PDA

View Full Version : Corrollary to Murphey's Law:

Boucher
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
1. When you dispose of surplus (material -- tools etc.) even if you have held on to it for months or years and not needed or used it. “In a short time you will have to buy it back.”
2. When you lose a tool the best way to find it is to buy a new one. The old one will show up rather quickly.

Just a couple of things experience teaches you that schooling did not.

Forrest Addy
07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
This is the purest Gospel Truth affirmed daily by human experience.

Frank Ford
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
In our shop we often find misplaced items by looking around for them until frustration sets in. Then we shout to the others, "Has anybody seen the. . .?"

Within moments, the cry comes back, "It's on your bench in front of you!"

Interestingly, the lost item appears immediately in the predicted location.

kendall
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Your first one works perfectly well here.
Had a spinnaker and pole here from an old boat I sold off, kept it in the rafters for years. Figured they were too small for my current boat and taking up space I needed. So I sold them off. Two weeks later I bought a boat without a spinnaker that they would have fit perfectly.
Had a bucket full of short 2 to 4 inch aluminum angle cut-offs, sat under the bench for a year or so. Sent them out and the NEXT day I needed to buy aluminum angle to cut into 3" lengths for guide wheel mounts.

Regarding Franks post, What I find really strange is sometimes I'll be working on something, set a tool or part down, then without moving from the bench go to pick it back up and can't find it anywhere.

Ken.

Liger Zero
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Regarding Franks post, What I find really strange is sometimes I'll be working on something, set a tool or part down, then without moving from the bench go to pick it back up and can't find it anywhere.

Ken.

So it's not just me then. Phew.

Wife refers to it as "hyperspacing" her theroy is I put something down and it gets sucked into hyperspace and only reappears when it's energy level decays enough for it to reenter normal spacetime.

...either that she's pulling some kind of prank on me. :D

gvasale
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
my wife calls me on the way home last night. Can't find the can opener. "I've looked everywhere" she says. "Behind the toaster oven?" I ask. She confirms, "everywhere." She says in a huff, "I'm going to buy another one and I'm not waiting till you get home so you can look for it." 1/2 hour later. after the trip to buy the can opener, I get another call. "Oops, I found the can opener behind the toaster oven." So, it happens to them too.

motorcyclemac
07-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Wife refers to it as "hyperspacing" her theroy is I put something down and it gets sucked into hyperspace and only reappears when it's energy level decays enough for it to reenter normal spacetime.

...either that she's pulling some kind of prank on me. :D

She is telling you the straight scoop. Things that you can't find..have to slip to another dimension. You look and look...yet..cannot see it. So you go get another tool of the same description and magically it reappears. IT HAS TO...because we all know that you cannot have two objects occupy the same space at the same time. The original one is really there it is just that the reflected light from it is being redirected to a time around 1836. The part / piece is really there if you would just put your hand on it..you would feel it.. Problem is that you can only see it from 1836.

This same thing happens from times in the future too. That is why we see freaks with purple hair and mohawks... They are from the future and their image is just being reflected to our time.

Cheers
Mac.

saltmine
07-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Tools and parts have a way of dropping into an alternate universe.
When I used to do a lot of carburetor work, I found myself losing things all of the time.
One solution was to buy duplicate tools, that way, when one decided to disappear, you start using the other one, the original tool will reappear out of sheer jealousy.
Same goes for parts....have a few extra clips and washers, and you'll never lose one again.

Your Old Dog
07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I find it disgusting that my query is always found at the absolute place I look. :(

Your Old Dog
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
my wife calls me on the way home last night. Can't find the can opener. "I've looked everywhere" she says. "Behind the toaster oven?" I ask. She confirms, "everywhere." She says in a huff, "I'm going to buy another one and I'm not waiting till you get home so you can look for it." 1/2 hour later. after the trip to buy the can opener, I get another call. "Oops, I found the can opener behind the toaster oven." So, it happens to them too.

My wife is a teachers aide. When one of the women misplaces something in the class room they will look down at their crotch and proclaim " Oh no! I'm growing one". I told her to tell the others "yea, and you know what you can do with it if you expect me to spend my day looking for your stuff !" No sense of humor :D

Falcon67
07-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Wife refers to it as "hyperspacing" her theroy is I put something down and it gets sucked into hyperspace and only reappears when it's energy level decays enough for it to reenter normal spacetime. :D

I believe it. It's the only explanation for things that vanish off the bench. Recently, it was a 25' rule and the other day it was a gate valve. Picked valve up, put it down, walked 15' and back - gone. WTH... Went and got coffee, return, hey it's back.

The "you'll need it as soon as you release it" is why there is so much stuff around here. Drives my wife nuts. But when something goes *boink* and I come up with a replacement or repair materials, it's "how about that".

Thruthefence
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Frank, your items have been beamed up to the Mothership. Often, when we miss them ( tho not always) they tune into our 'probes', and wishing to avoid questions such as " I just had that......." they then beam them back down, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. This causes the normal human reaction of "senior moment", or whatever. They do not wish to call attention to themselves. Occasionally, they will transport the objects back into coffee cans, tupperware containers, pockets, ect, just to keep things interesting, but only after examination is completed.

KenL
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Gee, we all seem dogged by the same time-space demons!! Little buggers do this to mess with your confidence and your wallet IMHO!!

KenL

danlb
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
O'Toole, (Murphy's buddy) had his own corollary to Murphy's Law. Stated simply:

Murphy was an optimist.

Paul Alciatore
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
In our shop we often find misplaced items by looking around for them until frustration sets in. Then we shout to the others, "Has anybody seen the. . .?"

Within moments, the cry comes back, "It's on your bench in front of you!"

Interestingly, the lost item appears immediately in the predicted location.

Is there quiet chuckling after that response? What a bunch of guys!

tattoomike68
07-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I needed two hose clamps to work on our new fountain, sure as the world we went and got some and later I found the big pack of spares we had.

RetiredFAE
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
When you set a tool down, turn away, then turn back and its not there, and you are the only one in the area, its because the little blue men are behind schedule.
They even did a TV show on the subject, it was an episode of the Twilight Zone.
The little blue men are responsible for moving things from one frame of time to the next, when they get behind schedule because of a coffee break, one of them gets hurt, whatever, then objects are slow to appear in the next time frame.
Just saw the episode on the Twilight Zone Marathon that the Sci Fi Channel runs every 4th of July, so you know it must be true! Sci Fi wouldn't lie, or make stuff like that up, would they?

dockrat
07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I needed two hose clamps to work on our new fountain, sure as the world we went and got some and later I found the big pack of spares we had.

And on that subject, just yesterday I needed a hose clamp. I have a drawer full of clamps from tiny to 8". Yup....every size BUT the one I needed.:confused: