PDA

View Full Version : Flood Coolant Pan Problem

Boucher
07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I have my Nardini 1230 lathe coolant pan shimmed up tight on the headstock end and it doesn't drain to the sump on the other end very well. I don't want to go to Anger Management Class but my first thought was cutting torch to the top edge of the pan. I had to go out of town today. After cooling off I am thinking Sabersaw. It won't fit on the bridgeport. I am open to rational solutions/suggestions.

I don't use the flood coolant all that often. I do frequently drop things in the pan. With the shim glued in place the pan is hard to pull out. I got a pacemaker about a week ago and am limited to 10 lbs. pull & lift so I need to come up with something.

MickeyD
07-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I would say either a saber saw or an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to trim it down. I run flood coolant on my big mill and it really is a pain sometimes. The pan clogs up or sometimes it starts foaming too much and the next thing I know coolant is running across the floor again. A couple of weeks ago the sight gauge on the side of the pan cracked (I suspect from the heat) and about 15 gallons of coolant drained out during the night. It is not only a mess to clean up (dry it with a fan and mop with simple green), it gets expensive after a while.

Boucher
07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the Ideas. I have a new 4 1/2" cutoff that was in some other stuff and have never used it. I have built a clone of the Hench Fog Buster for the mill. It is nearly finished. I can't stand the fumes off the mister systems that I have tried. I made such a mess when I tried to run straight light mineral oil on the lathe that I have not had the nerve to try flood on the mill.