PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bandsaw tires?

gregl
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I've just resuscitated an old Taiwan 14-inch wood bandsaw from the spiderweb choked back corner of my shop and find that after resting there for 15 years, the tires have rotted away. I am not too happy to see that replacement tires are over $30, since this whole saw is probably worth little more than that.

Any suggestions on a cheaper fix?

THANKS!

wierdscience
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Cheaper and much better are Urethane tires.They do not crack or dry rot like the natural rubber ones do.And the thickness of the material is consistent.

Do a search for Urethane band saw tires and a bunch of hits turn up.

I bought a set off a guy on Ebay for my 20" Rockwell and a pair cost me $40 including shipping.It takes two people to stretch them on,but it's worth it IMHO.

An alternative would be to buy Urethane flat belting and weld up your own.

J. Randall
07-07-2009, 03:03 AM
If you want to try it out to see if it is worth buying tires for, build them up with masking tape. Might last longer than you would think.
James

gregl
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks, guys. I may try the tape test first. The saw is 1980s Taiwan -- rough. I tried to convert it for metal some 15 years ago with a speed reduction pulley but that didn't work out so I pushed it back into the cobwebs and forgot about it. I only paid $75 for it and it's probably not worth much more than that around here, so spending $35 - $40 for tires is a risk. I'll be making some craftsman style furniture soon and will need a bandsaw for a few cuts; other than that, I do not expect to be using it. Perhaps I'll just put it up on Craigslist and take my work to my friends wood shop. We shall see.

Thanks again.

C ya.

RobbieKnobbie
07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
please keep us up to date on what you do!

kf2qd
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I have an old craftsman 12" and I made new tires for it out of bicycle innertubes. Could also use a section cut out of a tractor innertube.

Been using them for years.