is full of them as well. My Uncle had a good solution to this. With small letter stamps put the words “OIL HERE” about them.

Second Scishopguy idea.

Cheers, Bob
VA3BBY

Carld
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
If you don't have T slots in the table then you can use large deep throat C clamps to hold work or a vise on the table.

If you don't mind the holes in the table you can drill them in a pattern and use toggle clamps to hold work or a vise down. Google toggle clamps. You can mount the toggle clamp on a flat bar and slot it so you can move the clamp where you want it.

MickeyD
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
One of the most useful things that you can put on a drill press is a XY table. Sort of like a mill that you can only drill with, it converts it from fairly crude positioning to being able to easily adjust where you are going to put a hole, plus you get T-slots that you can use to hold the workpiece down with. The only real downside is that they are heavy and good ones are expensive unless you get lucky.

Frank Ford
07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I'll second that recommendation for the X-Y table. Don't waste your money on those cheap hundred buck ones - they have right hand screws, so they work backwards, and that's a royal pain. A better quality one will have less slop, too.

I replaced my cheesy one with the Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/X-Y-Cross-Table/H7659

And, with a 6" cam-action vise plopped on top, I have a rig that works really well for me. Because my work tends to be smallish, it has been a couple of years since I've needed to take the vise/table combo off the drill press table. I simply clamp a heavy wood plate in the vise to work on a small flat table when I want extra clearance.

Another good alternative to drilling lots of holes in your table is to make a fixture plate from a thick hunk of steel or aluminum. You can abuse it all you want with no bad feelings. . .