PDA

View Full Version : OT - anyone have any free calendar software to recommend?

andy_b
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
at work we use MS Outlook and it has the calendar and reminder functions. i used to use it all the time to pop up reminders for things i had going on. at home i do not have Outlook, and have no desire to install it (or Outlook Express). anyone have any recommendations for a free software of this type, or is this feature hidden in WinXP anywhere that i may not have looked? i have the rest of the Office Professional suite installed.

i guess i could install Outlook Express if i really had to and it had an option just to use the calendar (but i don't even know what type of calendar is in it because i have never used it).

andy b.

GadgetBuilder
07-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Look at the countdown timer here:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools.asp

Lots of other programs that work well there too.

John

lugnut
07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Andy, IF you happen to have MS Office on your computer at home, there is a little unknown program called "Schdule" buried in there. You will have to go into the Office files and find it. SCHPDL32.exe is it. wonderful calendar, todo list, contact list and scheduler.
Mel

SGW
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I use Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail with a calendar/scheduler add-on that's available on the Thunderbird website.

john hobdeclipe
07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I've used "Time & Chaos" for several years and like it, although like most softwares, they keep featurizing it and it gets more and more bloated. But their version 5 is available free.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.chaossoftware.com/products.asp

andy_b
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
thanks guys!
i searched for the SCHPDL32 file, but didn't find it located on my PC. i never installed Outlook Express when i installed Office, so the program may not have been installed.

i downloaded the T&C software and looked at the karenware site, but decided to give the T-bird add-on a try before installing yet more software on my PC.

i ended up installing the ReminderFox T-bird add-on, and it looks like it will do what i need. just a simple reminder program. i'm currently conducting a test to see if it actually pops up a reminder. if so, i will probably just use it for now.

thanks again for all of the suggestions.

andy b.

SGW
07-07-2009, 12:49 PM
FWIW, the Thunderbird calendar/scheduler I use is called "Ligntning."