PDA

View Full Version : lathe ?

Dave Smith
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I've just run a cross a Rockwell 14/40 engine lathe in reasonably good condition for $1500. is this a good buy? whats the diff between engine and reg lathe? its 3hp 3ph

Fasttrack
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
There is often no difference between an "engine" lathe and an "ordinary" lathe. Just another name for your standard, conventional lathe. Some "engine" lathes were identical to "tool room" lathes minus a taper attachment. Similiarly, what one manufacturer would call an engine lathe, another might call a "tool room" lathe or vice-versa.

Personally, 1500 for a rockwell had better include a lot of additional tooling. I might be persuaded to shell out 1000 if it was in good condition, but 1500 seems steep to me. It does depend, however, on your location.

Quetico Bob
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Personally, 1500 for a rockwell had better include a lot of additional tooling. I might be persuaded to shell out 1000 if it was in good condition, but 1500 seems steep to me. It does depend, however, on your location.

Unless your located in Canada. We donít see the cool way less prices.

Think an engine lathe is the standard lathe. Then you get into Oil field (big bore), bench, toolroom etc. Fasttrack is right, there are many engine lathe designs that are called toolroom. But when you look at a tool room design such as Hardinge and many clones, they are vastly different from an engine style toolroom such as this.

http://www.budgetmachinery.co.uk/newsite/data/bm/lathes/trensintro.htm

Cheers, Bob

JCHannum
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
The 11" & 14" Rockwell lathes are a step above the 10" machines. They are very good, well made, rugged machines. The 14" is a gearhead machine, and given good condition, $1500 is not a bad price at all. Being a gearhead, it is a good idea to put it through all speeds and feeds if possible.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta%20metal/page3.html

Quetico Bob
07-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Sorry, and I humbly apologize for not mentioning CNC lathes, but those are for the ones who canít do it manually. :p

Cheers, Bob

Fasttrack
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry, and I humbly apologize for not mentioning CNC lathes, but those are for the ones who canít do it manually. :p

Cheers, Bob

lol - Thanks, also, for the clarification on the difference between "real" toolroom lathes and engine lathes. I should've mentioned that there are real differences there, but sometimes the terminology gets used pretty loosely :)

JCH - I realize the 14" is a pretty decent machine. I looked at one before buying my Pacemakers but 1500 still seems pretty steep unless you get a really good selection of tooling. 1000 for one that is essentially bare seems like a fair price, but not a steal. I dunno - my judgment on what is a fair price seems to shift based on what I paid for my most recent acquistion :D

camdigger
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
What that lathe might be worth is heavily dependent on where you are and where the lathe is. The good machines for cheap don't come along often other than in the "rust belt".

The next thing to consider is the 3ph drive. Do you have 3 ph available? Do you plan to make your own 3ph (convertor or phase inverter)?

Related to the first point above is "how do I get it home?" A rigger's charges may drive the price out of what might be reasonable, but if you have the knowhow, and are careful, it can be done by the new owner.

Do you have a good idea of the lathe's condition? paying top dollar for something that big, moving it in, and hooking it up before finding it a candidate for a complete teardown rebuild can make one consider taking up knitting....

JCHannum
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Prices will range all over the place depending on location, condition and tooling. I usually consider what would be low end used machine dealer price to be reasonable. You can usually find machines from private dealers at lower prices than what you will see at a dealer for the same machine.

A good 13" or 14" lathe at between $1000 and $2000 is not a bad deal at all, again, assuming acceptable condition. Larger machines can bring less, as they are getting out of the typical home shop range.

Rustybolt
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
It all depends on what shape it's in. Shined up pig is still a pig. Check it out or have someone you trust check it for you.

davidh
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
and again. . . . . why don;;t you guys post where the hE** you are in your profiles. . . ? ? ? ? ? are you ashamed ? ?? ? ? come on, get with the program. we all need to see where in the world you are coming from. . . ..

lakeside53
07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a great deal to me. Nothing around here at the price/performance for years, and if you consider freight on even a moderate distance... double it.

Rustybolt
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
N.E. Illinois, david about 40 miles due west of Chicago

davidh
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
im thinking that your right at the edge of finding good machinery locally. here in northwest wisconsin we find NOTHING. . . .. within 300 miles hardly.
put your location in your "profile". everyone should. it would make it easy to determine how close you may be for personal assistance. . . . . just my humble opinion. i wish you were closer.

Cheeseking
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Well David, here you go....http://www.hoffhilk.com/new/pec_online.htm
Right in your backyard! ;)

Some nice HSM type items and only 10% premium.

Go get em'