View Full Version : OT: Bandsaw tires?

07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I've just resuscitated an old Taiwan 14-inch wood bandsaw from the spiderweb choked back corner of my shop and find that after resting there for 15 years, the tires have rotted away. I am not too happy to see that replacement tires are over $30, since this whole saw is probably worth little more than that.

Any suggestions on a cheaper fix?

07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Cheaper and much better are Urethane tires.They do not crack or dry rot like the natural rubber ones do.And the thickness of the material is consistent.

Do a search for Urethane band saw tires and a bunch of hits turn up.

I bought a set off a guy on Ebay for my 20" Rockwell and a pair cost me $40 including shipping.It takes two people to stretch them on,but it's worth it IMHO.

An alternative would be to buy Urethane flat belting and weld up your own.

J. Randall
07-07-2009, 03:03 AM
If you want to try it out to see if it is worth buying tires for, build them up with masking tape. Might last longer than you would think.

07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks, guys. I may try the tape test first. The saw is 1980s Taiwan -- rough. I tried to convert it for metal some 15 years ago with a speed reduction pulley but that didn't work out so I pushed it back into the cobwebs and forgot about it. I only paid $75 for it and it's probably not worth much more than that around here, so spending $35 - $40 for tires is a risk. I'll be making some craftsman style furniture soon and will need a bandsaw for a few cuts; other than that, I do not expect to be using it. Perhaps I'll just put it up on Craigslist and take my work to my friends wood shop. We shall see.

Thanks again.

C ya.

07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
please keep us up to date on what you do!

07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I have an old craftsman 12" and I made new tires for it out of bicycle innertubes. Could also use a section cut out of a tractor innertube.

Been using them for years.