PDA

View Full Version : Guys...my shop is goin down for the count...

torker
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
It's finally going to happen.
Everything will be auctioned off.
I don't care anymore.
I'm moving to a bigger place...I will start a new shop with bigger and better equipment...
Me and her really started fightin...I refuse to do that.
To hell with it.
I am NOT going to send some lawyers kids to Harvard.
I'm takin my licks and movin on.
In about a month everything should be gone.
I hope I find a good home for the ol' Ohio that I dearly love.
The rest is just stuff...that I can replace.
I am going to try to save my VanNorman tho...I doubt it will even fetch scrap price...too damn big to manage for most people.
It was all a good learning experience...I know I can run a business now and will likely do well in a bigger place. I'm pretty sure I have a good woman who will back me in my business ventures in the future! Lookin forward to the new year.
I will surface a better and happier man!
Russ

Evan
07-10-2009, 12:47 AM
The only thing I will say about your personal affairs Russ, since you have made them public all along, is that I am not surprised that it came to this. Good luck.

As for an equipment auction right now, I can't think of a worse time in the last decade to try and sell anything for close to what it is worth. I might be interested in something though. Who will be handling the auction?

Fasttrack
07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Is there anything we can do for Russ, guys? Maybe we could work something out, especially with any machines he is attached to. Like the old Ohio or the Van Norman. Surely we can come up with something to put these machines back in Russ' hands when all is said and done?

torker
07-10-2009, 02:51 AM
It's ok guys...this is going to be for the better...
I've given it a lot of thought.
The ol' Ohio...it's a pain to use for day to day business...total loss oil system..makes a big mess.....20 oil screws to remove and oil everytime I use it...it's from days gone by when they had more time.
Very romantic but not up to snuff in todays business climate.
The rest of my stuff is "begineer class" anyway...time to move on and up!
Russ

torker
07-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Whoa...cept for my VN...it's very much a serious metal muncher....I'll be hangin onto it ok.
After usin a 50 taper horizontal...I can't imagine a shop without one!
Russ

John Stevenson
07-10-2009, 03:56 AM
The only thing I will say about your personal affairs Russ, since you have made them public all along, is that I am not surprised that it came to this. Good luck.

As for an equipment auction right now, I can't think of a worse time in the last decade to try and sell anything for close to what it is worth. I might be interested in something though. Who will be handling the auction?

That was a really useful, inspiring and uplifting post Evan, have you ever thought about ambulance chasing ? I can't recall you ever mentioning you have done this - WOW is this a first ?

To Russ, hang in there sunshine and remember in future to stamp on the nest and set fire to the eggs ..............

Evan
07-10-2009, 04:08 AM
I had added that I would be willing to pay a fair price but decided to keep it short. But since you are going to play holier than thou what I am interested in is the bits and pieces that Russ has left over from playing around with CNC.

If you go back through some of Russ' posts you will find that others on this forum warned him about the possibility of this very event. I did not, but am not surprised.

ptjw7uk
07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Russ
I wish you well in all you do in all your future endevours.

I have enjoyed all your posts as an inspiration to all of us going into the deep end.
I think you will enjoy looking for new equipment when you do set up as now you know what each bit of equipment will do for you.

All the best for the future.
Peter

Mcgyver
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
geez Russ, sorry to hear that. if i was local I'd happily let you squirrel stuff away, but its a bit of drive :D

sounds like you've got a good attitude in the face of adversity....for sure that'll take you a lot further than an old mill so keep at it

Dawai
07-10-2009, 07:03 AM
It ain't just spouses that go in different thoughts & directions.. Family member when a elder passes away, they smell "FREE wealth" and act like a bunch of mexican kids after a pinata has been broken grabbing candy.

Proud and poor.. on my 4TH wife, not a magazine trophy, but really good to me. Of course, I am not that handsome young man that used to make the young girls ohh and ahh when I enter a room.

Yeah, I've made a lot more poor choices than women. At least I am not living in a prison somewhere. So don't feel too hard on the ex. We all screw up.. women more than men when they go through the "change of life". Later they got regrets they did what they did.

Wish you would move in next door..

Rustybolt
07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
It ain't just spouses that go in different thoughts & directions.. Family member when a elder passes away, they smell "FREE wealth" and act like a bunch of mexican kids after a pinata has been broken grabbing candy.

Word,dat.

METALARCHER
07-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Just a thought that has got me through times like that: "The best revenge is living well"

Ken_Shea
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey Russ,
That keep your chin up attitude will be a big help, it seems that what's done is now done, hopefully you have learned something positive to take with you from this sad experience and not bitterness. Starting over can be a lot of work, but I think you are used to that, it also can be very enjoyable, a real opportunity and end up being very good for you.

The best

Ken

gnm109
07-10-2009, 08:20 AM
As a now inactive lawyer with hundreds of divorces under my belt, I must say from watching my clients that divorce is a little like dying. The only way to get through one with your sanity is to look a year ahead and keep on truckin'.

I wish you the best. Keep your chin up and stay calm. You'll be back doing what you do best withn a short time.

Regards.

BNM

torker
07-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm ok with all this now. Had lots of time to think it over.
We are both trying to keep it as friendly as possible now.
LOL! I threatened to just move out with nothing and let her deal with cleaning up the salvage yard.....YIKES! She suddenly saw things my way.
I feel badly for her and want to make sure she's looked after as best I can.
She was a good woman for over 30 years...
As for me...I'm looking forward to tryin this deal in a bigger place and seeing what it can really do.
Russ

spkrman15
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Russ,

Good luck man! Do keep in touch. Life would not be the same without you on here :)

Rob :)

P.S. I think David said it the best....." I wish you would move here"

Quetico Bob
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Take care of yourself Russ. Stay in touch.
Cheers, Bob

jimmstruk
07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Torker, the best to you!! Get yourself resettled, new shop going, then keep us posted . I have enjoyed your adventures and especially the pictures of the progress (like as the old ohio). Hope there is more to come. Good luck JIM

Bob Ford
07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Torker,

With every change there is opportunity! You have my best wishes.

Bob

heidad01
07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Torker,
I wish you the best of luck and patience through this. I have enjoyed your posts and learned alot. DavidH.

doctor demo
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Wish you would move in next door..

Move any place You want Russ....except around here. You work to darn hard to be within 500 miles of me, everybody I work for would jump ship:eek: .

Who knows, You might get enough friends and neighbors to attend the auction with Your interest in mind, and end up buying back what ya want for pennies on the dollar.

If they do an internet live auction, I would be glad to help out.

Steve

A.K. Boomer
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Good luck to you Russ, Iv been through it a little and know how difficult it is and iv never been married but had about three 4year live ins so never lost a house or anything,
It would have lacked tact if I brought up a line in your original post to quote, but do want to comment on one thing, take your time, you don't want to go out of the frying pan and into the fire, get to know the most important person in the situation ------ YOU,
And if its a bigger and better shop you desire it doesnt take another person involved to do that with and in fact 9 times out of 10 it will just complicate things,
Last thing you want is a re-peat after you re-build, you need to here that, all of us are vulnerable and blind for awhile when dealing with something of this magnitude... again - good luck. A.K.

lazlo
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Russ, I'm really sorry to hear about that...

If you've got some good friends in the area, you can probably make out OK: machines like the Van Norman will sell for pennies on the dollar, so have a good friend buy it at auction and hold it for you until after the fireworks...

camdigger
07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Well Russ, What can I say? Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

As Red Green says... "Keep yer stick on the ice, and remember we're all pullin' fer ya!"

If'n here was something I could do for you, just PM me.

Your Old Dog
07-10-2009, 10:25 AM
All the best to you Russ. I know you'll come out on top. At one time we faced financial ruin, everything we owned fit into the middle area of a 1 car garage at a friends house and we were a family of 4. We started all over with next to nothing and have come back really well and not with a lot of effort, just new direction. It can be done and it ain't all that hard.

Ray..........

Frank Ford
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Russ -

Since you say you've given it lots of thought, I'll presume you have considered this, but I'll post it anyway.

My divorce is fresh in my mind as the day it happened almost 20 years ago. We'd been married 22, and everything was community property. She presumed we'd sell the house and other stuff when we did the division. Instead, I insisted on appraising ALL of our property, down to the dishes and towels. Then we could each take what we wanted based on a $$ split.

I never had any anger toward her, and when my lawyer suggested a 45/55 split in her favor, that was what I offered and she accepted -- neither attorney got a nickel more than his minimum charge to process the paperwork

Through that I kept my shop, and, it turns out, my house and furnishings. I "paid" her pennies on the dollar for my own tools, rather than losing them at that rate only to replace at full price. I had to work out the most monstrous loans and work two jobs for 6.5 years to do it, but now that those are paid off, I know I did the right thing.

bighammer
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Russ keep your chin up,be careful,and stay as sober as posible. Movein on can be ruff,good luck.

Think about eastern Ohio, move here and I will watch you work, I'm good at that.

Cookie

Tinkerer
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Well Guy's it's not like Russ is being sent to a Gulag... and wont have use of a puter. So I think he'll be around. Now if I wuz you I would start squirreling away all the fiddly bits you picked up... like mic's gauges any new or big cutters. Those punch dies for the iron worker you know the little costlies.. the also needs. ;)

Paul Alciatore
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Sad news. Good luck to you. I hope you can look back in a year or two and feel you are OK.

oldtiffie
07-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Russ,

you have a history - and a bloody good track record - of being triumphant in and over adversity.

I think and hope for nothing less this time.

Its said that: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".

I think that if you were any tougher you'd rust (if you stayed still enough for long enough!!!).

8ntsane
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey Russ
I really sorry to hear its going this way. I hope that you don,t loose all your stuff, those damned machines can be hard to part with. I lost alot of my stuff when the ex and I parted ways after 24 yrs, but yes, you will find another good women, and life will feel better than it ever did before.
As Evan had said, its going to be hard to get a decent buck for your stuff in these times. Hope you come out of this ok.
All the best to you brother,,,I know how all this BS feels,,Ive been there just a few yrs back.
Chin up,,,,,,,forward ho

Paul

rancherbill
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news, but focus on the good news.

Who will be handling the auction?

x2 I be intersted in being informed.

philbur
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
An alternative view is that itís the biggest opportunity of your life, embrace it.

I would evaluate carefully before signing up for a possible repeat performance.

Good luck.

Phil:)

Willy
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I knew you were in Sask. this last week Russ and have been wondering how you made out.Thanks for letting us know that things went well.
As you said there are things more important than money, and when you've had it up to "here", it's time to get out while all your ducks are still in a row.
I wish you the best my friend. I won't say "good luck" because with your attitude and talent you won't need luck!
When you get settled into your new digs give us a shout and fill us in on your new life.

All the best Russ,
Willy

Walter
07-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Best wishes Torker, don't know you, never spoken, but I've started over too, I'm on the downhill side of that right now, finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It'll come to you too. Cheers!

speedy
07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Russ, I dont know the particulars and I do not need to; Good Luck to both you and your wife, for both your futures. As a good man said "such is life".

dockrat
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Russ... so sorry to hear that things fell apart for you there. Knowing you though it won't be long before you have it back together. Your going to miss that great Kootenay scenery that you live in now. Gawd!!! Saskatchewan....miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. BTW it will be more than a one day ride to visit ya now. Good luck buddy and get back to posting your metal adventures ASAP.

wierdscience
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear it Russ,one of lifes hiccups.

Can you bid at the auction,or do you need a strawman?I once bought a car and shop back for a buddy like that,got it back cheap too.

Good your dealing with it,it is afterall just stuff,no sense in making each other miserable over it.

tattoomike68
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
The best type of woman is one thats already married and lives in your house, if she turns into a bitch you kick her down the road. then her ex can be a room mate and you can have keggers both and call up slutty gals 2X to come party. :D

been there done that..

Too_Many_Tools
07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear it Russ,one of lifes hiccups.

Can you bid at the auction,or do you need a strawman?I once bought a car and shop back for a buddy like that,got it back cheap too.

Good your dealing with it,it is afterall just stuff,no sense in making each other miserable over it.

If there is any significant money involved, selling to a friend cheap to avoid a fair judgment can come back to haunt you.

If fraud is proven, you can end up owing a whole lot of money to the ex.

TMT

madman
07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I just want to say I wish you the best. If you need a place to visit My wife and I will put you up for a while so you have a bit of a Holiday. I can be fun I been told. Just keep this in mind im not too far away and you are welcome to come stay a year or so and hang out buddy. Madman

doctor demo
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=madman I can be fun I been told. Madman[/QUOTE]
I was in a Truckstop in Nevada and read that same thing on a mens room stall wall .:D

Steve

oldtiffie
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Steve.

This one? - which should sort the introverts from the extroverts:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Funnies/Is_that_all1.jpg

doctor demo
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Steve.

This one? - which should sort the introverts from the extroverts:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Funnies/Is_that_all1.jpg

What a great way to brighten up a room:D .

Steve

CCWKen
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
We can tell ya to "hang in there" but after going through it twice myself, I know what a challenge that phrase really means. Just don't go off by yourself. Keep or buy a PC if nothing else and hang with us here. I've been single since 1989 and everyone keeps saying "the third time is the charm" but I ain't takin' no more chances. :D

Dawai
07-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I found my wife on the internet.

Finding a mate, you gotta pick the "good one" from all the others (culls).

Problem is, most women/some men put on a false facade. You don't really know the woman till you have lived with them a while. THEN, even then, if you both do seperate things and don't share your life you go in different directions.

I keep waiting on wife number 4 to change like #1,#2,#3 did. I have never caught her in a lie, nor cheating, nor.. so far so good. Perhaps this female companion will last me the rest of my years.

Old Jack, he said you needed to take your financee up in the mountains where there is no tele, no radio, nothing but you and her. After a couple weeks if you are still talking to each other you might make a good companion. I miss working with Jack.

NOW my wife's family, I ain't married to them, told mom in law-aunt (twins) in law if they gave me any crap I could pitch them into the street. I have relaxed on that viewpoint.. somewhat.. Aunt-in law said she'd never set foot into my house again. Long distance to inlaws is a good thing. No meddling.

My wife also came with a cat, deballed and declawed.. I was concerned she "altered" the males to suit her for a while.

madman
07-11-2009, 08:28 AM
[quote=madman I can be fun I been told. Madman[/QUOTE]
I was in a Truckstop in Nevada and read that same thing on a mens room stall wall .

Steve

Hey STEVE what you doing hanging around ONE OF THOSE WASHROOMS LOL?Yuch

The Fixer
07-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh the drama of it all................
Give it a full year then your life will be your own again,

gnm109
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm keeping the woman I've got. there's too much training every time you get another one. :D

Errol
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Russ, if it's not too late, I would try to work things out between you and her. Based on your past postings, I can see you have a great setup and shop and clients, and to change and leave all this behind would be a mistake.

I'm not thinking so much of companionship and life partner, but your shop life.

A few years ago I moved and thought in a a few months or a year and I would simply have my new shop up and running like before. Now five years later, the new shop is there, but I still can't find anything, and am finding myself walking often around in circles. Also, being in a new community, still haven't found those "connections" to go through their scrap bins for materials, and still looking for shops to buy nuts and bolts.

I would try to get the old relationship working somehow. That's my 2 cents.

Ken_Shea
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm keeping the woman I've got. there's too much training every time you get another one. :D

Yeah, you think she'd get tired of it :D

Alistair Hosie
07-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems.If I could offer you advice stow away as much of the small stuff with a freind that you can slowly and quietly and stay dumb about it I have witnessed myself some greedy women over the years they can bleed a good man dry. sorry again if I were nearer I would help.Some so called friends will try to bleed you too watch out for such arseholes no names mentioned even here. keep your chin up Alistair and God Bless

doctor demo
07-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I was in a Truckstop in Nevada and read that same thing on a mens room stall wall .

Steve

Hey STEVE what you doing hanging around ONE OF THOSE WASHROOMS LOL?Yuch
I have heard that Nevada realy frowns on public urination in parking lots:D so it is the lesser of two evils.
Steve

Too_Many_Tools
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems.If I could offer you advice stow away as much of the small stuff with a freind that you can slowly and quietly and stay dumb about it I have witnessed myself some greedy women over the years they can bleed a good man dry. sorry again if I were nearer I would help.Some so called friends will try to bleed you too watch out for such arseholes no names mentioned even here. keep your chin up Alistair and God Bless

If she is a smart one, she has already inventoried your shop.

I have known several guys try to hide stuff...it came back to bite them each and every one.

Hide stuff at your own risk

The question you need to ask is has she been hiding stuff/money of her own?

Some women plan for years in advance for their divorce.

torker
07-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Whoa! Thanks guys for all the advice but honest...I'm tryin to end this as friends....
I cannot possibly hate someone who i spent my entire adult life with.

I'm lettin her keep the gob of loot that disappeared...and I'm keepin ALL my small stuff...and I have a bunch!
I'm being honest with her and fair.

I learned a lot from this experience.
My business was a huge success in my eyes...it gets better everyday....in large part to you guys for steering me right early on.
My regular customers are pissed that I'm leaving...but I can do better in a bigger place.
I'm excited about the future...
BTW...I had the gurl out on a portable job yesterday...gawdamm that girl can weld!
4th time stick welding and she was running beads as good as any pro.
I'm gonna miss having her around i'll tell you.
Bringing her in for a few more jobs to catch up...she can't lift much anymore but she can still weld.
People grow apart...I refused to ever grow up...she grew old in a few short years. It's best this way...
I'll be around here...don't forget that!
This place was like my second home for a long time...lol!
Russ

Dawai
07-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm gonna miss having her around i'll tell you.

Otherwise known as SUPERWOMAN?? ok.. I'll crawl back under the turnip truck.

My wife has made some really good plum jam.. and just vacuumed the floor, fed the dog, harvested the garden tonight.. we got canned goods slid under the bed in the spare room.. aww.. I guess I got one of them S-W too..

gunbuilder
07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
...she can't lift much anymore but she can still weld....
Russ

Russ,
You make it sound like she is pregnant.

Thanks,
Paul

JRouche
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Holy crap!! Ive been away for abit... WHAT!!!! Really.. Its done huh... Ill PM.. Shoot dude.. Blows me away... JR

BadDog
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Don't know what to say, sorry to hear about the troubles Russ. I can sympathize in many ways. Scary looking down the barrel of that gun, but sounds like you've got a good outlook on it and stand a good chance of coming out just fine. Good luck in all of it, and if there is anything I can do from down here in the broiler known as Phoenix, let me know (just got down to 108 and I spent most of the day doing yard work).

For what it's worth, my wife and I have been having problems on and off for years. We even separated for a year. She's certainly not the "woman I married". In fact, I would say that some of it is very near what you said in "she grew old in a matter of a few years". But worse than that, she also grew completely irresponsible and she's a marketer's wet dream (I can't tell you how many piles of crap she bought on impulse, but she can't hold a job, so guess who covers the bills). <sigh> But I've decided that if it doesn't get much worse, I'll just be resigned to doing my best to ignore it. I've got my shop and my motorcycle to provide distraction and marginal entertainment. Not how I wanted my life to go, but I just don't want to have to start over. Plus she would be an even bigger burden after a divorce. With the way things work here, I would basically have to give her over half of everything, pay the lawyers, and THEN support 2 households almost indefinitely because of her (IMO) grossly exaggerated health issues that supposedly keep her from working (or doing house work, or contributing in any meaningful way). <shrug> Yeah, if you can't tell, we're in a bad patch right now...

See, now don't that make you feel better! :p

Oldbrock
07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Russ, you will probably guess I'm watching these posts with interest and wishing you were not going through this situation. As you will know from all the posts we are pulling for you and hope you come through this with your upbeat attitude intact. After all, attitude is everything. Any friends going to the auction for you? (hope she is not privy to this site) Love to rescue that little turret lathe for you. Please keep us updated. Peter

wierdscience
07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
If there is any significant money involved, selling to a friend cheap to avoid a fair judgment can come back to haunt you.

If fraud is proven, you can end up owing a whole lot of money to the ex.

TMT

Not at an auction.

bruto
07-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Late to the party, just saying sorry that it's come to this, but remember that living well is the best revenge. Good luck.

Too_Many_Tools
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Not at an auction.

Ever been to a crooked auction?